I have a legit oil question - Track Days

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Jul 11, 2019.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those of you that regularly take your Boxers to tracks and beat up on them for 8 hours, do you change your oil after? I always do on my car and for $50 for liquid-moly for the Boxer, it's not that expensive of insurance. Thoughts?

I'd love to see some data from oil tests following track days but let's be honest, this is ADVRider, everyone is going to have the right answer and no one is going to have science to back it up :p

I'll have 500 miles on my oil when I go to a track day on the 16th in CT. Then I ride all day then drive 150 miles home. Should I dump the oil and change it? Do I need to also do the oil filter, too?
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  2. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If $50 gives you piece of mind then do it. I dont do track but if I did I would.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2-for-1 Opinion:

Sure, why not? As you said, cheap insurance. Can't hurt after really giving the bike a proper workout. Surely that oil has broken down quicker than regular old humdrum miles.

Nope, not worth the effort. The engine will have no idea that it's been at a track day, miles are miles after all. This isn't a KTM EXC with only 1 quart of oil, these bikes are made to go 6k between oil changes.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't personally waste the time. The money would be secondary.

When I tracked my daily driver Bimmer a lifetime (or at least a marriage) ago, we'd change nearly all of the fluids as part of the tech. process - there was a list that had to be signed off on back then. Afterwards, I'd run that oil to whatever the mileage threshold was before swapping in fresh oil. I used quality oil, of course, but just about everyone does, and I'm certain that you do.

It doesn't hurt a modern engine to bounce of its rev-limiter occasionally, even with regularity. I'm not saying that changing the oil afterwards is a waste, per se, just that it's not necessary.

Now swapping between track vs. street brake pads, so as not to chew up those expensive cryo-treated rotors that I forgot to tell the (now) ex wife about, is another topic altogether.

For the really anal, you can always swap in the "air" that's pressurizing the tires for nitrogen. I'll leave the debate about relative percentages to the chem-nerds who know far more than I.
    AdamChandler and gonzomup like this.
  5. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know most cars have both normal & severe maintenance schedules for a reason. May change it 10% earlier for every track day would be a good compromise?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And fifty bucks buys a lot of miles at 40+ mpg!
    AdamChandler and gonzomup like this.
  7. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done numerous track days with different GS's and never bothered with extra oil changes other than normal service time. It's the tires that are really consumed. Hey is that two Wetheads in the Corkscrew?
    [​IMG]
    jamracing, Desmofan, Bors and 2 others like this.
  8. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't change it. How hard are you really going to push it? Maybe I'd change a little earlier than the normal interval, but that's about it. Track days I've been on for my sport bike I'd change the weight because I rode very hard and the bike got really hot, but I think I'd just be tooling around on my GS, more or less getting a feel for it, but not going bat shit.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Olive oil ...it lasts longer...then use it on your antipasto :imaposer
    jamracing likes this.
  10. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The boxer has a lot of oil capacity, and by modern standards does not make that much horsepower. It also has a pretty effective oil cooler. IMHO Sittin in traffic at 8 bars oil temp is harder on it. So you don't have to, it will not hurt if you do.
    LowOnFuel and AdamChandler like this.
  11. Jehos

Jehos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't get why you'd do that. The pistons aren't moving *that* many more times. Even if you're driving it *hard* and bouncing off the rev limiter for the whole session, that's maybe what, 3 hours total of that sort of run time? Nobody gets to run 8 hours straight, you do like 20 or 30 minute sessions.

3 hours at say 8500rpm instead of say 4000rpm. That's an extra 4500 revolutions every minute for 3 hours, or an extra 810,000 revolutions. At a normal 4k rpm cruising rate, that's 202.5 minutes or about 3 1/3 hours of run time. Let's say your typical cruise-around-the-back-roads average moving speed is 50mph. That's an extra 168.75 miles worth of engine wear you put on your bike by doing a track day.

