I hate Deer.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FPGT72, Jun 19, 2019.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday at ~ 500 in the morning....pretty foggy....in places I could not see 100 feet....news said .3 miles in some places....bs.

Anyway I am being pretty careful....being that I tend to ride very careful in the first place....add to that damp roads, I can't see shit, and cleaning the shield about every 3 minutes.

County 2 lane highway (on the way to work) it is posted 55, bet I am topping out at 45, with some 30's in there....you just can't see.

I come out of a section of S curves....there is a driveway at the top of the hill....gray truck sitting there....I slow down....thinking I want him to see me. I am target focused on the truck...he moves, I start to pull my eyes down and wammo....big doe.

Now first of all I know, I should not have focused on the known threat but keep scanning....it is the enemy you don't see that gets you.

Good news is I tagged her at.....I am guessing 35-40....so not too hard....

Battle damage, 3 broken ribs, 1 wrist, knee and ankle are starting to feel better....today is better then yesterday. Hella headache, now that other stuff is starting to hurt less, different things hurt. 2nd day of a headache, Jaw is sore....guess from the strap of the helmut.

Bike is/was a Versys 650....not sure if it is totalled yet....going to the shop today....I think it rolled a time or two.

Now what did I learn....

First keep scanning....been riding for over 35 years now, been down a few times, but this is my first broken bones.....EVER. I have never broken a bone in my body in my life till I hit 54.

2 Fuck wearing a watch....I wear watches, I like nice watches....I was wearing a cheapo Seiko automatic, and somehow it got ripped off my left arm, took my glove with it, ended up with some pretty good road/watch rash. Think the watch will be in my pocket from now on.

upload_2019-6-19_6-36-55.png

upload_2019-6-19_6-37-25.png

The glove and watch where laying in the road....middle of the road about 60 feet from where I ended up....right next to each other. This is the only rash I got aside from a tiny bit on my shoulder where is rubbed through the jacket....the armor stopped everything else....I was geared up.....only thing not "motorcycle" was hiking boots.

I "think" I blacked out, not sure how long.....called work (I work at a sheriffs office) told them I hit a deer, need help.....then a citizen showed up and waited with me till the EMS showed up. Thought I really bruised my brain as one of my Lt's was there in hose dragger garb.....loaded me up and off to hospital. Level 2 trauma.

Funny thing is I am laying there the first guy is still with me, and a Hardly rider shows up (is it friday?)......no shit shorts and flip flops.....really dude.....off he rumbles.

Neck pretty sore, day 2 of a headache....but I got out of it lucky. Posted up some comments on the BSC thread on one of the nurses asking if my wife was going to "let" me get another bike. Africa Twin and Tiger are the short list.

No pics of the bike they are all on the wifes phone, I have not got them off yet....or pulled the report to see what the office took.

So I am laying there in Hospital and my Sheriff and that same Lt. shows up to see how I am doing....that is so nice....where do you see that. anymore?

Home today....as I am not a deputy I can go back to work when I feel....think I will wait for the headache to calm down....see how the car feels with the ribs....and I still get a little woozy from time to time.

What else did I learn....got pretty bad arthritis in my neck, some "nodule" in my lungs they found...need to talk to the regular Dr. about those things....so if that little lump in my lungs turns out to be something bad this might endup being a good thing.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Glad it wasn't worse, but ouch, that sounds painful Good luck, man, and hope you head up straight and fast. Don't beat yourself up too bad about what you could've done different. Deer are Nature's Suicide Bombers.
  3. ramblin66

ramblin66 HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer:
    Nice Seiko. !

Very glad you're relatively ok. Heal fast!

I'm not at all surprised that your Sheriff and Lt showed up. LEO's are good about stuff like that. Well, all the good one's are.
  4. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They went back out again today and finally found the gopro.

