I Hate Mexico, I Love Mexico, I Hate Mexico, I Love Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rickcorwn, Mar 2, 2010.

1. rickcorwn

rickcorwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A Dual Sport Virgin Goes to Copper Canyon<o:p></o:p>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    I just returned form Copper Canyon and all I can say is WOW, what an incredible trip. The start wasn't so incredible, I got sick but with the help form some Mexican antibiotics gastro intestinal health was restored. The scenery was fabulous, I'd seen a lot of photos and videos from the region but none of it measures up to the real thing. We found new roads, saw back street cock fighting, crossed rivers without the use of those pussified bridges, converted a KLR to a hard tail (not mine), ate great food, drank not so good Mexican beer and were welcomed by the warm and friendly Mexican people. Oh, and there was one small encounter with high explosives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We start out from Plainview Minnesota on February 12<sup>th</sup> with a couple of feet of snow all around we&#8217;re more than ready to get outta Dodge and head south. Six of us pile into the RV after all the bikes and gear are loaded. John and Charlie are Copper Canyon veterans form Southeast MN, Ian from Ontario has one CC trip under his belt. Chris is from the Milwaukee area, Bob from somewhere near Peoria and myself from the Minneapolis area are all CC virgins. Me I&#8217;m extra virgin, I&#8217;ve never been on even a lightweight dual sport ride. I&#8217;ve had this KLR for a few years and ridden around on a couple of gravel roads but never ventured far from the pavement. By the time I committed to the trip the ridding season here in Minnesota had come to an end so no time for practice. So I picked up a couple of books and a couple of DVDs and tried to learn by not doing. What could possibly go wrong?

<!--EndFragment--> <link rel="File-List" href="file:///Users/rickcorwine/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Clipboard/msoclip1/01/clip_clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Times;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--StartFragment-->It&#8217;s just shy of 1500 miles form here to the Presidio TX and the RV with the 20 foot enclosed trailer will have the cruise set at a mind numbing 60 mph. That means that 60 mph will be the top speed, uphill will be slower, we are definitely the tortoise of the tortoise and the hare. Things go pretty well we watch the Blues Brothers and are able to stretch the gas stops to maximize our time on the road that is until 0500 Saturday morning. With John the owner of the RV is at the wheel he decides to go just one more exit before getting gas. Well is it really running out of gas of you can touch the RV and the gas pump at the same time? Unfortunately the gas filler is at the other end of the RV. John says that the RV rolls really easy so we should get out and push. Sheeyeah right, rolls easy for a thirty something foot RV with a 3500 lbs trailer with 6 bikes in it, we move it all of 6 inches. Ian has a gallon and a half gas can so we make several trips back and forth to get just enough gas in the tank to start and move the behemoth.
    <!--EndFragment-->
    We were this close.

[​IMG]

The rest of the trip is uneventful and we arrive at the Three Palms by early afternoon. We spend our time doing last minute bike prep and re packing and throwing out what ever we don&#8217;t think we&#8217;ll need. After dinner and a few Lone Stars we&#8217;re ready to hit the border in the morning.<!--EndFragment-->

We unload at the Three Palms, shiny bikes.
    [​IMG]

Chris finds a comfy spot in the hills behind the Three Palms. Photo by Chris.
    [​IMG]

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///Users/rickcorwine/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Clipboard/msoclip1/01/clip_clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Times;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--StartFragment-->The border crossing and related paperwork went smoothly, except John forgot his driver&#8217;s license. A long as you paid your money that didn&#8217;t seem to make much difference if you were licensed to drive. <!--EndFragment-->

We hire a guard cat to watch over our bikes at the border while we do our paperwork. Photo by Carlos.
    [​IMG]

We head for Chihuahua City via the free road and get as far away from the border as fast as we can with only a stop at the overlook and in Coyame for snacks. This is where I&#8217;m first introduced to Chockis (sp) basically Mexican Chips Ahoy, these would become my staple afternoon snack. Bob complains about a lack of power from his XT but after the air cleaner boot is removed from the carb it seems to run better. <!--EndFragment-->

Shrine at the overlook.
    [​IMG]

Chris at the overlook.
    [​IMG]

Inside the shrine.
    [​IMG]

Bob scoping out some trouble with his XT.
    [​IMG]

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///Users/rickcorwine/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Clipboard/msoclip1/01/clip_clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Times;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--StartFragment--> There&#8217;s another group of Minnesotans coming out of Copper Canyon and we meet just outside of Coyame. We milk them for info and get some of their tall tales about mud and an overnight bivouac. They in turn point and laugh at our clean bikes and gear.

