I am a ghost, this is a dream, something is here...it calls to me.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by larryboy, Dec 13, 2010.

1. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    Fuck yeah! I'm in, but screw the popcorn... Where's the Scotch and cigar icon?
    larryboy likes this.
  2. motorzen

motorzen Internet Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Love these ride reports larryboy!

Read yours from before, then found myself riding the OBCDR this summer. Maybe DV next year? I'll blame it on you! :wink:
    larryboy likes this.
  3. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:

:lol3 Good call!

WoodsChick
    larryboy likes this.
  4. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Hell Rob, youre a regular local. You seems to know everyone in DV and the Panamints. :lol3

Great start.

Shit man, I really, really dont have time for this, but I can never pass up one of your RR's! Rock on. :clap
    larryboy likes this.
  5. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Wow, have you guys tried the new multi-quote button? Nice work, Baldy!! Still hate the star system.:deal

That's pretty funny, Todd!!! Drinking and smoking happens later in the story, it's almost like you were there. :huh

I'll take that blame, thanks for reading!!

Yeah, I'm kind of a regular now. I had found out that my good friend Green Turtle Jim had passed away and I was on a quest to find out why as the last time I saw him he was in great health at 72 years old.

Thanks for taking time out of your trip to look in.

:beer
  6. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    larryboy likes this.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Hiya, wachs!!!

Back out to the pavement.

[​IMG]

The temps had come up since I'd been gone and Monitor Pass was open again. I think they plowed it so they could recover all the crashed cars from the snap snowstorm that caught everybody by surprise.

[​IMG]

I didn't expect to see another bike, he was just as surprised.

[​IMG]

There was a super happy Louie Dawg when I got home.

[​IMG]
    flying.moto and dave6253 like this.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    In between work shifts I scrambled to sort through issues I found on the shakedown run.

[​IMG]

I'm going to carry that new tire with me and change it later.

[​IMG]

Fresh rear wheel bearings, seals and spacers went in.

[​IMG]

A new Dirt Tricks sprocket to match the back. The old sprocket was a little too sloppy on the splines for my liking.

[​IMG]

I must have tweaked the radiator when I put the fan on it. A little JB Weld to seal up this seam, worked great by the way.

[​IMG]

Then I had to sort the wiring since my head/tail lights had quit.

[​IMG]

After fresh oil and filter it was time to pack up again. Cut myself on a tuna fish pouch. :lol3

[​IMG]

The bike is ready.

[​IMG]

Once I put that whole pile of stuff on I'll be ready too.

[​IMG]

There is a major snow storm coming in and I've almost goofed around long enough to end up in the middle of it. Let's roll...

[​IMG]
  9. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Dude! Did you leave your fork tube boots off? Put 'em back on! You will pit your tubes and your seals will go as a result!! (get some kind of pertection on 'em anywayz...)

Great RR btw...:evil:1drink
  10. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Yup, they were getting bunched up and binding the front end during full compression. I've never pitted a slider since I ride alone and never take roost to the front of the bike. My trail riding buddies call me the rock chucker. :lol3

CalTrans(DOT) was on top of this coming storm and was out locking gates. I knew I had plenty of time to make it over the pass before the storm, so I went around the gate. The videos get much better after this one since I have fresh camera mounts to cure the rattling and don't use the mount on the bike after this video. I mostly just like the song.

I saw a CalTrans truck over on the other side of the pass. He wanted to know how I got past the gate...me, "What gate? I was camping on a side road!! You gonna let me out?" :lol3

[​IMG]

Mono Lake...I had one heck of a time getting the bike to start here, must have been some bad gas.

[​IMG]

I got ahead of the storm and stopped in Bishop to change out the rear tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looked around a little.

[​IMG]

The best laid plans...

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how this is a legal gate, whatever...

I now get to ride 100 miles to get around this gate. If somebody would have been with me we could have gotten the bikes around the gate.

