1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I don't want to be a troll living under the bridge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by 1994klr250, Mar 22, 2020 at 5:15 PM.

1. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant colors to be had on this ride. It's such a treat to see these parts of the country without ever leaving the house. Being there would be a whole lot better, as it's funny how smells can bring you back to a memory of simpler times. Whats the fuel situation out where your riding ?, For future reference.
    1994klr250 likes this.
  2. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoying the report. I've never had an issue with finding fuel in the UP. The klr 250 only has a 2.9 gallon tank and when loaded down with all my gear on these long rides I usually only get around 50 MPG, so I'm good for 150 miles. Some of the more remote stretches of forest in the UP you'll need fuel for about 100 miles. Even on some of the paved roads the distances between towns with fuel is around 50 miles so I usually fill up anytime I get below half tank.
    JB2 and B10Dave like this.
  3. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report! I enjoy the UP and look forward to having time in my retirement to enjoy the colors of fall all across this great country.
    1994klr250 likes this.
  4. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great fall pix and the mighty mac . i too love riding that
    john northern ontario
    1994klr250 likes this.
  5. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made my way south out of the Keweenaw Peninsula and just wandered a bit down some random dirt roads, I could honestly ride on roads like this all day, take away the pavement and put dirt under my tires and I'd be happy :D.

IMG_7339.jpg

I wasn't sure where this road would lead but after a few miles it ended at the beautiful inland lake. I marked it for future reference as I would really like to camp along the shore of it.

IMG_7343.jpg

I can't believe how clean and clear the waters are up here, even Superior is crystal clear. It doesn't hurt that the lake makes a good photo opportunity for the klr :clap

IMG_7341.jpg

With only one road in to the lake I head back out and plan on my next stop for the day.

IMG_7337.jpg

I stop one more time to admire the fall colors, I can never get enough of this season and it doesn't last very long.

IMG_7345.jpg
    tjzondrz, Muscongus, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  6. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After arriving at my next stop I get off the bike and take a short walk up this walk way knowing what awaits me since I've been here before, but it's always worth seeing!

IMG_7347.jpg

Lake of the Clouds, looks like I timed the colors just about peak this time around.

IMG_7350.jpg

IMG_7377.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7372.jpg

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_7380-PANO.jpg
    tjzondrz, Muscongus, GAS GUY and 4 others like this.
  7. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the days are shorter in October daylight ends early so I started thinking about where I might want to camp for the night. I stayed at a campground in Wakefield right on Sunday lake when I went to Alaska which I really liked so I made my way down there for the night. There was barely anyone there since it was so late in the season. I set up camp just a few spots away from where I camped in 2012. Felt like old times, just on a different bike.

IMG_7393.jpg

I ate some dinner in town at the local cafe just on the other side of the lake and got back in time to watch the sunset before calling it a early night.

IMG_7394.jpg

I had a wonderful day of bright blue sunny skies filled with the colors of Autumn, couldn't of asked for a better day on the bike.

IMG_7395.jpg
    tjzondrz, Muscongus, GAS GUY and 3 others like this.
  8. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    You can pay the toll..... but, you're still a troll!

:lol3
    1994klr250 likes this.
  9. Sned

Sned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report. The UP the best, especially in the fall. Did you ride South boundary Road to Wakefield? Awesome road even if it is paved
    1994klr250 likes this.
  10. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Great RR @1994klr250 ! To tell you the truth I had thought about digging out some archive rides that have never been posted here on ADV. We've been adventuring in U.P. for many years now. It is an awesome place.
    1994klr250 likes this.
  11. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep that's the road I took to get to Wakefield. It's a fun road, but I really like H58 between Munising and Grand Marais. More still to come!

Yeah, I just never got around to writing a report about this trip. I took many pictures and it's probably been the best fall color ride I've done, so with the current situation in our world I decided to share with everyone. It's tough riding a little bike on a long trip, but in the end it's totally worth it.
  12. kalum33

kalum33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Beautiful, woooooow
    1994klr250 likes this.
  13. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Thanks for posting this. Give me leave to dream of future without the issues of the day, a small bike, a few dirt roads and like-minded souls to go exploring.
    1994klr250 and JB2 like this.
  14. ab8mi

ab8mi BMW 850 GS

Oddometer:
    I love the UP and some ways I miss living in MI, except here in Texas where we are at at least I can ride pretty much year round.
    1994klr250 likes this.
  15. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Up early the next morning I make my way west on Route 2. Looks like I made a wrong turn, I'm not in the mitten state anymore!

IMG_7396.jpg

The low angle of the early morning sun catches this shadowy figure chasing me and no matter how fast I ride I can't get away. It's good company to have on a long solo ride though.

IMG_7400.jpg

I get off the pavement again and find more two track trails. I never get tired of this.

IMG_7405.jpg

After crossing back into Michigan I find some of the most scenic roads of the trip.

IMG_7407.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

Further I go into the forest more apparent to me that it's been a little while since anyone else has been back here.

IMG_7410.jpg

IMG_7411.jpg

The colors seemed to just pop and with the undisturbed leaves on the dirt road I could hear the crunching of the leaves below my tires. The picture below is probably one of my favorite from the entire ride. I was in the most western section of the UP of Michigan almost 600 miles from home and the klr carried me all the way there.

IMG_7412_zps4onoubm2.jpg
    pratered, Ladybug, JB2 and 2 others like this.
  16. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    Simply awesome. Great report.
    Ladybug likes this.
  17. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Spent high school days living in Cadillac on the edge of the Manistee Nat'l Forest. Very sandy two-tracks. The roads you are covering seems much less sandy-does that fit your experience?​