I got my very first motorbike to make a world trip as soon as I could

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Raul Pardo, May 24, 2020.

1. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

first post here, so this is kind of an introduction with few details about the trip.

I was sent here from Reddit and they suggested me to introduce myself and make a post in Epic Rides, so here it goes.

I recently went to SEA and rented a scooter, rode a few kms and fell in love with the experience. I went back for 7 weeks and did a solo Hanoi - Ho Chi Minh trip on a semi-automatic bike, I was hooked. So I went again for 10 weeks and buy myself an 300usd Chinese Honda Win and ride from Ho Chi Minh to Luang Prabang, crossing the short south of Vietnam, Cambodia and most of Laos.

When I got back home, thinking about when would I be able to do it again, it was clear to me that another 10 weeks would not be feasible and if they were, not long enough for my love of riding.

A rider has to do what a rider has to do, so I did my motorcycle riding license and get rid of everything -as so many of you have done.

I started in Germany (I am mexican) and made myself to the border with Iran which got closed the very same day I got my visa, so now I am stuck in the east side of Turkey, what a luck I have.

The region of Van is a riders dream, with plenty of high and moderate mountains and lakes of all sizes, I have been going around waiting for the travel restrictions to be lifted.

I have been told that the border with Iran will be open on Tuesday and to be honest, I am in no hurry to cross the border just yet, as Turkey has proved to be a riders paradise with plenty of space to explore, excellent food and with some of the kindest people I have ever met (and I have been backpacking for some 20 years on feet and trains).

I was never a motorcycle enthusiast, I have friends with bikes who go out for short loops every summer. For me, a motorcycle is a way to move long distances with the greatest freedom to go and stop and explore and stay and move along whenever I want to.

Among you, I am probably the rider with the least experience. I have heard of the community or riders but I was never part of it, I've been a solo traveler my whole life and I am looking fwd to connect with you and maybe share some miles on the way... where ever the way in front of us leads.

I have much to learn, I have never change an air filter nor the oil myself, I know nothing about motorbikes (not a lot anyway).

I hope I do not sin of being over enthusiastic, I feel like a little boy who just got his first bike and learn to ride it.

The trip so far, start in Germany, crossed Austria to Italy in the middle of a snow storm (motorbike in a van), took a ferry to Greece and crossed it till Turkey and mayde myself to the Iranian border.

I see that some people post videos, so here is my latest. I am still learning storytelling, so excuse the toe at the beginning, it lasts only a few seconds. :p

Safe rides to all of you. raulpardo.jpg IMG_20191231_153649.jpg IMG_20200310_152536.jpg thumbnail the story.jpg

I will be documenting on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7hwdN6oww8n9qzvarFt6TQ

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/raulpardo1715/

And FB

https://www.facebook.com/followyourspleen/

...for anyone interested. I know we are a crowd, but I also do follow a few riders too.
  2. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    nice ride and welcome
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  3. James59

James59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic, well done! The bike is only a tool, its the journey that's important.
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  4. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed! I totally resonate with that.
  5. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your travels.
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  6. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed that. Good luck as you continue on. Looking forward to the updates!
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  7. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks! I do not need encouragement with the trip, but a little bit with the documentation. I am struggling with story telling. what do people care about? what would they want to see?

Just like everyone, I got amazing video and photo shots, but making up stories with start middle and end is not easy.

have fun and stay safe!
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  8. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you made a good start on your ride report :) I wouldn't be so worried about creating a story for every post. It seems the most successful ride reports on ADVrider are the ones where the author also shares their thoughts and motivations.

Good luck with your adventure, seems like the lockdown situation is working out for you :D
    Raul Pardo and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  9. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:

Im happy you watched the video. It is my first bike, easy -they say. Not sure about the others. I like the Africa Twin but seems like Im too short for it.

I learn to have much more respect for the mountain and dubious roads. You are right about the sidestand, lesson learned too. I was lucky my bike was light -not loaded. I can only imagine the work it would have take to control it and later, to take it up.

thanks for the tip. I am enjoying my trip, my time and I just want to share. I already quit my life, friends and family -so to speak, in this solo travel. Im looking fwd to meet similar minded people.
    Rich Rider and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  10. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    everyone has their own way of telling the story no need to detail your ride report funny incident interesting places etc. route taken with lots of pictures
    Some riders may update once a week others once a month some daily it should not be a chore it should be fun sharing your trip
  11. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    Dude, this looks awesome! I'll definitely be following your reports.
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  12. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!

is it the report here in adv riders or the video on youtube?

I am just starting! 1st motorbike (I will do the 5000km review today, no idea how), 1st world trip, 1st time doing videos and sharing. I will do my best to entertain you, so to speak.
  13. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:

thanks, here is a question... people open ONE thread, then others comment, and the updates are kept on the SAME original threat? or do people do new threats everytime. I see some posts are super old with thousands of comments, so maybe I should keep it all on the same threat?

not sure, I am a newbie on everything, this site, the motorbike, the world trip, the reports, everything... I am a freshman on everything
  14. Huffduff

Huffduff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice start, I think I saw your post on reddit. Now I'm curious to learn more of your story.

That situation in the end of your video? When you bit of more than you can chew? I know how it feels, have been in similar situations plenty of times myself. Keep going, that's when good memories and worthy stories are born!
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  15. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'll follow both.
    As far as your ride report here, most people keep it all in the same thread so it's all easy to find in the same place.
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  16. Navel

Navel Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer:
    Great intro Raul, thx for starting your report and I hope to see more of your posts here. About what to put in your thread or what do other riders like, I guess everyone has its own opinion about that...there are a lot of great reports here, and sure everyone has his personal favorites. If you want some inspiration for your report, let me point out a couple of them that I found truly incredible, alas the second one has had the pictures removed and only the text is now accesible, but the story is amazing:
    Metaljockey and crew (By the way Michnus has his own RR still going) https://advrider.com/f/threads/angola-its-not-like-they-said.269251/
    tourist´s Uralistan: https://advrider.com/f/threads/uralistan-bishkek-to-kabul.923656/

Buen viaje!
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  17. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    +1 on above

Another excellent ride report good laughs
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-south-america-accidentally-on-a-blue-150cc.1161843/

She is also a prolific writer of many articles pretty good read and demystifies a lot of the unknowns
    https://advrider.com/author/egle-g/
    Raul Pardo likes this.
  18. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

The start was rough since it was winter. lots of snow and many many many days waiting in a hotel room for it to pass. From Jan to mid april, very few rides. Now I can ride, but only in circles around my area until travel restrictions are lifted. Is still doesnt feel like a world trip, more like I move to Turkey.

I agree with the memories and the stories, that is what life is, nothing but a story to tell and share.
    td63 likes this.
  19. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tip, will follow it.
  20. Raul Pardo

Raul Pardo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you, will check them out!