I&G plans for the Trans America Trail by CCM GP450 & Honda CRF250L

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Drumbrakes, Jan 4, 2016.

1. wianbiggar

wianbiggar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will need to check for a better 2 - 3 litre can as the one I have leaks through the top and has a very small spout - can't fill it direct from the pump without a funnel so pretty useless. Def keep away from the exhaust which gets very hot - burnt myself a couple of times just grazing the damn thing.
    Iain, are you doing any fitness stuff over and above your normal (?) riding to prepare for the trip - bit like all those leg strengthening exercises you were supposed to do before (if) you went skiing - after my little 15 mile bimble last weekend I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for!!
    Bike booked in for first service middle of the month - probably have about 850 miles so hopefully not too many miles over!
    Ian
  2. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bladders have the advantage that they only need to be full when doing long sections of the route and the simple 5 litre £5.00 plastic fuel can can be strapped on top of your luggage and if not over full should be leakproof (remember changes in altitude over the route).
  3. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This time last year I was working on my arms and core in the gym, thinking those were my weak areas for the trip. Legs are pretty good as I do a fair bit of cycling and walking. When on the rowing machine I use my finger tips to hold the handle and draw them in, which helps build clutch and brake endurance.
    After my first full day of off-road motorcycle riding, last year, I found I had back and shoulder pain, this was partially down to just being new, but also I was finding my arms overly taught / straight on the bars and I was straining to keep my body in a good position. That has been completely sorted by the bar risers. I am now pushing lightly on the bars with my arms slightly bent as I stand, rather than pulling.
    it doesn't make sense at first, that lifting the bar changes me from pulling to pushing, but with the bars too low, my feet were still trying to push my body back to the correct position and I had to pull at the bars to reach them, so the two contact points were actually fighting against each other, with my back in between. With the bar lifted, my body is in the best position with reference to my feet, and the bar is easily within my reach, so I don't have to stretch for it.

I've not done any gym type fitness training for this trip in the last 6 months as I've concentrated on the paper and computer prep. I have been out on my bike more, with a few long endurance days (admittedly on the V-strom) and walking to work (8 mile round trip) once a week, just to keep things ticking over, rather than to actually improve my fitness.

The CCM has a low fuel light, but the tank just isn't suited to a float gauge or even a stick - it's a long sloping shape. The top / filler is behind the back of the seat, the fuel pump/bottom is just in front of the rear shock. there's no way to position a float that could move through that range. a correctly bent dip-stick might work, just don't jab it into the pump filters!

They could use a set of 2 or 3 discrete level sensors (most gauges theses days are just a set of blocks after all, not a needle) at various points along the main tank, or on one of the side tanks (preferably the left one as it comes off less frequently)

The Acerbis tank natural uncoloured plastic needs light coming through from the other side to see the level. If you had a thin strip of that material, you would struggle to see anything. Perhaps if the full underside of the tank was translucent? and the top remained black? or is it time to revisit white plastics?
  4. wianbiggar

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, Iain - am doing much the same but need to do more riding as that little bit of off road work on the weekend showed up some weaknesses!! Think I'll add the bicycle to the regime which won't be any pain as I enjoy it - once my backside gets over the initial pain
  5. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    4 weeks till we drop the bikes off with James Cargo.
    It's all starting to get quite close!
  6. wianbiggar

Oddometer:
    Not half as excited as we are - will be following closely.
    Ian
  7. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lewis & Clarke didn't have this much prep.
    :D
    [j/k]
  8. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Lewis and Clark had the US Mint prepare silver medals with a portrait of Thomas Jefferson, to hand out to all the people they met as a token of friendship.
    Charlie McGregor carried miniature bottles of whisky as gifts.
    As we don't have the same level of corporate support or luggage capacity, we'll probably have to make do with a packet of Jelly Babies.
    (1 each, no pushing in the queue please!)
  9. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of my travel is on 2 hour notice and all I can take is a single go-bag with a backpack. My time to explore comes by taking days of leave after an accident investigation finishes. It's amazing how much you can do with very little, and very little prep time. I've borrowed, rented, and ridden motorcycles in 16 countries and seen many more.