If you wouldn't change your oil after an extra nice afternoon spent riding around, why would you change it just because you did a track day? Even if you want to more than double the impact to your engine because it's running hard or hot or you just feel like it, it's not unreasonable to say that for every track day you do, change your oil 500 miles earlier. That's well within a safety margin for the oil. You should spend a lot more time worrying about the state of your brake fluid after a track day than the state of your oil.
    AdamChandler, bmac and ScooterNoMore like this.
  12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If this is your first time on a track, you won't be going fast enough to stress the engine or the oil to require changing it. The load on the engine, and how hot the oil gets, it dependent on how often and long the throttle is held wide open. If you've got dual purpose tires, you won't be accelerating hard out of corners, or going into corners all that quick. Try to have fun and learn something about going quick on pavement, and don't forget that your insurance probably doesn't cover damage done on a track.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. gonzomup

gonzomup ChainGang Recidivist Supporter

Oddometer:
    :stupid

which is to say,

[​IMG]
  14. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here

Oddometer:
    As a former racer, no. You do not need to change your oil right after your trackday. Even when racing most of us changed it every few race weekends and when just doing trackdays I would change my race bike every 4 or 5 full days and I was certainly pushing it harder than a street bike.

Just ride it there. Ride it at the track. Ride it home. Change your oil when it's normally due. You won't be putting that oil through any stress it can't handle or any use it isn't rated for.
    todcp and AdamChandler like this.
  15. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    on track , you spend alot of your time at the higher ends of the rev-range and your brakes get a workout as well.

ie , engine oil and brake fluid.

whether you change them before / after depends on how much you care for your machinery.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. GSbyname

GSbyname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you really push yourself at the track day, you may have to change your tyres or brake pads afterwards.
    If you really push too hard you may have to change bar-ends/levers/mirrors/engine-bars/valve-covers afterwards.
    And probably your undies!
    But bike's fluids, no. Remember, you are using it as it is designed to be used!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam do a change and get a UOA when you get home. Black Stone does a nice job. I think it is 25 bucks and then 10 more if you want a test to tell you what life you oil had left in it. This would indicate if you did sheer the oil at all.

Me I would change it and if I really wanted to know send it off for a UOA. It is the only way you will know for sure.

My thought is since you will be running the motor faster and harder in bursts, that it will in fact break the oil down. Cruising on cruise control is a lot different then 50 to 100 mph and then 20 to 50 to 100 mph in blinks of an eye.

I also agree tires, brakes and brake fluid is going to catch hell for sure. Brakes and tires can be looked at, brake fluid well you either change it or dont. I am betting on a 90 degree day on a track, with the use of braking and acceleration I bet you get those rotors pretty hot and the calipers also so the heat has to transfer to the caliper, the cups, and the fluid behind them.

Yes I am over cautious but for the cost of oil, filter, and brake fluid it is less then 75 bucks so worth it to me.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On R6’s and R1’s I would change the oil after a full track weekend but typically those were bikes that were ridden on the street as well so they usually had some street miles on them in between track days. Your likely fine to do the track day and ride home and not have to change the oil at the track before the ride home if your asking that. I would likely shorten the service interval as the Moto oils also bathe the clutch on the bikes I was using so I would typically change them after a track weekend with the filter as it’s cheap insurance. Oil usually looked pretty good coming out though but never had it tested.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about changing the oil. I've done lots of track days on boxers and I change it at the regular intervals. 300K+ miles and I've never had an engine problem.

That being said, you really need to get a sportbike for the track. You can find a late 90s / early 2000s 600cc bike for a few grand. I know the boxer is fun but an actual sportbike an order of magnitude more fun.
    Tenacious B and AdamChandler like this.
  20. 2WhldZEN

2WhldZEN If it don't go-chrome it! Supporter

Oddometer:
    As another person noted; I'd be looking more at the front brake pads.
    Get a fresh set on the bike and bring the take-offs along.
    Probably overthinking it if it's your first time on track, I didn't ride mine there but tires and brakes atayed on the bike for months after.
    Enjoy!
    AdamChandler likes this.