I Hate Mexico, I Love Mexico, I Hate Mexico, I Love Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rickcorwn, Mar 2, 2010.

1. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm another one going in Nov with that notorious FJR group. :ricky
    Looking forward to reading some more. :lurk
  2. forrest_fire1

forrest_fire1 I came, went & discovered

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pulling out that camera and bringing us along!:ear :ear
  3. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    interesting...........
  4. Daggy

Daggy Wondering ...

Oddometer:
    Sweet start to the ride, and there better be food pics dammit!

:lurk
  5. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
    So Daggy, were you able to recover your pics?

Paul
  6. Daggy

Daggy Wondering ...

Oddometer:
    Only some as of yet. Unfortunately, none of the mud-filled fun day & night. I'm hoping I can find an FBI IT guy to recover them for me.
  7. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you want to see the food on the plate or after Rick processed it out on the road?
  8. Daggy

Daggy Wondering ...

Oddometer:
    I got a feeling we'll be getting both views. :huh
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not unless Rick has shots of the second category. We are MUCH to polite to take pictures of such things.
  10. rickcorwn

rickcorwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truck of the Day. Photo by Roberto.
    [​IMG]

I was hoping sideshow and fugarwe would have some more to say but they've got those pesky jobs to deal with :lol3 For now you'll just have to live with another truck.

Food pics?? That's your job Daggy :deal Fortunately there won't be any reprocessed food pics.
  11. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    You summed it up pretty well, Rick, so I don't have much to add. Chokies are the cookies. Some come with stickers, as John showed me. Our bikes would attain these little stickers almost on a daily basis, a reward for each tube of Chokies consumed. The roads as soon as you cross the border are a nice extension of the Big Bend landscape we saw the corner of. Low mountains in a wide desert landscape reminded me a lot of
    driving-themed video arcade games from the early 90s that (specifically Sega's "Out Run").

Nice wide sweepers and long, long straightaways. The army checkpoint is fun the first time. 18 year olds with AK's. A bit intimidating if you aren't expecting it. Fortunately I was warned of these things.

Chihuahua city is worth spending some time to check out. Plenty of touristy stuff to do and culture to be witnessed. Fugarwe knew many of the hotspots, which was nice. The markets are extremely different to anything this small-town midwesterner has seen. For some reason I found justification for holgrammed green sparkly boots and blinged out spinner dollar bill belt buckles. I wanted these things purely for their ridiculousness, but knew to save my money for the trip. We'd be stopping back on the way home. If I were still rich in pesos then, I'd consider such purchases, though the boots were better to just take pictures of.

If anyone is reading this that is planning to hang out downtown Chihuahua market, search for the street-vendor nachos with 3 cheeses on top and jalepenos (35 pesos?). They taste like Cheetos in the fourth dimension. As if Cheetos were poorly imitating these nachos. Easily the best money spent on food there.

I have some pics of the local moto-shops we hit up. I'll post some pics up later.
  12. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Muchachas que bailan sin ropa, o cheezypuffs se vende en bolsas mas grande?
  13. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Cheezy puffs se mas grande en Creel. We did see the Wal-Mart of Mexico. Roberto caught a shot of some repackaged batteries somewhere, with tape holding the package back together. I'm sure those AA's were like new.
  14. rickcorwn

rickcorwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After dinner in Chihuahua things begin to get ugly for me, I should have known Chris and I were in Room #13. My stomach starts to do this flip flop thing and before you know it I'm in the bathroom expelling what seems like gallons of previously eaten food. I survive the night but the morning doesn't bring any relief it just transfer the evacuation of bodily fluids to a more rearward orifice.

Not my lucky number.
    [​IMG]

