I Hate Talking About Money But Let's Do That Please

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kalachakra, Jun 25, 2018.

1. kalachakra

kalachakra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys Nat here,

I'm planning a trip from Toronto Canada, to Santiago Chile, on my Kawasaki KZ750LTD now I have a whole other thread asking about the fesability of that trip on that bike but that aside focusing on just the cost what would you guys say the cost of riding from Toronto to Santiago would be?
  2. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the bike running and then take some short-one or two week trips. This will give you some idea of how much it costs you to be on the road. My costs and yours will be drastically different. Even if stealth camping the whole way, you will wake up one morning and want a shower, clean clothes and a good meal. These cost money. Read about border crossing on here and figure how much each will cost. Mexican insurance, fees and the extra money needed to make things happen. Not to put a damper on the idea, but some short trips will answer a lot of questions about not only daily costs but also about what equipment works and what does not for you.
    She will come along soon and the opportunity will be gone for decades so use this summer to prepare and then go.
    subcomm likes this.
  3. dksd39

dksd39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No way to answer this question like turtletownman said. Do you even have all the riding gear and camping gear or are you using a walmart tent and wearing jeans and a tshirt? If you have never taken an extended ride then good luck...its not like watching a movie lol. Gear alone can cost thousands. Also how long do you expect this trip to take? Are you simply riding without any sightseeing budget? There are litterally countless questions and all you have provided is bike with no other info.
    Now with all that there are people that are on a daily budget that is less than i spend on daily fuel. They are on bicycles and scooters and they are getting it done because they wanted it "that" bad. I for one cant imagine travel like some but then none of my friends can imagine doing the riding i do.
    So personally.. speaking only for myself. I find that a daily budget of $100 ($3000 per month) for my travel. In north america i camp (campgrounds not stealth) as hotels alone would blow my budget. I dont pinch every penny and i eat out at least once a day. Additionally i average 400 ish miles on travel days and take a rest day every 3 or 4 days. My actual daily expenses usually fall in the $70 to $80 range which gives my budget room for A) unexpected expenses B) large travel expenses such as shipping the bike ( Darien Gap) you do know you cant just ride to Chili right?
    Maggot12 and severely like this.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I'd start with $50/day as the rock bottom estimate for your travel once you're already set up. Say your bike gets 40 mpg and fuel averages $4/gallon. A 200 mile day will gobble up $20 of your $50. There are some places you can camp but most you can't so factor hotels in. Cheap hotels are around $30 +/- in Mexico and South America but if you can find someone to split it, that's $15 for your share. That leaves you $15 for food and beer which is doable with some restraint. Have a disaster fund kept separate for unexpected expenses. A very few could do it for less but most will spend more.
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Figure an average of $100/night for California lodging.
  6. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is old info, but in 2006 I spent 175 days riding from Texas to Argentina on $65/day for a total of $11,380. That is all in, about a third of that was transporting myself and the bike across the Darien Gap, and shipping the bike home from Buenos Aires, and flying home myself. This includes everything, I bought three tires for the bike, bought a new camera and some riding pants and whatever expenses came up. I did a backpack trip in Guatemala and a mountain bike trip in Bolivia, so I did some stuff of the bike too. I stayed in cheap hotels/hostels, but ate restaruant/comedor meals usually twice a day. A lot is going to depend on what countries you spend the most time in, and the relative currency values. With the weak peso, Mexico is cheaper now than it was then. I took camping gear, but didn't use it till I got to Chile and Argentina, then I used it a lot. In most of Latin America, camping is not part of the culture, it can be done, but it is not like the USA or Canada.

You should read up on the current situation in Nicaragua and plan what you will do if things don't improve by the time you get there.

If I were in your place, I would stick to the US, Mexico and maybe the Central American countries north of Nica. There is plenty to keep you entertained for as long as you want, and you will never be more than a few days bus ride from home. Look up the border crossing requirements for each country, they will all have a procedure for temporarily importing your bike. You will need your passport, drivers license and bike title. Mexico is an expensive border to cross, at about $75 US for yourself and the bike, the other CA countries are cheaper.

