I have a confession to make, a dirty secret...I don’t keep maintenance records!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by canoeguy, Nov 22, 2020.

1. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frankly this level of dedication is amazing. No criticism from me, just borderline awe.
    GlennR and AdamChandler like this.
  2. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Written words can really go the wrong way, I enjoy what you write and figured you had an interesting and very detailed approach. I literally do have a google docs sheet with my maintenance records. I was poking fun at myself as much as others. I am sincerely apologetic it wasnt received the way I intended. Feeling bad about the whole thing.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Phew and no offense taken thanks to this post and I apologize, I'm not in some bad mood today, I've unfortunately lived on the Internet way too long and I treat emails or forum mentions as just like someone is paying an in person visit so I try to reply with as much as I can with as much time as I can and honesty and from a helpful direction and then about 1% of the time, I get bit in the ass because it was someone just trolling me and so now I get defensive when I think I'm having a conversation with someone only to realize they don't like me and now I've fallen into a troll-trap. It rarely happens on ADVRider but has a couple of times more recently.

Know I'm sorry for jumping the gun on you, I mis-read your post. Hopefully we can have a beer one day in person (which is my dream for everyone I talk to online because in person is always better!!!)

thanks.
    TonySilver, GlennR, AZbiker and 3 others like this.
  4. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm far worse than that, I just did an oil change on one of my bikes. Checked the mileage and it was around 3x the recommended interval 16,000k's rather than 6,000- blaming Covid (and me being lazy ;) ) for this one, because of the border closures here I just hadn't done any long trips and as a result simply hadn't noticed the k's accumulating.

FWIW: the oil that came out still looked smelled and felt like oil and had decent viscosity, no crap on the magnetic drain plug etc.

I do generally stick some masking tape to things like airboxes and note down the k's things like air filters were changed at but that's about it.
  5. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a simple excel spreadsheet: simple, easy and useful for things like mileage on different brands of tires. one file with a sheet for each bike.

date mileage oil/filter tires other notes
  6. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Mac Numbers spreadsheet but it is not very good and it tells lies.

There is no way I have spent $20,000 on my scooter.

The odometer on the scooter also tells lies, 145,000 km is bull shit. The only TRIP I did was to Dawson City last year.

And don't get me started on how the bank has stolen my money and that BASTARD Visa.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is why I never keep MC related receipts. Not for new bike purchases, parts, accesories, or gear. Dont want to know.
    sieg likes this.
  8. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep a paper log of maintenance on each of my bikes. Tires, brakes, oil changes, and any major service or parts replacement. I also give the records to the next owner.

Wife kept hers on her phone - and of course lost it.
    Lumber83 likes this.
  9. Lumber83

Lumber83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No shaming here! But since you asked. I make notes with pen or pencil in the back of the owners manual. If I don’t have the owners manual, I tape a piece of paper to my garage wall. It’s archaic. And it works. If I run out of space, I add a blank sheet of paper and include it in the manual. The noted info is: date, hours, mileage. I note any preventative maintenance, repairs, add ons, adjustments, etc. it’s been very helpful with stuff like , “what jets are currently in the carb or suspension settings”. It makes it easy to reference.
  10. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)

Oh man don’t get me started.

I used an app for years called Moto Minder. I LOVED it. It was so easy. Do the maintenance, pull out the phone, log it in. I kept track of let’s see, 4 cars, 2 ATVs, a snowmobile and my ZRX.

Then the app developer did not update it to be compatible with an Apple iOS update. It no longer works, and since I didn’t see a need for redundant record keeping, I lost years of records. The one that hurts the most was valve adjustments, those are far enough apart that I really only have a vague idea when they were done on the ZRX and ATVs.

I’m back to writing down the date, mileage and services in the owners manuals.
  11. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I had a bunch of records on a Commodore 64. I guess those are lost forever also.
    MeefZah, jay547 and Bultaco206 like this.
  12. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    An iPhone 5s might as well be a Commodore 64. That says something about technology and the times we live in.

It does have a little crack in the screen, but it still works. :-) It really bugs me that I know the data is there on the phone, but I can’t get to it. I suppose if I knew more, I could install an older version of the iOS and be able to open the app.

IMG_2747.jpg
  13. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to keep records. Never really got me anywhere, nothing I ever sold was worth more because I had written stuff down. I never found myself referencing my logs, either... and I really wasn't keeping track of mileage on tires and such... if they needed replaced, I replaced them. Now I write the date and mileage for an oil change on the side of the engine case with Sharpie and wipe it off when the next change happens. Stuff like valves and plugs and air filters I do at even services before they're due (eg 20 000 mi) so it's easy to mentally keep track of that stuff, ie every 20k.
    sieg likes this.
  14. BobinCT

BobinCT Not that dirty

Oddometer:
    When I was younger and had fewer vehicles I only kept records until the powertrain warranty was up. Now I have two cars, a truck, and 4 bikes in the garages and I can't remember when I did what to which. The spreadsheet I keep in the cloud is for me, not the next owner. I also have a small poster on the wall over the compressor with all the tire pressures.
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not an Apple guy but if the phone still powers up can't you just connect it to a computer and upload the file you want to the PC/Mac?
    AZbiker likes this.
  16. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Of course, it's a good habit to keep maintenance records. But as the years go by most of us collect more & more toys & tools that aren't used extensively. Instead of keeping records and basing maintenance on mileage we often just do it annually, or "whenever" for the cheaper and/or seldom-used ones.

Things like tillers & log splitters don't usually get used for many hours annually, so they tend to get the "whenever" schedule.
  17. Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I buy any used item, I very much appreciate seeing that the previous owner appeared to be meticulous in his/her care of that item, and I do value any records they kept. Yes, I know, they can be faked, but I try to size up the seller in that regard as well.

I am fastidious about keeping records on things I own. True, dealers never ask for them at trade in, but they seem to appreciate them. I also use records to keep track of how things pan out, how well various adjustments work, gas mileage, etc.

True, records don’t always indicate anything. Nevertheless, I value them both when buying something and when owning something.

This is being written by someone in their 60’s who still has their prized Lionel locomotive, their first air gun, and still uses the Cross pen they received for high school graduation...
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I take photos of all the receipts which are automatically archived on Amazon photos, and throw away originals; the rest of the maintenance is implied. I've never looked back at the old records, but they are there, in perpetuity. As the Sun will be falling into the black hole in the middle of the galaxy, billions of years from now, the records will still be there, in some digital form...
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being a Ural owner, all I need to know is the location of a bigger hammer.......:D

And as such I'm equally amazed, and bewildered by the digital, and analog records some keep. Not a disparagement, just an admission I lack the knowledge, or determination to do it myself.
  20. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see no value in keeping records. Any dealer maintenance is on the dealers computer and if ever there was a need , I'd ask them. Other then that I know when to change the oil and filter. I take care of my motorcycle and car so i know the next owner is getting a good vehicle .if it's a deal breaker for them , so be it , on to the next guy.
    sieg likes this.