I am a ghost, this is a dream, something is here...it calls to me.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by larryboy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:

Not to start an argument, but if that's true why did the Park Service fix up Barker just before it burned down? Or was it another group that fixed Barker and did it illegaly?
    larryboy likes this.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

They probably wrote themselves a permit or exemption. They've put a new roof on the buildings at Warm Springs and the shed promptly got burned...hmmm, a pattern perhaps. The Geologists Cabin is in need of a roof too. The statute or whatever is posted at Russells Camp if you want to read the law.

Thanks for reading, greenfly!! :thumb

I'm going to try and finish this up shortly. I thought about ending the story at the hot springs, but some more cool stuff happened after that, so I'll include the trip home too.
    dave6253 likes this.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    The lighting was just incredible. Makes my heart ache just to watch it...I'm a truly blessed person.

Here I am once again.

[​IMG]

Camp set up again.

[​IMG]

You really owe it to yourself to come here and stay...don't just ride through scared of naked people. Stop, take off your clothes and soak in a tub.

[​IMG]

Time for a shower. Lizard Lee has the source pool in winter mode so it doesn't take as long to get warm water.

[​IMG]

The three guys that were walking up the road in the last video were at the springs after my shower. I always let new people to me just talk. They were kind of funny..."I'm a doctor", "I'm a prison shrink", "I'm a film maker and I know Bill Clinton"...cracks me up, good for you!! They were all nice if a touch full of themselves. Yeah, I'm a dirtbag. The film maker had some freaking awesome stories, I'll give him that. I'll tell you about it sometime in a hot tub nearby.

Time for dinner, glad I snagged the mayo packets from Furnace Creek.

[​IMG]
    flying.moto and dave6253 like this.
  4. 35000km 05 X

35000km 05 X Adventurer

Oddometer:
    un real RR :clap
    what helment cams is it
    larryboy likes this.
  5. old2wheeler

old2wheeler Former nÔÔb

Oddometer:
    La Veta, CO except for the wind, it'd be heaven
    Yes, and in putting in all the effort it took to share that, you have blessed all who are following your journey...

Larry, I'm 70 years old and, though I fell in love with photography in 1955, when I ride, I can't do a very good job of getting myself to stop and take pictures. I believe, in reading these pages, I may just have learned to slow down and not smell the roses, but photograph them... Thank you so much,
    larryboy likes this.
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Thanks, the helmet cam is a GoPro Hero. It's the older wide angle 5 megapixel. They have a newer camera that shoots hi def.

Thanks, someday I hope to be a good photographer. :deal There are usually a few flowers, but the cold snap took them out until spring...I know you weren't being literal, but it made think of real flowers. :lol3

My wife reads along with us and asked if I was dragging it out so it wouldn't end...Uhmm noooo, I just spent two days on one video. :ddog I had to get the length right in one program, save it in high quality, export to another program, add the Tiger Army song, save in high quality, import to another program to compress it, then upload to Vimeo.
  7. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drag it out Rob, I don't want it to end, unless you are planning on racing the train or something equally exciting in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks for another great report!!!!!
    larryboy likes this.
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Hi LarryBoyWife :wave Enjoy your jeep trip to DV, go in the spring when the flowers are in bloom. :flug I hit the end of it a few years ago and it made magical DV even more magical. I sure wish I could get the two of you up here for our Hells Canyon gathering.

OK LarryBoy you can go on with your story now. :clap

P.S. I don't really want it to end.
    larryboy likes this.
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    It's Saturday morning. I'm not going anywhere today. I'll read my book that I got from Briggs Cabin and soak until I turn into a prune.

[​IMG]

I met this guy and he spilled his life story. The last time he came here was in 1989 and he's been miserable ever since. He tells me enough about himself that I figured out where he works. He was planning to stay until tomorrow, but I think he embarrassed himself or something..next thing I knew, he loaded up and drove away. I won't share all of what he said...he wants a V-Strom after he gets rid of his sport bike and maybe he'll show up here at ADV someday, perfectly nice guy who isn't very happy right now. I hope he gets better.

[​IMG]

I've been asking everybody about weather and I'm hearing the same thing, snow to the north. It almost got here, but the mountains stopped it.

[​IMG]

It was a nice peaceful day, not many people around today.

[​IMG]

Met this little guy.

