I Escape to Mexico After Doing Three Sisters

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Pedro Navaja, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Believe me, they were some hot looking sisters! Long, curvaceous, and treacherous. Nothing better than riding ladies like these and doing them all at once. They were upset after I left them, begging for more, even though one of them I did twice. In fact the second time round with her she almost killed me :eek1

I fled to the border...
  2. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Hey Pedro Navaja, you could have done us. We wouldn't have gotten upset with you for leaving"
  3. schismatic

schismatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday, 15 Feb 2009

Here I am the morning of the ride. The first leg of this ride would be from Houston to San Antonio. It was raining that morning. Note in the second picture I have my rain covers on my saddle bags and on my roll bag.

The bike is kitted up with my standard load.
  5. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first leg of this ride was about 250 miles from my house in Clear Lake (SE Houston) to the Hyatt Hill Country Resort which is in west San Antonio. I will be there to attend a workshop related to oil & gas and relevant to my consulting business.

I do not like to ride on Interstates unless necessary. For this ride I will use a combination of US90, US90A and some county roads. This allows me to take in more scenery as I ride to San Antonio. Pastures, livestock, etc. Note how the rain has cleared up. I am sure if I had not put the rain covers on my luggage that it would have been pouring.

And here are my SPOT tracks:

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting around San Antonio I will usually take the Anderson loop (1604) to the south. This is a a good way to avoid traffic during the week. However, on Sundays the traffic is generally low, so one can use a combination of Houston and Commerce streets to cut directly through San Antonio. I wanted to stop at the Alamo, so I cut through town.
  8. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the Alamo visit I proceed on over to my hotel for the workshop. The workshop was slightly interesting. I have to do so many hours of seminars/workshops per year to maintain my licenses, so this one met those requirements.

I did meet an interesting lady, originally from Germany, but now living in Houston. She is a graduate of Keith Code's school (Level 4). She rides a Ducati, in fact between her and her husband (who also raced cars), they have 5 bikes, four of which are Dukes.

Not to bore you with details of the workshop, it ends Tue 17 Feb at close of business. The next morning I am off to do The Three Sisters and then on to the border and Saltillo, MEX.

Shall I continue?
  9. oktulsa17

oktulsa17 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, continue. Tell me your impressions of Satillo. I was there last fall and I was quite impressed with the town. I wish I would have had more time, bit I was only there one night, but it seemed like a place I'd like to spend some more time in.
  10. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. fatdr

fatdr dirty dirty boy

Oddometer:
    :lurk Keep 'er going.... Pix of sisters please, I did Three Sisters in Oregon once :D
  12. Paramedicrogers

Paramedicrogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you like SPOT?
  13. NateDog

NateDog n00b

Oddometer:
    The Three Sisters is a lot of fun.

Pics please!

:lurk
  14. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it. It does what it advertises to do. Largely it is for piece of mind for my wife.
  15. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bob,

I followed your SPOT tracks down to Mexico and back. Looks like you are back home now and had a great ride. Where is your trip report? :evil
  16. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics are coming. However, the sisters are camera shy. Not a lot of safe places to pull over and take a shot. I will be posting detailed routes, and my suggestions for doing the full ride.
  17. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wednesday 18 February 2009

The morning is hazy. It has been raining the past two days in San Antonio.

Well, if you recall from my Cuatrocienegas report, I named my bike Lady in Red, after my wife. She had called me while I was at the workshop and indicated that she had chills and a fever one night (she is on another business trip to Florida with her mother in tow). When she woke in the morning it was gone. She said I must have transmitted my Malaria to her. This is an old joke between us. I had contracted Malaria in my youth decades ago when in Nicaragua, and was subject to recurring bouts. However, I started a Malarone treatment when I started traveling to Africa, and have had no recurrence since. I told her Malaria was not contagious and that she probably just caught some type of 24-hour bug. I stored this information in the back of my mind.

I checked out from the hotel early that morning. Dawn is about to arrive when I check out. At the check-out counter was another Lady in Red. Blond, and wearing a red pants suit. For a minute I thought it was my wife. Pretty good-looking lady too! [​IMG] We greet each other and she walks with me out to the bike. "Have a nice day!", I say to her. She smiles and says "you too!" I sit on the bike waiting for daybreak and roll out. I notice that if I turn the handlebars hard right that the lights go out. Hmmm.

From the Hyatt Hill Country Resort it is an easy ride to Bandera. I took a street route from there to Bandera Road. Bandera Road winds and climbs it's way gently out of San Antonio and takes you to Bandera of all places [​IMG]

The morning is hazy. It has been raining the past two days in San Antonio. On the route, I see a cross on a hill top off to my right. The skies are lifting and the forecast says it will be clear. Seems like I am at the dew point that morning, slight mist also.

As I ride towards Bandera I see a cross off to my right. This was the first of two that I spied during the ride.
  18. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bandera styles itself as the "Cowboy Capital of the World". It indeed may be. Plenty of Western looking themes there. I will have to do a weekend there with my wife, like we did recently in Fredericksburg. We will cage it.

I am tempted to loiter in Bandera, but I need to get to Del Rio by nightfall, so I bypass the opportunity. I gas up and move along heading towards Medina.

Nice to see that veterans are respected.<!-- / message -->

<!-- sig -->
  19. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stronlgy recommend that any ride of The Three Sisters start in Bandera. This gives you sufficient warm-up time to tune your mind on what lies ahead. When you get to Bandera you will turn right and this will take you up to Medina. When you get to Medina turn left on 337 and greet the first sister. I have been told that many skip this part of 337. However, it is my opinion that the stretch from Medina to Leaky on 337 is the most technically challenging of all the sisters. You will see accident crosses on this ride. I will post detail routing and the end of this leg which is at Del Rio. At Medina, your last stop for gas before the ride starts is at The Old Timer. I actually met an old timer here on a Honda 750 Shadow. His remarks to me before he took off was "I put some straight pipes on this bike, I am 72-years old and I want some noise!" [​IMG] This old timer was lean and mean, I hope I am like that when I get to his age.

The parking lot was empty when I took this pic. By the time I crossed the street to leave, the parking lot was full. I could tell the patrons were a bit irritated that I was taking up space like this. They must see a lot of motorcyclists.

And so it starts with 337.

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________