Luckily for me the group was going to stay an extra day in Chihuahua to find some parts for one of the bikes. I'm in bed all day and all I want to do is go back to the RV and die. The thought of going farther into Mexico and into a very rural part no less is quite frankly repulsive, this is the part where I hate Mexico. Charlie brings me some food water and Gatorade eventually I get out of bed and spend some time outdoors in the sun with the others who have been out gallivanting around Chihuahua. John says he'll ride with me to Creel and we can take paved roads all the way there more importantly there are Pemex station along the way for the inevitable stops. In the morning the bulk of the group set off for Creel and John and I head for some breakfast. I'm not feeling good but I'm at least game to keep going. I can barely look a plate of Huevos Rancheros lucky for me they have hot cakes not very good hot cakes but more appealing than the Mexican fare. After some food I'm feeling a little better but I still can't trust a fart. We head off for Creel and John stops at a Pemex well outside of Chihuahua asking if I'm OK and comments about how beautiful Mexico is. All I can think about right now is what a crappy country this is, it's dirty and run down and it's tying to poison me, I hate Mexico. I can only hope that this will run it's course and I'll be better soon, we continue on. Once we turn south off of Hwy 16 the road begins to get pretty entertaining and the scenery is improving but I'm headed down hill, stomach cramps are starting now. We ride and ride without a stop until I just can't take it anymore and pull over just a few miles outside of San Juanito and double over in pain. John turns around and offers some more Pepto and that there's a Pemex in San Juanito. I remount and ride off muttering I hate Mexico. The stop in San Juanito brings some relief and it's not too much farther and we're in Creel. Charlie has talked with Arturo who is a Doctor and he has suggested an antibiotic so I head to the Pharmica and pick some up only because this will be the last place we can count on getting drugs like this. For some reason I'm determined that letting this bug run it's course is the best way to deal with it so I resist taking the antibiotics. At dinner I eat half of a crappy Mexican hamburger while avoiding eye contact with everyone else's burritos and enchiladas. Sometime in the very early morning hours I decide that this letting it run it's course thing isn't going to do the trick I head for the Imodium and the antibiotics.

A few hours later we're up and getting ready to go I'm actually feeling OK but I'm still missing my appetite so it's hot cakes for me again. We leave Creel and find the dirt right away headed for Uruachi. Once we're a couple of miles out the scenery turns surreal, rocks the size of houses dot the landscape some stacked on top of each other. It looks like a movie set for the Flintstones, for some reason I didn't even stop to take any pics I tried not to make this mistake again.

Our bikes are dirty, now we're cool.
    [​IMG]

One of my bathroom stops, what a beautiful country to crap in :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near Maguarichi the scenery gets even better.
    [​IMG]

We bounce along until we reach the small town of Maguarichi where we take a break. We've finally reached the more mountainous parts and the scenery is moving towards jaw dropping. I'm feeling in the OK range and I'm beginning to love Mexico now.

Downtown Maguarichi.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately that didn't last. With about 20 miles to go I'm feeling the fatigue starting to set in and the stomach cramps are coming back. I won't go into the gory details but the last 10 miles are the most difficult 10 miles of my life. :puke1 I couldn't tell you if there were mountains or great scenery all I knew was I needed to keep a laser like focus on the road ahead and keep my head in the game so I didn't make a mistake and hurt myself. We arrive in Uruachi and I head for bed Charlie brings me some food and drink and I'm out for about 12 hours.

When I wake in the morning I'm back to the OK range and am able to even finish my huevos con jamon, eggs and ham. We're going to spend the day here in Uruachi Charlie wants to check out a river crossing near by. Most of us just knock around town for the day see the sights and meeting a few of the locals. We're hanging around the city offices waiting for the internet cafe to open when a gentleman approaches us speaking some not so bad English. IIRC his name was Hector and he's the local taxman he has relatives in the Denver area so his English is far better than my Spanish. We chat a bit and tell him we're waiting on the internet cafe to open, the sign says 9:00 it's now about 9:45. You can use the internet in my office he says so we all pile in and take turns at the computer. There are some maps on the walls and since we're looking for some new roads we've just heard about Charlie and company are asking lots and lots of questions. We finally clear out of there after about an hour and a half. A couple of us spend the rest of the day walking around town checking out the homes and businesses. It's here I notice that the Mexican building codes are maybe a bit more liberal than back at home I call this Mexican Code.

