I am a ghost, this is a dream, something is here...it calls to me.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by larryboy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for another great ride report. :clap
    larryboy likes this.
  2. derrickb

derrickb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed this report very much! Thanks for sharing!!
    larryboy likes this.
  3. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:
    Most Excellent LB!

I have been thinking about how to make an upcoming trips ride report "unique." It is obvious that you have thought about how to make ride reports unique to you, and for me, it makes you one of my favorite adventurers to follow here on ADVRider.

Thanks for all of the work you put into your reports it is appreciated! :clap

Safe rides, and excellent journeys to you!
    larryboy likes this.
  4. dustyrider

dustyrider dirt is good for you

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Is there any chance you would be willing to list the music you used in your videos? Lots new to me.
    larryboy likes this.
  5. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting this report together, Rob. DV is on my list, mostly thanks to your nice documentation of the area.:beer
    Lion
    larryboy likes this.
  6. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    This video is a fantastic finale. If we have movie night again, I'll need a copy of this one and the others, if you are up to it. The OMC fellas are on their way to Cabo and I'm jonesing for my own little trip after looking at this one and thinking about their ride. Might do the Carrizo Plains ride with the (mostly) LA peeps. Thanks for that!

SS
    larryboy likes this.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I've done that in the past, but nobody was really asking on this one so I didn't. Yeah, I'll put a list together since I used some extremely obscure stuff that deserves a listen if you like my style of music.

Thanks to the rest of you for the nice comments!! I'm glad I've inspired some of you to go to DV, study your maps, go prepared and don't feel the need to force the issue with any of these trails...the desert can bite and bite hard...ride within your comfort zone.

When I started doing reports like this I wasn't really thinking of a way to be unique, I was thinking of a way to get out what is going on in my head. I'm hardly a writer, nor a poet.

Yeah, Suz...I'll keep it in mind and maybe do something for movie night.
  8. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :norton Man, you are a hard-ridin' gearheaded laureate. :beer
    larryboy likes this.
  9. dustyrider

dustyrider dirt is good for you

Oddometer:
    I look forward to the list. Thank you, larryboy.
    larryboy likes this.
  10. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Hey LB,,

You mentioned earlier in post that you had attached your tent poles across your bars..which I thought was an awesome idea. You have any pics of how you did it??

I was thinking about just ziptieing them to my bark busters, but would like to come up with a more reusable method. Thanks.
    larryboy likes this.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I didn't realize how much there was. :eek I think I got all of it. Basically the Vimeo vids have music, the u-toob vids that have music are because I knew that the artist doesn't have a major label deal and I asked them if I could use the song.

Credit where credit is due:

Riding videos:

Meeting up with Paris-Gardening, Not Architecture
    ~Moments~

Saline-Courtney Love/Hole, Music written by Billy Corgan
    ~Never Go Hungry Again~

North Pass-The Wipers
    ~Is This Real?~

Monitor Pass-Street Dogs
    ~Into the Valley~

Silver Canyon-Gasoline Heart
    ~Eager Seas~

Wyman Canyon-My Chemical Romance
    ~Early Sunsets Over Monroeville-Demo Only~

Wyman Canyon in the Blizzard-AFI
    ~Morningstar-Hidden Bonus Track..Battled~

Last Chance Springs-T.S.O.L.
    ~No Way Out~

Dedecker Canyon Narrows-Motion City Soundtrack
    ~History Lesson~

Cerro Gordo-Owl City
    ~West Coast Friendship~

Darwin Mines-Farewell Continental
    ~Total Devastation~

Rogers Pass-Alkaline Trio
    ~This Addiction~

Chicken Corner to Briggs Camp-Farewell Continental
    ~Our House-Cover Song~

Butte Valley-Flatliners
    ~This Respirator~

Goler Canyon-Volbeat
    ~Still Counting~

Lippencott #1-Nirvana
    ~Dumb~

Lippencott #2-Brandon Flowers(This disc is a masterpiece)
    ~Right Behind You~

Lippencott #3-Marcy Playground
    ~Thank You~

Lippencott #4-Neil Young(Also a masterpiece..forget politics)
    ~Rumblin'~

Mengel Pass-Yeah, yeah, yeahs...
    ~Zero~

Saline Valley Final-Tiger Army
    ~Where the Moss Slowly Grows~

Scotty's Castle Slideshow-Brandon Flowers
    ~Jilted Lovers and Broken Hearts~

Titus Canyon 'glyph Slideshow-Angels and Airwaves
    ~Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce~
    (He leads the world thru light...)

