i guess nobody likes hunwick hallams here?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Mouse, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    out looking for stats on what perentage of the oz population rides (and can thus far conclude nobody has the foggiest) i found this little article on the hunwick hallam operation.

its a fair read at 29 pages but has some nice detail in it about the market then and the bike range they were bringing to market.

for those who've not been part of the agsm "(good school that it is) they produce these papers as part of their mba course. they set them as prior reading for discussion in classrooms where the facilitator will chuck around a few ideas.

i'd guess given the way this one is written it'd be for marketing classes where the theme would be either how to write the marketing brief or to dissect where hh got it wrong especially to do with venture finance.

if anyone knows the whereabouts of that solitary 1969 registered husky let me know :thumb
  2. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    Saw something about these Hallam's just recently :scratch
    I'll try and chase it up.
    As for the stats on how many ride or own a bike that's near impossible to get a truly accurate figure. I looked at it when doing a short paper in economics as part of my Grad Cert.
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    in the local area at least half would ride at a guess, extrapolate that around the fringes of sydney and i reckon maybe 500k riders in this city alone, across the capital cities perhaps 2m, include rural australia at 70% riders and that makes 30% of the national population at a rough crude guess.

a minority indeed...
  4. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    There has been a Hallam on display at Deus in Sydney for a long time.

There are loads of stories of tax breaks - scams - Gov funding for R+R and race funding, few know the truth.:deal
  5. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    did they get rid of the second one?

re tax breaks etc, that is just business as business does, how it is duly reported is up to the historian.

plenty of tax breaks and govt funding available for r&d to anybody who wants to apply.

i (very basically) conclude that the author puts it rightly, they couldn't define their market nor probably penetrate it.

interesting stat to see the sales dollar value difference between bmw and harley back then and how harley derived significant income from farkles whereas bmw gained zilch - how things have changed.
  6. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    Years ago a mate of mine had his Z1 head rebuilt by the fellow that built the engines (can't remember if it was Hunwick or Hallam) in Moriac. He reckons they had an engine on a test stand and they started it up for him, and just to prove how smooth it was sat his full cup of coffee on top of it. Impressive engineering. Pitty they never came to much.

[​IMG]
  7. upsidedowngreg

upsidedowngreg Gravel Surfer

Oddometer:
    Mouse your estimates of 30% would appear to be optimistic. We are more of a minority than you think. As KatoomDownUnder says it is difficult to get an accurate figure and who knows how many licensed riders actually ride? Who knows how many licensed riders have more than one bike (registered or unregistered)?

Registered motorcycles is easier to work out: In 2007 there were around 500,000 registered motorcycles Australia wide. Of course many more unregistered. Even with more sales since then it would be unlikely for there to be 500,000 motorcycles in Sydney alone just three years later. Also in 2007 there were approximately 14 million passenger and light commercial vehicles registered. This tells that motorcycles account for only about 3.5% of registered vehicles.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/publications/2008/pdf/mono20.pdf

I just found this (after already writing the first bit) In 2009 there were around 150,000 registered motorcycles in NSW. Around 76,000 of those were in Sydney.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstatisticsforms/downloads/statiregis_dl6.html

Sales figures show that bikes run at about 10% of cars. Almost 116,000 for motorcycles last year. Compared to around 22500 in 1995 (1995 data from the tables at the back of the HH article)

http://www.fcai.com.au/news/all/all/235/solid-result-for-motorcycle-sales-in-2009

http://www.fcai.com.au/news/all/all/234/new-vehicle-market-ends-strong-year-with-record-december-

All up it’s a damn shame more of us didn’t buy a Hunwick Hallam or at least get the opportunity to
  8. The Fireman

The Fireman Livin the dream!!!

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember one being kept upstairs at the Suzuki joint on the corner of para rd and church some years back, faint memory?!!?!?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  9. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    I seem to remember Mal Campbell? doing a few display laps around Phillip Island a few years back - sounded nice and hey, the Smoke screen that ensued wasn't that bad, really, just a little 'thick'........ and oily ........ and I dont think it went around again
  10. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From govt sources (on MCC of NSW website)...

"As of June 2009, In NSW we have 300,000 active or latent riders 162,000 registered motorcycles 114,000 unregistered off-road motorcycles 480,000 motorcycle licenses held by residents." It appears we have a hell of a lot of people who have bike licenses but either do not ride at all, or only very occasionally - on someone else's bike.

AFAIK Deus is majority owned by Rod Hunwick, hence the bike in their showroom. I believe he was also majority owner of Action Suzuki in P'matta, hence the bike in their workshop (yes, I have seen that one in the past).

But, I still don't like what Deus does to good bikes in the pursuit of fashion.

BruceC
  11. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bruce you nailed it in one word Fashion
  12. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    The second bike is still around. With Rod Harrop if my memory serves me correctly. I used to work with Andrew Hallam the brains behind the bike. Andrew is a very clever man indeed. He still does a lot in the this industry tuning and building race motors. He can be found working at Peter Stevens workshop in the city during the week.
    I happened to be in the crowd at Cowes when Mal Campbell did a burnout in front of the pub one night it sounded sweet and the crowd loved it.
  13. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Didn`t Andrew Hallam ( the brains ) & what ever his name is Hunwick ( the money ) have a falling out ? I thought it had a different name in the end , like the Hunwick Harrop or something ?
  14. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    the second set of numbers dont add up, first we have 300k riders then they go on to say we have 480k licenses.

i ran my figure of 30% off a mailbox survey. every bloke i've ever met who lives in the bush can ride (whether he chooses to do so or not), most of the women out there ditto, most of the blokes who live around here ride, most of their children do.

the 3% figure lofted about is woftam, for most bikes are not regoed and most bikes are kept forever

the people who ride on the road might be a minority but the people who ride are not imho.
  15. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    That things got a nose on it like Groucho Marx...:brow
  16. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    And a tail like a qantas jet....

How are ya Troy? Snow must be melting and back to real work soon I guess:thumb
    look forward to the upcoming RR's
  17. thealien

thealien Not From Around Here

Oddometer:
    I believe so. I was always very leery about the Hunwicks who always struck me as wide-boys....just a gut feeling, so I like the Hallams but not the Hunwicks!

18. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Actually, I am sitting here doing real work... processing entries for the "Spring Ride", finalising the roadbooks, doing some PR and info' for the Sv4DE in July and looking out the window of this "4 degrees and sunshine" day watching the snow melt... In between swapping dusty recipe's with the other aussie members of "L'Ecole du Cordon Blue"...:D
  19. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say G'day to the Michelin guide camping chefs for me:D good night all:wave
  20. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Now you know why its so bloody difficult to make sense of the hard facts.

300,000 riders - may or may not be licensed. As you point out, unregistered dirt bikes are a huge market. Many of these people do not have licenses.

480,000 licences - may, or may not be current riders, but they have a license. Many people in 70's got a license, rode once and never again, but still have license.

162,000 registered bikes - but, don't know how many bikes per person. We've got no idea how many individual people own registered bikes. Nor do we know how many people own a bike(s) of any sort - registered or not. Nor have we got any idea of how many bikes are shared within, say, a family, farm or business unit.

Trying to get a handle on the size of the active m/cycle community is not easy. It makes it really difficult when lobby groups are trying to put proposals to the govt.

BruceC