Our home away from home in Uruachi.
    [​IMG]

The view fro the veranda at the Don Lalo.
    [​IMG]

The hotel owners dogs enjoying the sunshine :jkam
    [​IMG]

Interneto and maps in Hector's office.
    [​IMG]

Just one reason the not drink the water, actually 3 reasons.
    [​IMG]

I'm just guessing what's in that pipe down towards the river is another reason not to drink the water.
    [​IMG]

Uruachi from above.
    [​IMG]

The boys enjoying the view of the river near the hotel.
    [​IMG]

Mexican Code this was right next to the school gym :huh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naw, it's OK we don't need a level :huh
    [​IMG]

Ian and John relax in the hotel courtyard complete with lemon and lime trees for your drinks :freaky
    [​IMG]

Truck of the day. This guy broke a ball joint right in front of the tire repair shop, lucky dude there are a lot worse places in Mexico to break down.
    [​IMG]

<object height="344" width="425">

Hector had suggested a restaurant in town so we head there for dinner. This place is spartan even for rural Mexico standards, we recognize the owner as he's been riding around town on an older small Suzuki street bike. On the menu for tonight is a goat stew that's been cooking in a big vat all day. Personally I don't think I'm up for goat just yet so I get a hamburger, another crappy Mexican hamburger. When the goat stew comes it really smells pretty good and everyone else seems to like it.

In the morning we head out of town to the north taking a break in San Miguel. The propane delivery guy is in town and one of the locals stops by for his fuel. He grabs this big like 75 or 100 lbs tank and hoists it up on his back and starts to walk back home. The things these folks need to do to survive is amazing to to those of us that lead a relative life of luxury. Once we're about 30 miles from Uruachi we intersect the bigger road we're looking for and the damn thing is paved now! Well not for long once we round the first big sweeper the pavement ends and we're on a big smooth gravel ready to be paved section. That lasts for maybe a mile and it's paved again then after another mile or so it's back to gravel. This goes on for miles and miles back and forth between paved, good gravel, loose gravel, rocky gravel finally settling down to a regular Mexican gravel lane and a half two track. We hit the big road just west of San Juanito then it's south back into Creel. And you know what?? I'm hungry! Now that hasn't happened for a few days. We walk around Creel for awhile checking out the shops and a museum. At dinner I get some Mexican fried chicken and it's fabulous I can't eat it fast enough. I control my urge to gorge myself but it tastes so good and feels so good to feel good again. I love Mexico!

Better living through chemistry :clap:clap
    [​IMG]

As long as we're in Mexico and there's beer I'm happy :deal
    [​IMG]
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CkGWGwGiy6o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
  15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love Mexico reports.. Gotta take the good with the not so good.. and makes me appreciate how good we have it at home :thumb Thanks for the report and pics!

mas mexico :lurk
  16. themadone

themadone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this something you normally eat at home and thats why you're suprised that you got ill?:lol3
  17. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a little behind, but here it is.

While Rick and John took the paved road to Creel the rest of us dabbled in dirt roads. We took pavement to Carichic and then got into some dirt and gravel. Where we took a sharp turn to the south John and Rick continued west and took the first yellow road south. Notice that we didn't take the shortest route on the paved portion. That would have been boring and cost money.

[​IMG]

Shortly after Carichic (aroung 95 miles on the elevation chart) the road got a little more interesting. This is another section that I expect will be paved before too long. There are already bridges where there used to be water crossings.

[​IMG]

Travel time was 7 hours including all stops.
  18. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    almost NEC compliance !!!!! eerr I mean, we'll get there..... some time...:lol3

.....after install the grounding....
  19. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    This day we went to Creel to Uruachi. We hoped to go on to Bahuichivo depending on the depth of the Rio Oteros.

[​IMG]

You can see that there is a bit of up and down in this section. There are also many unexplored roads and new ones being built all the time.

[​IMG]

At the bridge at Mile 50 or so Rick was starting to be under the weather. John, Chris and Ian went ahead and Rick rode between Bob and I (the slow guys). There were several stops for purging the body of bad fluids. Some parts of this road can be challenging and as I crossed each one I though "This is where Rick dies", but he soldiered on just gassing it and bouncing from rock to rock. We arrived in Uruachi past sundown but with a little light left. I parked quickly and went over to see how he was and all he said was "I have to lay down". John and I walked him up to his room and he hit the bed. We tended to his gear and parked his bike hoping he would improve.

Travel time was 8½ hours including all stops.
  20. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since Rick and now Chris were not quite up to par (a slight understatement) we decided to stay in Uruachi another night. In the afternoon Bob and I rode out to the Rio Oteros to see if we would be able to cross it. The map and profile show only the trip out.

The river was pretty high and fast so we rode back with the news that we would need to re-route. No problem as we are FLEXIBLE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along the way we saw remnants of a stone wall that was doubtless constructed by some pre-Columbian civilization.

[​IMG] Photo by Bob

Travel time was 3 hours including all stops.