[​IMG]

Not much left to eat that I want to eat, yuck.

[​IMG]

Last sunset in the desert for awhile.

[​IMG]
  10. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning...I resist the urge to jump in a hot tub, I can't waste time today. It's going to be a tough long day, 400 miles or more. I'll have to go south and west before I can turn north, half the day will be spent just to get even with where I am now, but on the other side of the Sierra's.

[​IMG]

I'm outta here!!

[​IMG]

Hard on the gas this morning, don't need to save the tires anymore.

[​IMG]

I saw a gigantic deer before the South Pass.

[​IMG]

Sigh...

[​IMG]

To stay off the pavement longer I took the road that goes towards the Talc City Mines.

[​IMG]

I went into Olancha and got some coffee. It's cold of course, sat inside and warmed up, charged my MP3 player and made a call home. On down the road...

[​IMG]

I took the back road out behind Lake Isabella. Gassed up in Wofford Heights, I'm taking hwy 155 over the hill. The girl working at this gas station gave me a free cup of coffee. It sounds like rain at some point today and I don't have any rain gear...none. I begged a trash bag and she went one better and gave me a poncho. That was so cool!!!

[​IMG]
  11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Wow!
    :clap
    larryboy likes this.
  12. Second chance

Second chance Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thank the missus for allowing you to take the time to share your adventure with us and also for giving you a pass to go to DV in the first place. You are truly blessed to have such an understaning wive. She's a keeper! :clap
    Like I said before I'm not looking forward to the end. It's been a great adventure for me just sitting in my easy chair. So many great pictures and videos.
    larryboy likes this.
  13. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    One last freezing cold pass.

[​IMG]

Sure am glad I scored that rain gear!!!

[​IMG]

and so another journey comes to an end...

[​IMG]

It's good to be home...I'm laughing because the dog didn't like the rain gear.

[​IMG]

I'm working on a finale video for Super Suz' ADD. :deal :lol3
  14. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    Well done man, well done:clap
    flying.moto and larryboy like this.
  15. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Great RR LB....I'll be checking out more from you. Old and new.
    larryboy likes this.
  16. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hate to see it end, get back out there and ride :D . Thanks for doing it. bete.
    larryboy likes this.
  17. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Larryboy - Thanks for the vicarious excellent adventure. You definitely take the "road less traveled" - I'm inspired. Both your riding & photo skills exceptional. Following in your 'foot steps' (make that tire tracks) this March. Well...some of 'em anyway. Not sure the KLR & my rudimentary dirt skills are up to the Lippencott grade yet - we'll see. Your meals look scrumptious - Do you use synthetic oil for the poultry fry, or just regular stuff ? In spite of the offending rain gear, your pooch looked pretty happy in the blurry reunion pic. Be well, j
    larryboy likes this.
  18. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Rob. I enjoyed sharing some miles with you.
    larryboy likes this.
  19. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the fantastic ride report! Love the pics of the lonely areas and your descriptions with history.
    Being stuck in the shop working on bikes (there are worse fates) and looking out the window at snow and cold, your story helps bide the time till bike riding season comes again.
    However, being in snow country I'll find outlet on the snowmachine, (snowmobile to southerners) to get another kind of rubber-side-down experience so winter ain't all bad. The back country and mountain areas we ride in provide a similar experience to what you paint in your DV ride reports.
    Keep ridin and writin!
    larryboy likes this.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for reading!! :thumb

Some stats:

The gps showed almost 1900 miles for the trip when it died. From looking at maps and crunching numbers I think the total miles were right around 3800.

I had 50 pounds total for gear. That would go up ten or fifteen pounds when I had extra fuel or food.

Lyrics used are by Tom Delonge. I met him last summer and got to chat a bit. He may seem really immature to most, but he's just a guy like me and wants to be loved. I told him and the band about my trips including the use of his lyrics and he really loved the idea. He was doing a series of shows sober because everybody around him said he sounds better sober (he does), but that he was so nervous he might puke.

I'm fiddling with this 'finale' video. It's kind of cool and shows some of what I didn't share in 2.5 second blocks so we don't have to dwell on it. :lol3 I'm not sure if I'll post it, I might do it differently.

Anywhooo...thanks, posting brings reading which brings more posting, that's what forums are about and you guys(girls) complete the cycle.