If you have other questions, I have lots of recent experience in Mexico and Guatemala, but haven't been further south since '06.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  7. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make your own food, stealth camp and couchsurf, find a random cash job along the way and you can cut the expenses quite a bit! Go for the orange stickers in the supermarket, do some diving in the bins at the back of the said supermarket go to church on sunday (really!) and get invited for lunch / dinner / stay overnight.

There are expenses that cannot be avoided, like gas, tires and maintenance, but the other stuff can be quite easy to cut down.

There are a lot of awesome tips about what and how to cook / eat on the road on this Forum. 'Search' is your friend!

Keep your rig Well maintained and live cheap.

Cheers!
    subcomm likes this.
  8. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Tallbastid likes this.
  11. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recall a ride report of a couple of friends who went to work in Alaska to make fast money to fund their trip to South America. They banked all the money they could by living cheap and finding well-paying manual labor jobs that did not require advanced training. Sounds like you are eventually college-bound, but have you considered working construction or some other hard labor well-paying job to fund a better motorcycle trip in the meantime? I'm not discouraging your trip, but doing it broke is not nearly as good as doing it with money. (That's true for life in general, btw.)
    Cigar likes this.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I really don't want to piss in your Cheerios, but I'd plan a few overnighters to feel out what you need and don't need. Hell, I have all the gear, camping equipment, finances, and experience to take a month long trip but I'll still do a quick over nighter a few weeks beforehand to make sure I'm all set.
    Cigar likes this.
  13. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I did a year-long ride (rode to Alaska first) Flew the bike over to Bogota then 8.5 months in South America. Pretty budget conscious trip... dont think I could have done cheaper without skipping/rushing over pricier areas.

Spend roughly 23k CAD and my pilion spent 17k CAD over a year. 65,000km and 365 days
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just spent 2/1/2 months in eastern Europe which is priced similar to Mexico and Central america except for gasoline, gas averaged 2.25 a liter( I travel Mexico by bike every winter) My costs were 80.00 Canadian a day, so a little more than what jfman spent. His post is not clear about the pillons contribution to the overall costs. I only averaged 250km a day and camped 50% of the time to keep costs down.
    Food, beer ,gas and lodging, one rear tire and 2 oil changes plus chain and sprockets, 80.00 a day.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    $70 per day
    Dan Diego likes this.
  16. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that is a knowledgeable quote, not a SWAG.
  17. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the OP took his trip yet? I'm a bit late but here are my thoughts.

@jonz experience tallies with mine. $50/day minimum, staying in modest hotels, spending $15 for gas, and $15 for food. You could save by cooking your own food, and camping in the boonies- but I find that if I do that, I isolate myself from the very people I've gone out traveling to meet.

@TUCKERS comes in with a very reasonable $70- that would be a comfortable and fun, but not extravagant trip.

Myself- today- I would count on somewhere close to $100 per day, to cover tires, maintenance and other expenses. Especially since you will have to cover the cost of sailing or flying your bike from Panama to South America. But if you've only got half of that, or less, I'd still go....camping and cooking and probably only into Central America and back.

....................shu
  18. RowBust

RowBust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I
    Spend about 150/day living in my own home and riding every day +food
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We always figure that if you stay home you still have to eat...but it can cost more to eat on a trip. But of course you save somewhat on other home bills. The two of us averaged $100 a day riding to Ushuaia (2bikes) so my $70 is based on one bike....AND that didn’t cover the $2000 we spent getting the bikes from Panama to Colombia.....still we spent just less than $10,000 for two bikes two people one way.
    shu likes this.
  20. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a Canadian I had to pay $160US to enter Argentina ( must buy online before reaching border)and $60 to get into Colombia.Americans may be exempt, but may have to pay to enter Bolivia