That said, my other half is a total planner like you and is very uncomfortable traveling ad hoc. Each approach works and it's fun to have followed you along.
  10. Pepperbox

Pepperbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not having seen the route maps I'm not sure where the route passes into Moab. Whichever way the route goes, make sure you make a side trip to Arches National Park. ( http://utah.com/arches-national-park ) You can ride round, park up in laybys, walk up to a scenic view then move on to the next. The scenery is well worth half or a whole day and it's just up the road from Moab.
    Drumbrakes likes this.
  11. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wreckchecker, my previous job had taken me various places in the country (and out) and I too found a few opportunities with a little extra time. A few years back I flew into Billings and drove to the NE corner of Montana, passing a sign that said "Custer 15mi." WHAT? I thought he met his demise in the black hills of S Dakota? Well, on the way back, I changed to a 2hr later flight and got 45min at the Battle of the Little Bighorn Park! INCREDIBLE! It was as if the battle happened only a month ago. Same grass, same hills, markers where troops (and some indians) fell. I was used to the parks in the East where manicured lawns had neat little stacks of cannonballs and large stone monuments, nothing that looked like a battle was ever held there. I still have a tentative plan to do the L&C trail with a detour to Rushmore and BOTLBH w/the wife (after the TAT).:-)
    Drumbrakes likes this.
  12. wianbiggar

Oddometer:
    There's going to be too much out there to see it all - the whole area ( western US) is full of fantastic landscapes and interesting, friendly people. Best advice is NOT to try and see it all but to do what you can, enjoy where you are and be "in the moment" so to speak ( or to speak in the language of some of the locals!). Especially enjoy the coffee, muffins and the apple pie (but skip the cheddar cheese on top of the pie!). Been there - done that - lived to tell the tale!
    Ian
    Drumbrakes likes this.
  13. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a Don't Miss! Thanks for the tip.
  14. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Nexx XD1?
    It's turning out to be a great helmet, but I was getting a lot of head buffeting each time I wore it for fast tarmac use on the CCM. I thought about the peak, but there didn't seem to be an angle that reduced the buffeting and it felt about the same as riding into a strong wind.
    Just to be sure, I've now removed the peak, and the head buffeting has disappeared!
    I think as a tallish rider on a GP459 with the high seat, the standard (non - adjustable) screen was directing the air flow directly up at the peak.

With the peak off, you really should have alternative side panels to hold the visor in place, or it will pop off easily, especially when fully raised and the detents don't work properly so it will move from open just a touch to fully open if the wind catches it. (no probs at all with the either the peak or the alternative side panels fitted)
    So I'll get the helmet shipped with the peak in my bag and the alt side panels fitted. I can fit the peak for the more grueling off-road days when we're riding into the sun but I need a clear view of terrain in front of me, and leave it off for the road sections.

The one other thing I have noted is that the chin of this helmet sticks down more, and the rubber edging catches on the shoulders if my jacket (with the body armour underneath) when doing shoulder checks & life savers.
    I need to re-learn to tilt my head up a bit as I rotate it and then it won't be a problem.
  15. pinball1008

pinball1008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a screen deflector like minkyhead uses would help? I'm trying to find something at the moment as I have a buffeting issue with my Caberg Tourmax.
  16. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    At this point, I'm going to just take the peak off for highway trips.
    I do have a Givi Air-Flow adjustable screen waiting to be fitted, but decided to leave this till I get back.

I tired the tourmax helmet, however when I was wearing it, I could not see the tip of the peak, and it didn't seem to adjust any further forward.
  17. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Also, while in Moab…… Make sure to take a ride through Canyonlands NP via the "White Rim Trail". It's a one day loop that starts/ends in Moab. It is an epic ride. Google it!!!!
  18. pinball1008

pinball1008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree regarding the peak, adjustable like the Nexx would be great. However, it is better than no peak.
    Which of the givi screens was the best match for the CCM?
    I did post on the main CCM thread, but if you want to borrow a tank quick release elbow as a spare for your trip, let me know.
  19. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    The adjustable part of the Givi Air Flow is the same for all bikes. I got it as a spare part, along with a fastening kit. I plan to bolt it to the standard CCM screen. It will need 2 holes drilled, that's it. I'm a bit worried the CCM screen might not be strong enough to take the extra weight long term.

Thanks for the offer of the spare parts, but I'll pick some up from CCM directly.

Cheers,
    Iain
    pinball1008 likes this.
  20. Drumbrakes

Oddometer:
    Well: Bike Shipping is paid for, Our flights out and return journey are paid for, the bikes are paid for.
    Phew.
    Everything else has just gone up in price by about 10%.
    The bike road insurance is still being processed. If only they had charged us yesterday...