I am a ghost, this is a dream, something is here...it calls to me.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by larryboy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Sweet! :clap

Been looking forward to this RR! Was beginning to think that you may have moved on from these epic creations ... so glad I can enjoy at least one more Larryboy ride report ...

Thanks so much for all the time and effort in creating the RRs I enjoy so much! :D

-- SFMCjohn
    PS: missed you at the Dirtbag ... hope to see you on 12/19?
    larryboy and dave6253 like this.
  2. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    is another Larryboy tale!

So I've been scanning the maps and dreaming of and planning my own DV ride this winter. I even reread some of your other DV reports... again. (The stuff captivates my imagination.) Then a couple weeks ago someone posted in another thread they had spotted your bike in DV.

YES! Was he just out for the weekend? Will he write about it? Will we be inspired by yet another masterpiece?

So everyday since, I've scanned Ride Reports. Looking not at the title, but searching for my favorite author. Today, Christmas came early! 21 Days! Awesome!

***** I hereby make a motion to have this masterpiece in the making granted STICKY status.:D
    larryboy likes this.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading, folks!! :thumb

John, you two kids really got hitched? I must be the last to find out!! Congrats!!! What are we doing the 19th?

Dave, you're just too dang nice!! I really struggled as to whether or not I'd do another report or not. I sat down last Friday and went through some of my video footage and got excited about it. I'll do my best, but I'm going to cut a few corners here and there..like no photo editing...none, I'm not doing it. :deal

On with the story, I don't want Ladybug up early to drink coffee and not have an update. :lol3
    Nixels and SFMCjohn like this.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I was sooo incredibly stoked to see my buddy Paris!!! That's him at the end of the first riding video. We met here at the springs back in 2007, hooked up again in 2008 and missed each other in 2009. We were back on track and the whole gang that I met back in 2007 was here this time. Paris had me toss my camp up really quick as there was going to be a potluck at the lower springs for dinner!!!

Can you believe this spread?!? There was even a duck cooked in a rock oven all day..super tasty!!

[​IMG]

I shot some really good video of the guitar playing around the fire, but it's shot in High Def and very labor intensive to edit and compress...I may add it in later, but for now you'll need to imagine if you will.

[​IMG]

We had a super awesome evening!! We went back up to camp to go for a hot springs soak. The street bike and TE610 showed up about then and I'd been there for three hours already. :lol3

My plans for the next couple of days? Mostly this:

[​IMG]
  5. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I get up pretty early to go for a soak.

[​IMG]

I'm starving as I mostly had veggies for dinner last night. Paris likes to sleep in.

[​IMG]

I went up to Last Beer Dan's camp to rustle up some grub. This is Dan, cool guy!!

[​IMG]

This is Kite Bob, he flies kites..go figure.

[​IMG]

This is Tammy, super fun gal!!

[​IMG]

This is Steve, we all really engoyed his guitar playing. Very good picker and a great guy to talk to. He heard about this place and drove from Oklahoma just to check it out.

[​IMG]

There were a ton of really cool rigs here this time, so I spent the morning walking around looking at stuff.

This cool set up belongs to Sage, he had a chopper in the trailer. For some reason I didn't take a picture of the bike..I think it was because his dog didn't like me and I was nervous. He wanted to smack the dog, but I asked him not to as I thought my motorcycle boots were the problem...right down in his face with plastic shiny stuff and buckles. I was right as I saw the dog later, I was barefoot and we got along fine.

[​IMG]

Darwin Dave's parents were out for the week.

[​IMG]

Time to prune up again.

[​IMG]
    dave6253 likes this.
  6. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob, another ride report? There goes the neighborhood. Dan is actually an inmate. Goes by Phats1 in these parts. And 21 says in DV? I could only dream. Absolutly awesome!!!!! There are very few that understand the lure of the desert. You seem to capture it! Keep it up and dont ever change. Guys like you are what make Advrider what it is. Not some poser looking for attention. A real adventure rider that's willing to take the time to share his adventure, that's you.

Thanks for taking the time. There are people that really appreciate what you put into it.

Nate
    larryboy likes this.
  7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :*sip*

Some interesting camp set ups there.