Briggs Camp Slideshow-Tower 7
    ~Contact miles.kenney at yahoo dot com for music~

Ubehebe Lead Mine-Not Your Style
    ~Not a Star~

Background music for Briggs Cabin tour-Angels and Airwaves
    ~Everything's Magic~

Finale Slideshow-Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

It was part of my design rather than an after thought, it might not work for everybody and every setup, but it works good with the Highway Dirt Bike stuff. I just put them in there for you and layed the mini-bungees there so you could see it. The gps is out of the mount, but it doesn't take up any more room than the mount itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    OK, Cool. Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought the way you packed was great and I am going to be doing my set up pretty much the same. The tentpoles going across the bars solves the issue with being too wide in the back...although when doing any touring on my DRZ, it will probably not involve any tight single track.

I have a set of used Dirtbagz that a buddy gave me when I got my DRZ. He used to have a DRZ and no longer did, so he did not use these. Without the poles in there, I can easily fit my tent and fly in the one bag, and use the other for my sleeping bag and sleeping pad....both yet to be purchased. The sleeping bag I currently have fills one of my street bike saddle bags, which is three times the size of the Dirtbagz bag.
    larryboy likes this.
  14. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut Flatulent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Larryboy for all the effort you put into taking us along on an epic journey. This has not helped my attention span for current work related matters...lol. I am currently prepping for a nine day DV dirt excursion starting in less than two months. There will be two of us on well prepped XR650l's. It will be the first time either of us has been in DV with dirt worthy equipment so we are stoked to get after it. I would be interested in your recommendation of which maps you have found the most helpful. What should we expect for drinking water and fuel resupply opportunities?
    larryboy likes this.
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Thanks for reading. :thumb

I'll PM you with answers to your questions. Gimme a day or two, I've got a few more to answer first.
  16. Rangerman28

Rangerman28 Just another dude

Oddometer:
    Hey larryboy

I stumbled upon this site from my dad who just started dual sport riding and your ride report was the very first one I've read. I just spent the past week reading this whole 25 page report and I've loved every second of it. I used to ride dirtbikes when I was younger and since my pops is getting into dual sporting I started looking for a bike so I can go on these incredible adventures like yours.

Thanks for the awesome read and in about another 9 months or so when I get home from Iraq you'll be seeing some ride reports from me hopefully.

Rangerman
    larryboy likes this.
  17. TWC4

TWC4 FULL TILT BUGGY

Oddometer:
    Thanks Larryboy, what a wonderful read.
    larryboy likes this.
  18. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Wow LB,

You covered more on one RR then most of us will see of DV in a lifetime. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the view of Stripped Butte from Mengal is the most amazing in the park. Thanks for the incredible e-journey.

One question... Is there a direct route heading east out of Pleasant Canyon down into Stripped Butte without having to exit onto the West side road and into Goler entrance?

Again, much appreciated.
    larryboy likes this.
  19. 340hp

340hp Long timer

Oddometer:
    No direct route, not since S21 was passed. There used to be, before S21 (the California Desert Protection Act of 1994), a single track from south of Rodgers Pass that dropped down to Butte Valley (old maps show it as a double track). Some GPS maps still show the route, but it will get you into trouble (the same trouble as trying the closed route from Aguereberry Point to Trail Canyon). The route you ask about from South Park Canyon to Butte Valley was closed and "restored" to wilderness quality prior to the passage of S21 by the NPS, in the effort to justify WSA protection status. The route/road closure was a "restoration" project undertaken within a National Park without following the guidelines of the National Environmental Protection Act process (the NEPA process is required... apparently for everything else they do in the Park except closing historic roads).

Larry did an incredible job relaying the cultural value of a dirt road ride through DV and the neighboring mountains. Thanks.
    larryboy likes this.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Thanks for joining just to say that, means the world to me. Thank YOU for your service, when you get home you and your Pops need to ride the TAT together. :deal

Thanks.

Thanks for reading!! I think 340hp there below you answered that better than I could have. Thanks, 340!! :thumb

Basically there is a ton of stuff that's been "restored" that probably shouldn't have been. The route from Rogers Pass, Last Chance Canyon on the north end among others. The Slate Range is really close to a wilderness designation with just the Escape Route being cherry stemmed through it, that's why I went ahead and rode the single track thru there before it gets closed.

Hope that helps and thanks for reading.

OldMonkey, I'll just answer here since I'm typing already. :lol3 Get a Tom Harrison map for Death Valley, he's online or in gas stations throughout the Sierra's.

Fuel: I'll start to the north..Dyer, NV..Beatty, NV..Furnace Creek..Shoshone..Stovepipe Wells..Trona and finally Panamint Springs...Olancha is within striking distance, but it just barely buys you any range by the time you get back..it's cheaper than PSR and has more groceries.

Water: I drink the water from the source spring at the Saline Valley hot springs. Other places for water..cabins in South Park Canyon, cabins in Butte Valley, Scottys Castle. I will readily ask for a bottle of water when I meet somebody in a Jeep, people like to help and I get thirsty.

I usually do an anti-clockwise loop of the park just in case I feel like riding Titus Canyon since it's one way from the Beatty side. It really takes a map in front of you to follow half of what I'm saying..until then it's clear as mud.

Thanks again to all.

:beer