Odd thing is it did the same thing the bike camera did....but a tad more....riding along, then it is laying in the grass recording....no impact.....so odd.
  5. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Glad also it was not worse, but take it easy don't rush back to work and watch that head, concussions the medical world is learning are not something to just "shake off " and ignore, even small ones.
    neanderthal likes this.
  6. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rarely wear a watch when I ride because my jacket cuff pushes on it but I definitely won't now. Glad you are okay.
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wasn't somebody recently opining that "deer are soft" ....? @Hollywood D

Heal up,OP; glad it wasn't worse.
  8. Lzeplin

Lzeplin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate them too! 3 weeks ago
    a deer jumped out right in front of me I was going somewhere around 55mph. I leaned the bike all I could to the left, and for a split second I thought I'd cleared it. Then BOOM it's head hit my pannier! The rear of the bike got out of shape but I didn't go down. Broke the latch on my pannier.
    The poor deer was laying in the road not moving. A guy out in his yard came running over to the deer. After a short while it started kicking, then held it's head up. Blood was pouring out it's nose. He finally got the deer by the neck and tail helped it up and it staggered off the road. My pannier was just slime and hair!
    I was shaken up, but everything was totally fine except the latch on my box. Where I hit the deer isn't that far from my house. I've been through the same straight at 130 mph + on my Ninja. I was just inches away this time from really getting it..
    I have a electronic deer alert on order should get it today or tomorrow. Doubt it will do anything except make me look dumb, but it's worth a try, might scare a deer off! I was riding a 18 Suzuki v strom 1000
  9. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Glad you are basically OK. Call the ribs a reminder about target fixation.

That watch needs to go. Once a Seiko gets a taste of human blood they become man eaters. I've got about 6 watches at home that I don't wear on my bike for the reason you demonstrated, they catch things and can cause injury. Nowadays I mostly use the mobile phone to tell the time.
  10. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Concussion will fuck with you in many small ways. Be kind to yourself as you recover.
  11. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They never used the C-word....but I can't see how I don't have one.

My neck is so sore....Up this late as I just can't sleep.

I will heal up....this may sound odd but it is actually nice having pain and knowing the reason why.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Hey FP, sorry to read this. regarding your scanning comments it is so true. I told my boys, who ride motorcycles; "for every pretty girl in a mini skirt, God sends two concrete trucks". And its true. You put your eyes on something and a hazard will appear from another corner.

I went down last fall, same sort of thing. I imagine those ribs are keeping you up. Mine were awful for a month. The first two weeks was the worst, then I actually got in bed for a couple hours.

In terms of neck pain, I had tramadol which didn't do much except make me constipated, but when my neck was really hurting I rubbed CBD oil on it, also hot showers, and was able to get a bit of cannabis (legal here for pain) which with a half a pill of tram worked like magic. Only needed that 3 or 4 bad nights, but when its bad, its bad.

You will get better fast, rest up and heal. Don't be surprised if the wife gets real nervous when you start riding again. I had to "transmit my location" to her via Telegram App on my phone so she knows I am okay. And don't feel bad if you are nervous too, it will pass.
  13. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your scary crash story and info , that may help other riders with that type of scenario ... and get well soon ... crazy deer strike stories seem to be so violent and more frequent lately ?

You said your glove was 60 feet away from you after the crash ? That means that the gloves did not have a velcro retention strap ? Or a non gauntlet type ? I think after hearing your glove failure ,

I will stop wearing my short non gauntlet , summer gloves that can come off too easily in a slide or get off , and start wearing my road race style gloves that have a strap to keep the glove on better... yikes !

joe_rocket_gpx_gloves_black_red_1800x1800.jpg
  14. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Take a stool softener with each painkiller. Best advice I was given. If you take one Tylenol 3 in the morning and another at night, that's two stool softeners; one in the morning and one at night.
    Charlie Gary likes this.
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is why I wanted to share.....I have been riding a while....know the rules, gear up.....but in that half sec anything can pop out.

I was lucky I was going pretty slow.....it was so foggy....it could have been much worse.

Got the estimate on the Versys over $6k in damage....I have a feeling the bike is gone....insurance is not going to fix it.