I could not resist... 950 Super Enduro's Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Jolly705, Jul 24, 2006.

1. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Still quite a few kinks to work out before I'm sure I'll race this next year but it should be the ticket.
  2. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    If it's going to be a racer, lose the center stand ... bike looks AWESOME
    GoGoGavin41 and alvincullumyork like this.
  3. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    That's one of the kinks; but a convenient kink while I'm working out the other kinks. It's all fairly kinky.
  4. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell lose the kick stand. I did that for a couple of races.
    Whodatschrome and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  5. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did a little upgrade of my 07. EXC mask and Acerbis rear fender. LED signals. Might have to do a little more modification to the mask to bring the headlight up a bit (aiming a little low) For some reason the signals won't flash. (rear signals light, but front don't come on at all) Going to go back and check fuse and wiring schematic. Has anyone else wired in LED signals?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Mofo Flake

Mofo Flake Incompetent off-road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending on the manufacturer, the two wires might just be reversed (my 990 needed to be reversed). Start with the front, since that's the one that's not on. Then, if it's on, but does not flash, check a load equalizer to fix... Past that... Hand signals and wheelies.
  7. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the folks at SICASS racing....it sounds like LED signals require different grounding and a different flasher relay.
  8. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re in AZ... blinkers are a sign of weakness... loose them

Kidding of course... Been seeing what you’ve been doing to the bike. Looking good. Looking forward to a day trip up your way when the 790 gets in.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bumped into him! I slept in my motovan Wednesday night (before Thanksgiving) at the Embassy Suites in Palmdale. I woke up Thanksgiving morning , opened the side door to take a peek out, and snow was everywhere (that explains why i was cold though)! I then walked over to a group of guys putting out cones and yellow ribbon tape in the parking lot. One of the guys turned around, and exclaimed "Hey, hey, hey, johnny!!". It was Brian! Hugs were exhanged! We were super excited to see each other again! He was riding his 520 this year since he volunteered as a "sweep rider". I rode my 950A this year. Conditions were absolutely prefect for big bikes. You could easily stay right on the tail of the small bikes (and dice it up with them) since there was zero dust for hundreds of miles. LOTS of brapping action went down with all both of my cylinders.
    alvincullumyork and LaBree like this.
  10. havoc1

havoc1 Big Bikes, Little Brains

Oddometer:
    "By reputation he is some sort of Adv Bike Super Hero, seems there were lots of questions regarding his efforts at LAB2V last year. I'm sure he's a great guy and for sure he has a great story."

Great hype? Super hero? LOL. I said I was gonna do it. I did it. Second time on the 950. First time was a lot of fun too, though not as aggressive. Calico was the normal challenge, primarily in the lead-up with all the loose stuff and the people and bikes splattered all over the lines. I don't recall declaring I was some moto hero, but I got up it and helped some others up it. That assclown Charles Fox aka razor (you're right @alvincullumyork, I'll speak my mind because I figure I've earned the right) decided to make a huge deal out of it because he has a hard-on for adventure bikes for some reason. Not even going to guess what his issue(s) is, but he actually took over the LAB2V instagram and facebook, started arguments with us, banned us, and was later booted from the organization in his official capacity. You'll note that this year I was back at LAB2V helping with sweep. Vindication? Maybe. Didn't see Chuck doing much. But find the video, I'd love to see it. No one loves laughing at me more than me! :D

After Calico last year, I got to enjoying myself a bit too much when we finished Mojave Wash and on the road section paralleling the north side of I-15, I ventured a bit too far to the side and nailed a square edge wash at a spirited pace. This snapped off BOTH M12 12.9 grade bar clamp bolts and I ended up steering the bike with my knees while holding the bars on and trying to use the brakes. Got it down to about 25mph before the curve/berm caught me and I tumbled. One of the funniest, most ridiculous crashes I think I've ever had. Zip-tied it together and rode back to the highway very gingerly. Turns out when I had the BRP top triple mounted, I was in a hurry and paid someone (same guy who taught me to rebuild the LC8 top end after he did a shitty air filter install that bypassed dust under the plate--right 2WheelDynoWorks? There I go speaking my mind again). Turns out I had two rubbers and two aluminum isolators in the clamp--one each on each side. Created a flex point at the top of the bolt thread that finally snapped after many, MANY hard miles and hard offs. I mean, I raced Baja Rally, Rocky Mountain Rally, a couple of Desert 100, a Starvation Ridge 24-Hour, Virginia City GP (before there was an adventure bike route) and a bunch of other silliness before that happened.

Not sure what my rep is. Not incredibly concerned about it. Guys who know me know I'm there to help if you need it. I don't know that I've ever quit a ride or given up. I'm down for just about any ride on any bike--big, small, gnar, easy...it's all good. Alvin knows my shit breaks, (crashed hard enough to break my frame after I passed him broken down at the 2019 D100--but still finished) but I ride a lot and I work on it a lot. More importantly, my kids learn a lot, so I guess it's all good.

Sure was great to see you again at LAB2V @Whodatschrome! We should synch up bike plans some time. You were on a 525 last time I had the 950. This time you were on the 950 and I had the 450xcw. Well, next time I'll likely be on an RFS bike of some sort, but I'll be riding with my two oldest kids. Speaking of shit-magnetry, that should be a riot!
  11. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you 950 folks see where BITD now has a class for twins? SWEEET!
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  12. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spoken like a true Adv bike super hero!^^^
    Boatman and alvincullumyork like this.
  13. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap

Here here!
  14. havoc1

Oddometer:
    Haha, you clowns!

Hey, build party at my place soon.

Attached Files:

15. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Danger Will Robinson! DANGER!!!

:D :lol3 :hide
  16. madafakinges

madafakinges SUPERENDURO

Oddometer:
    Do you have longer suspension travel?
  17. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Haven't measured this one but it feels tall. It still may be the stock 255 mm though. This suspension is coming off this bike and being swapped with the 277mm ohlins on my Adventure, which will definitely be tall.
  18. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the piston reliefs.
    I had one that had been marked incorrectly and therefore installed backwards from new.
    Valves hit the reliefs then bent.
    Got a new piston at least out of KTM.
    KTM Austria has the original piston now.
    havoc1 likes this.
  19. havoc1

Oddometer:
    This one is the dreaded xc4 oil migration problem...which I was ignorant of until about a week after Katoom Kaboom. Went from full crankcase over 600cc at 8am to 120cc by 11am and seized the exhaust rocker shaft.
  20. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Havoc, I had an 08 450 XCRW with the same issue, in-spite of new crank bearings and seals. An old KTM mechanic the best fix is to have the bottom end milled out so the oil balances out in one big chamber. Been too many years ago to remember the details.