[​IMG]
    flying.moto, Nixels and dave6253 like this.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I went back out to the highway and down to Big Pine, gassed up once more and checked in with home again. I use the Wells Fargo platinum edition SPOT tracker and I didn't want to worry my wife with two fuel purchases so near each other.

I've never gone up Wyman Canyon from this side, so it took me a few tries to find the right road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was one slab of ice coming out of a stream crossing...it's cold out here.

[​IMG]
  12. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rob, Listening to the audio on that vid, I don't understand why you didn't just twist the lock off with your bare hands, or melt it with the x-ray lasers from your eyes. :dunno
    larryboy likes this.
  13. DCruiser

DCruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cool RR
    subscribed
    larryboy likes this.
  14. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    subscribed for once!!!!!
    Larryboy come ride Oregon w/ us and I'll make it back to DV next year after the snows subside.???????? Then wewill own the land of closed gates!
    Nice start to the ride, are the springs are really that close to your house?
    Later!
    larryboy likes this.
  15. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    I rode up Silver Canyon this summer when the Research Station had their annual open house. We rode up silver canyon, then up to the research station and then back down Wyman Canyon to 168 and then back to Bishop. That was a very long loop and we rode to over 12,000 ft. It is 10,000 ft at the top of Silver Canyon so I'm not sure if there was snow up there this time of year or not. Did you ride all the way up Wyman Canyon to the White Mtn Road? If you did you rode up to over 10,000 ft.
    larryboy likes this.
  16. PhatS1

PhatS1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll chime in and vouch for ole Larryboy being down in Saline. This guy fits in with any group and is just super fun to hang with. He will even give a buddy his last beer (well, the last Keystone, he and Paris bogarted the Cornoa). :freaky As you all know, he is fearless and will ride where mere mortals fear to tread. I'm feeling a little too old and slow to keep up with him, but KTMNate and Dino2000 oughta hook up with Rob sometime - they are all three a little out there when it comes to the throttle in lonely, rocky places. Anyway, it is another great adventure of a ride report. Keep it up and save me a beer. (We'll have another drink to Turtle Jim - a legend of the desert.) Dan
    larryboy likes this.
  17. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I was frustrated beyond words, fuming...:splat

Thanks.

That'd be fun!! The springs are about 360 miles from home, I guess I made it seem close. :lol3
  18. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Hi Jim, yup I rode the same loop with SFKLR(another Jim), except we went north to Dyer and around the north end because we were camped at Benton.

I'll drink to that. :freaky

We need to get together, I scored the only book with pictures of Turtle Jim with his trained burros. It's a great story!!
  19. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I've never actually been in this cabin and it was only a hunch that it was fit for humans. I feel like I really scored!!!

[​IMG]

I found a bunch of sticks for the woodstove and got ready for a super cold night as that storm is blowing in pretty good.

[​IMG]

I made a nice steak that my wifey had picked out for me and prepped enough firewood to last through the night.

[​IMG]

The wind blew really hard all night and the cabin seemed really drafty. I didn't notice in the dark, but this window didn't have any glass left...doh!

[​IMG]

The snow was just starting. I think I'm at about 8,000 feet here and the bike didn't want to start.

[​IMG]

I kicked for about an hour and couldn't even get a snort out of the thing, so I got warmed up and left the bulk of my gear so I could attempt a push start.

[​IMG]

I pushed for close to a mile as the snow started to pile up before I finally got it started within feet of a stream crossing that I didn't want to push through. I went back to the cabin and warmed my paws while the bike warmed up.

[​IMG]

It's time to get out of here before I can't get out.

Some snow riding...

20. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, YOu seemed to have words:poser

Just seems so weird, cuz you are the most 'chill' person I think I've ever met:deal You needs your long ride meds like me I guess:D

Anyway, thanks for sharing that, I look up to you a lot and I sometimes get all agro about stuff too. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
    larryboy likes this.