I&G plans for the Trans America Trail by CCM GP450 & Honda CRF250L

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Drumbrakes, Jan 4, 2016.

1. pinball1008

pinball1008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another step closer. Can't wait for the RR to start.
  2. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The next step is the big step of dropping off the bikes with the shipping company. After that we fly out, pick them up again and then it hits the fan.

It goes from sitting at home to riding the trail in one short step. I confess I envy the people who set out by bike from their home and see the world change from the familiar everyday world to their adventure trip in a gradual transition.

One thing I've not yet found is a beach in Charleston, SC where we can take our bikes to the water's edge to dip a tyre in the Atlantic. We thought that would be a nice step to make it a true coast to coast trip.
    If there's anybody local reading this, suggestions would be appreciated.

Ta,
    Iain
  3. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Easy -

Actual Atlantic property owners are very possessive and the shore is built up. Go for a hundred yards away and it's easy on the backsides and inlets, which are still salt Atlantic water.

Pull up Google maps of the Charleston area, type in "boat ramp," and you'll get more than a dozen places. Folly Beach Public Boat Landing is the one closest to the actual ocean.
    Drumbrakes likes this.
  4. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Iain, if you plan to drill the holes in your CCM screen and it's made of acrylic (Plexiglas) rather than polycarbonate (Lexan), note that you need to grind the leading edge of the drill bit flat so that it scrapes material off and not dig in to the acrylic. Using a "standard" metal cutting drill bit will most likely crack the acrylic! Also, go a millimeter or so larger on the hole than the screw dia. The plastic will need to expand and contract more with temperature change. I too have been considering using the adjustable part of the Air Flow by mounting the hardware on my 990 screen but mine is too narrow. I currently am using a MadStad bracket set with a custom screen (cut from a Vstrom screen). It has less vertical movement than the Givi bit it can be adjusted to an angle. The ability to adjust the vertical position is critical as you probably know. You can't maneuver your bike on tight two track looking through a screen!
  5. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey dont worry, its back to $1.50 today so your better off again...grab those dollars now
  6. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Is that a rate for you to buy £?
    I've not seen anything better than $1.32 for me to buy $, though it's still changing by the hour.
    I'm hoping it will stabilise and recover a bit in a few a weeks, and I'll buy my cash then.
  7. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    For brittle plastics I tend to use a masonry or tile drill bit (obviously in non-hammer mode). You get the same scraping rather than cutting/chipping effect.
    For soft plastics I use wood bits as they self-pilot, giving a more accurate neater and rounder hole.
  8. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Good! You're on it! So you are departing from Charleston. What is your target departure date and when do you expect to depart Tellico Plains? You will enjoy Deals Gap. Just be sure and keep your speed pretty close to that posted. I've been over that rt three times and lots of cops! NC cops, TN cops and county cops, all trying to get that revenue!
  9. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    We're not going through Deal's Gap. We're starting Sam's TAT route in Andrews NC past Lake Santeetlah to Tellico Plains.

I've seen videos of Deal's Gap / tail if the dragon and I find it quite frightening. Not the road itself, but the other road users. Bikers and car drivers who can't stay on their own side of the road or respect safe distances to those who are traveling within the speed limits.
    There are other windy roads in the country with less traffic and less attention from cops. I'm sure it would be a fun ride even sticking within the speed limits, but not a nice way to treat a fresh set of knobbly tyres.
  10. Tommyturtle

Tommyturtle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you staying at Farmhouse Inn at TP? Good luck with your trip!
  11. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dragon is pretty safe on weekdays and their are slower times of the day. You shouldn't pass on the opportunity to ride it.

12. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Although there continue to be some crazy people (sport bike and crusier riders mostly) fortunately, in my 3 trips I've not seen or heard of any issues. Rember, it's only 11 miles There are lots of
  13. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    I recommend you do it. Less than 50 miles from Andrews to the most iconic road in the Eastern US! You could be in Tellico Plains in half a day even including a stop for lunch or refreshments at Deal's Gap and a nice forest road! http://tailofthedragon.com/tail-of-the-dragon-info/details/
    upload_2016-6-27_13-41-56.png
  14. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with the previous several, in suggesting that you do ride the Dragon. Between traffic and the ever present police, it's anti-climatic but something to do so you can say that you did. Since you are coming from the south, just ride the 11 miles to the far end and turn around to come back then get your stickers and a drink at the store.

The other reason for doing it this way is that it will bring you back to do the Cherahola Skyway or however else you want to get to Tellico Plains, which is a good place. Being summer, do visit the little waterfall and jump in.
  15. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like you say the markets up and down big time, yes it will stabilise and recover over next couple of weeks, press saying today its started climbing back
  16. wianbiggar

wianbiggar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Iain
    Are you taking any books or reading material?
    Ian
  17. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    A few eBooks that can be read on the tablet or phone, including some novels and a rough guide to the USA.(We also like audio books, and have quite a collection, again all electronic)
    In paper form I'm taking a First aid pocket book and The Little Book of Calm (As eaten by Bill Bailey's character in Black Books)
  18. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    I haven't looked at anything in Tennessee since last year. I can't remember if that's on my list of accommodation for TP or not.
    I've given it a quick Google, and it looks nice, but not familiar.
    I'll take that as a recommendation, Tommy?
  19. Tommyturtle

Tommyturtle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lovely place, impeccably clean boutique B&B.. Owner is a keen tail rider and has nice garage. Will happily show you the local 'green lanes' if he's there. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Tapped out with two fat fingers on Tapatalk
    Drumbrakes likes this.
  20. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    I carefully hunted out some top quality punture repair kits with a few tubes of glue, as they never last.
    I've just been advised I can't take puncture repair glue with me, it's classed as a hazerdous substance. Just have buy more when we get there...

The anti-gravity battery isn't allowed in the crate either, but at least that can come with me on the plane.

I'd already decided it was best not to put a bag of talc in my puncture repair kit, although that would actualy be safe and legal. (Though probably not safe for the bike which would get stripped looking for more suspicous items, or for me if customs thought i was winding them up)