1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

I got spark! Once...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by WitchKing, Oct 15, 2012.

1. WitchKing

WitchKing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here's what's up. I've only figured out how to adjust the gap, not the timing. The best I could get with some b12 chemtool was fire about every 5th time. I know timing adjustment is pretty specific to my bike, but does anyone have any pointers?
  2. WitchKing

WitchKing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here's where I stand now. I have spark, I have gas, but no fire. The tube from the carb to the engine is cracked, but it barely leaks at all. When I twist the throttle, it has a more muffled sound when I kick it than when I kick it with no throttle. I know I don't have the carb adjusted right, but it should at least be firing right? I have no smoke coming out the exhaust.:ear
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    barely is the SAME as if it had a big gaping hole.

intake must not leak, or it will never run properly. if it's a rubber boot (i assume it is). (this is a quick TEMPORARY fix) slather it with some seal-all, or silicone, or liquid electrical tape, or whatever you have until you replace it. either way, you will need to replace it. but stopping the leak will help - this is not a permanent fix- it's a get you home/running till you replace the intake boot.

that's correct - you're letting in a bunch more air when you open the throttle..
  4. WitchKing

WitchKing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the leak could cause the bike to not even fire? It kind of makes sense seeing that the vacuum would be weakened.
  5. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    that is correct. when you kick it, it pulls a mix of fuel and air into the crankcase. with an airleak it will pull all air and very little fuel.