Minnesotans meet in Mexico. Photo by Chris.
    [​IMG]
    <o:p></o:p>
    <!--EndFragment-->

Daggy giving the salute.
    [​IMG]

This coulda been an Aerostich ad.
    [​IMG]

Powerhouse lies to us about their time in the Canyon.
    [​IMG]

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///Users/rickcorwine/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Clipboard/msoclip1/01/clip_clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Times;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--StartFragment-->Just outside of Chihuahua we hook up with Arturo and he guides us the rest of the way to the Maria Delores Motel. <!--EndFragment-->

Photo by Chris.
    [​IMG]

As long as we're in Mexico and there's beer life is good.
    [​IMG]

The courtyard at the Maria Delores.
    [​IMG]

The mousy motel in Bob's air box, well there's yer problem.
    [​IMG]

John and Arturo. Photo by Chris.
    [​IMG]

Chris and John get a shoe shine in Chihuahua City.
    [​IMG]

Cool old Mexican Iron.
    [​IMG]

Next :deal
    <!--EndFragment--> <!--EndFragment-->
  2. kaipara

kaipara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff!!
    Keep it coming.
  3. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    I already know how it turns out, but I'm in.
  4. rockjohn

rockjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This should be good. :lurk looks like an interesting group.
  5. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    I almost forgot, the truck of the day. I was going to make the wreck of the day but some of these rigs were pretty nice like this one. We spotted it in Coyame it's a Toyota Hiace they've been around a long time but never in the US. I'd get one of these before a Sprinter any day. How come they get cooler vans in Mexico the we do :cry

[​IMG]
  6. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    :gerg.....it's dangerous in Mexico!
  7. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you guys cross the border?
  8. obsidian

obsidian Scared of the dark..

Oddometer:
    Count me in :lurk
  9. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    Presidio/Ojinaga just west of Big Bend Nat Park.
  10. molarmkr

molarmkr n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking good so far. Really interested in this as I will be going in Nov.
    with the FJR group.I hope you have more to report. I am sure it takes a lot of time to do a report of this size.

Thanks again, and keep it going.

Joe
  11. cwc

cwc .

Oddometer:
    Here is the route to Chihuahua. The badge symbol is the location of the military checkpoint where they search your bags...if they feel like it.

[​IMG]

The elevation profile makes for an interesting ride on part of the trip. The last part is pretty plain even though you are going up. Sort of like Nevada.

[​IMG]

Travel time was 6 hours including all stops.
  12. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    :clap
  13. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am from Winona, Mn. and would have loved to went along! Great trip. Thanks for sharing.
  14. fugarwe

fugarwe Usual Suspect

Oddometer:
    First, let me defend myself. With all the new bypasses being built on that two laner in Texas, my GPS was not aware of this one. Had I taken the "old" road into town, we surely would have coasted up to a gas pump, fully. So there.

I'm John C, fugarwe on here.

My Dad Charlie is CWC.

Chris is Sideshow.

You've met Rick.

Ian and Bob are not ADV savvy. We are hoping that changes.

Arturo in the photo with me is Tury. He was supposed to be traveling with us this year, but got into a scheduling conflict and went with Kevin's (Powershouse) group the earlier week. That'll teach him!
  15. cwc

cwc .

Oddometer:
  16. dajuice

dajuice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rick is always good for a well photographed trip... keep 'em coming... trying to live vicariously here.:lurk
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  17. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    :super Keep it coming.
  18. ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp Turkey Buzzard

Oddometer:
    i'm tracking ya'!:D
  19. candohome

candohome Notta Poser

Oddometer:
    :lurk Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in!
  20. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the whole report, my girl and I will be heading that way Memorial day