And what Nate said. :thumb
    larryboy likes this.
  8. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It was a nice wedding; Lake Pillsbury and KLRs ... ha! :D

There's a sendoff party for Jonah Street at 6:30 pm Sunday at the club ... hope to see you there ...?

Looking forward to the rest of the RR, we were worried about all of you in DV over T-day with all the weather and cold ... looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip ... :clap

See you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
    larryboy likes this.
  9. big-t

big-t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    21 days.......:huh

While your loading the next segment,I'll be trying to figure out where I went wrong.....:2cry

Great start,looking forward to the next installment..:clap
    larryboy likes this.
  10. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Another great larryboy RR . . . . . . .

In.
    larryboy likes this.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the nice comments!! Not sure if I'll make it over to the SFMC on Sunday, it's a Christmas Shopping Day for us.:deal

A day of goofing around was very relaxing and fun. We went down to see some people that our group had met the day before. They had the ultimate Sportsmobile!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Complete with the very rare four wheel drive conversion.

[​IMG]

They had enough solar power to make one gallon of ice per day.

[​IMG]

I should have kept a journal on the first few days and written down a name or two, but the owner was tall and the selling point was being able to stand up inside.

[​IMG]

Then we got to check out the tepee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up next was a spirited match of desert croquet, we had a super good time!! Dan was destroying us, then Paris came from last place to win the match!!

[​IMG]

On the way back to camp there was a snake.

[​IMG]

I laughed at my humble camp.

[​IMG]

Paris has about three of everything in the van and is a very generous guy.

[​IMG]

We're going to have hamburgers for dinner.

[​IMG]

It's a new camera and I just figured out the zoom..4x mechanical and you can push it out to 16x digital.

[​IMG]

Burgers up!!

[​IMG]
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Hey not only is this RR good with my morning coffee it not bad with lunch,:dg although your burger in camp looks a lot better than my dry sandwich in the work lunch room. :(:

OK back to work for me.........
    larryboy likes this.
  13. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :wave Ladybug :tb

Good readin' :nod
    larryboy likes this.
  14. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Rob, makes we want to wander...
    larryboy likes this.
  15. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    21 days in the desert, good for you. :clap I'm jealous. Desert riding/camping is the best there is. I need to hitch a ride with someone going to Death Valley and check it out. Thanks for the winter time entertainment. I'm looking forward to the rest of this report.
    larryboy likes this.
  16. Yo. I'm Bow.

Yo. I'm Bow. arm chair

Oddometer:
    :norton in,please
    larryboy likes this.
  17. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading!! Looks like the one star bandit got us. :lol3

We got invited to a different camp for guitar and fiddle playing that night. I knew this guys rig from a different forum, very shy..he loosened up after a bottle of Jack, then couldn't find his camp..I'd seen where he camped and took him there and tucked him into bed.

[​IMG]

Another great night of pro level music!!

[​IMG]
    dave6253 likes this.
  18. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    There had been e-talk among the group about heading out together on Saturday and taking Steel Pass, then up to Dyer, NV. When it came down to it, Dan and Bob decided to go out the North Pass on Saturday, Paris and I decided to stay another day for some relaxation. We saw Tammy and her girlfriend off, then had lunch with Bob and Dan before they headed for home.

Some more cool rigs came in today and I really liked this trailer, I think I'm going to build one to go behind my Willys wagon.

[​IMG]

Cool looking lenticular full of aliens.

[​IMG]

What a great day.

[​IMG]

I think we had burrito's for dinner. Paris' gal makes killer burrito's that he brings with him. Paris is a hardcore Burner(Burning Man) and he knows a few things about drinking in the desert.

First thing you do is install a strobe light on your camp so you can find it again.

[​IMG]

Then you hook your buddy up with the party cup!!

[​IMG]

Goodnight to day 3.
    flying.moto and dave6253 like this.
  19. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Morning day four.

[​IMG]

We had some breakfast and I packed up. We got a nice British guy named Graham to snap a few pictures for us.

[​IMG]

Love that guy, Paris. I'm making dust...

[​IMG]

Watercat and dave6253 like this.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've got to go home for a few days. I've got a sprocket on order for the bike, some new GoPro mounts and some maint to do on the bike.

[​IMG]

I poked around a little bit on the way out since Paris had topped off my tank before I left camp. I found a couple of nice stealth camping spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

flying.moto, Watercat and dave6253 like this.