I could not resist... 950 Super Enduro's Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Jolly705, Jul 24, 2006.

1. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same reason why Jimmy Lewis didn't just slap some new Karoos of an old GS before he headed down south.

Not really. At least not by desert standards. You can out ride the stock beam around 50 mph... everything after that's just a crap shoot.
  2. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    powercell-quite the evil desert racer sled--how are you dealing with the carb vent, long hose down to the bottom, junk the canister?
  4. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    If you're ever going to be in Los Al, send me a PM and I'll see if I'm going to be around... (bring beer)
  6. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    You don't like the Karoos?:wink:

What tires are you going to run in the Baja? Think you will beat Jimmy Lewis on his HP-2 ?

later, barry
  7. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    Love the "real" Karoos...

No plans to race the 1000 on the 950 - somebody started that rumor. It's a pre-run bike.

And no, I could not beat Jimmy... even if he road '92 XR200 with a serious rod knock. I've had the pleasure of working with Jimmy, Dave Donatoni, Jonah Street and even that Tim Morton guy these last few years down in Mexico with the HP2 project... great guys, great riders, great bike...
  8. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I'd think that should be near perfect as a pre-runner
  9. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    What are you doing for blinkers? I've been looking at all the intergrated L.E.D. boards for conversion w/the stock rear light.
  10. PowerCell

Oddometer:

:jack :jack :jack :jack :jack :jack :jack :jack :jack

I won't be running blinkers... don't really know anyone who does to be honest. It's going to be used for 99% dirt riding... the plate was just a bonus!
  11. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Iv'e been in that 1% situation before, why the l.e.d. tail light then?
  12. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    When you ride or race at night in the desert, a tail lamp is a must. SCORE requires it, only fools ride without one. I fell into this later catagory a few years back when some chump was riding inside my silt at night. He was 3 feet off my ass at around 75 mph when I chopped the throttle and dabbed the brakes for a RH sweeper... we both ended up in the pucker bushes.
  13. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jonah Street apparently surprised even KTM with his performance and with a 525 that could actually finishing the PD. Did he: 1) have an oil cooler and if so which one, 2) did he install either the stroker crank or larger piston/cylinder or 3) do something else for the (a) power to do well in the stages he did so in and do something for (b) reliability apart from blueprinting the engine?
    Stu
  14. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Wheel spinner

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to spend some time discussing the 525 rally bike with Charlie Rauseo (Jonah's team manager) at the Elko rally. The 525 rally bike has one liter additional oil capacity (three separate additional remote reservoirs plus the additional oil lines), and the radiators are about 50% larger capacity. I could not get Charlie to share specifics about the engine internals other than they want the bike to be able to run faster for the upcoming '07 Dakar. Obviously the team doesn't want to share too many competitive secrets... I really got the sense that the 525 that Jonah raced in '06 was pretty much a stock motor/tranny with more oil and cooling. Pretty impressive when you consider the weight of the bike in rally prep and with a full load of fuel.

Another thing I found interesting in talking to a few of the Dakar racers is they seem to think that the race organizers might be trying to make the race more competitive for the smaller bikes. If you think about it, this would allow more competition from some of the other manufacturers who don't want to develop a race program around a platform that has such a small market outside of the rally world. Shorter stages and lower peak speeds are a couple obvious recent changes that support this theory (plus safety of course). KTM has pretty much dominated recently and I'm sure the race organizers wouldn't mind seeing more competition...
  15. celtic kiwi

celtic kiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How tall are you Mistress G??????
  16. taco

taco Guest

hell yeah[​IMG]:ear
  17. Austinite

Austinite Did you see that?

Oddometer:
    Bump to this thread.... I'm eager to see the Powercell's finished project with some details. :)
  18. HomeMadeJoe

HomeMadeJoe always wondering (mind)

Oddometer:
    Pretty much what he said...We..Us...have worked hard for what we have....I personally have peaked (for now) with a '05 950 AVD. It is what I feel is the ultimate bike for me....it is ...an adventure touring machine.
    HEY Almondog...GFYS...it'll probably take less time than typing in this forum!
    You sound like a liberal. And don't correct me on my spelling...people with brains know what I'm saying. Joe.

19. PowerCell

Oddometer:
  20. Manny Fagnet

Manny Fagnet Been here awhile

Oddometer: