I hope this is in the right place... Help a Murican plan a trip to 'Straya

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Yamarocket630, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Honey Badger

Oddometer:
    No offense intended with the 'Straya thing. :hide

Warning.. PUI content.

I'm a huge fan of the Australian Supercars series. While there is a 0% chance of me being able to make this years finale to watch Scotty Mac win the title, I want to come in 2019 for either the Gold Coast or Newcastle race. It will probably be a 2 week trip (including travel time) so call it 11 days total. I need to keep the wife entertained as well, so need some non-racing content to the trip.

On one hand it seems the Gold Coast 600 has a better 'party' atmosphere so it will be fun and keep the wife entertained, but on the other hand, Newcastle is the season finale.

Then of course is the budget. Obviously it wont be a cheap trip, but it's also a once in a lifetime chance to visit and entirely different continent, hemisphere, etc etc etc.

1. First off, Gold Coast or Newcastle? They are fairly close to each other and the races are only about a month apart, so I assume the weather will be about the same. Is one city really much better than the other to visit?

2. Related question, Traveling around the east coast. Is public transit in and around either city decent? Can a Yank like me just rent a car and drive around? If so, can I rent a Falcon FGX? :wink:

3. Any must see places in these areas? I'm going to assume it will be our only visit.

4. Any other suggestions? Places to stay? Places to avoid? Food to try? etc?
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    If your taking the missus go the Gold Coast. Lots to see and do, a very big tourist destination.

You can still rent an XR6, but it won't be for much longer.

Enjoy your trip. The Queenslanders will pipe up soon on what to see and do.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what else would interest you / your wife during the trip?

My vote would be newcastle because I hate the touristy feel of the gold coast. Given a choice, I'd rather sail with dolphins in nelson bay / the isolation of the myal lakes, or even lake mac, then wander along relatively quiet beaches like fingal bay. But if you would prefer surf beaches and bikinis head to the gold coast

If you want an excuse to hire a car and meet our cops, then the ranges to the south of the gold coast might appeal. I'll never forget the ride up the gibraltar ranges , but that might be because my guzzi dropped a valve just out of glen innes.

To be honest, either destination could fill in an 11 day trip, it depends on what you enjoy.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It's not "Murican" mate, it's "merkin".

Places to avoid? The Gold Coast. It's a sleazy tourist trap where all the "Arthur Daley" types end up living. Sit on a street corner in the evenings and watch prostitutes being ejected from moving limousines onto the road.

The Gold Coast generally has a better climate when the races are on, however, and there's some really nice country in behind and to the immediate southwest, the Border Ranges are actually the weathered caldera of an extinct volcano and there's some nice country in there, Byron Bay for example (though it's choked with tourists at Byron eh).
    Sfcootz likes this.
  5. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunno, if I was planning a once in a lifetime trip to the other side of the world to watch a V8 Supercar race (you could just go downtown and watch taxis in peak hour, but hey, your frills, your business) I would be going to Bathurst, not Newcastle, not the Gold Coast.

The Gold Coast is a tourist trap.

Newcastle is a recovering industrial city.

Bathurst is the best track in the country and one of the most iconic races on the planet. Hell, we even have several places serving seppo style BBQ to make you feel at home.
  6. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Bathurst. Don’t fuck about. Pretty close to the best riding in Aus as well.
    Wodger63 likes this.
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Agreed. If you like watching brightly coloured and overpowered taxis go stupidly fast, Bathurst is the only track really. The street circuits all suck balls, badly, lots of "catch fence" to enhance your (non-) viewing experience. Plenty of decent riding in most directions from there too, there's a bit of everything from open plains to endless mountain corners, and dirt roads and tracks everywhere. It's a much better option.
  8. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    For a tourist, the Gold Coast is way better than Newcastle,
    they are 700km apart and have different climates, like the difference between Tennessee and Florida.

The Gold Coast has plenty of stuff to do for visitors.
    Public transport is limited to buses and a tram down the strip which is regular and efficient.
    If you do coach tours, it is setup for tourists with lots of theme parks, movieworld, dreamworld, seaworld etc.
    Otherwise rent a car, keep left, no $peeding. Nice hinterland drives, and you'll want a bike once you get out there.

Pics are from a Gold Coast Indy cars race from a few years ago.
    Lots of topless action there.. No exposed nipples in these shots I think.

P1030209.JPG

Indy2006 044.jpg
  9. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Bathurst is the ONLY taxi race I can be bothered watching
    Wodger63 and Paul124ac like this.
  10. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Bathurst? Wife entertained? Umm there might be a small problem here.

Exactly what does the wife like to do? (Other than the usual.)

Bathurst is a much better 'circuit' for both fans and drivers. But it is a country town. So shopping is very restrictive - little choice.

? Say 4 days at Bathurst .. live the wife in Sydney for her interests? Then rejoin ... ???
    If you go this plan - fly Syd-Bath-Syd... saves a fairly long journey with lots of police looking to make money.
  11. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dunno Jenolan caves hill end + wineries in Orange or Mudgee or a spa in the blue mountains.
    Angry Pete and Suncoaster like this.
  12. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mayfield Gardens, Cowra Japanese Gardens, Orange Botanical Gardens, Abercrombie Caves, Wellington Caves, Lilianfils(sp) where Tom and Nicole stayed. Hydro Majestic at Medlow Bath.Kanangara Walls, Glow Worm Tunnel.

And 3hrs from Sydney by road if you need city action not country relaxation.
    Ducksbane, Angry Pete and Suncoaster like this.
  13. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Naa go for Newie. keep 'her in doors' happy with a couple of romantic days in the vineyards at Pokolbin, awesome beaches, some great riding in the Barringtons etc etc
  14. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Honey Badger

Oddometer:
    Neither one of us is big into shopping, other than a couple of small souvenirs we won't buy anything. Typical vacations for us involve a lot of nothing. Laying by the pool or on the beach, maybe an easy hike in the mountains, etc. We like to be able to turn off our brains on vacation.

Bathurst sounds awesome to me, but I doubt I could convince her to be at an all day race. At least at the street races you can ignore there support classes and wander off to the beach, get a drink etc.

Racing might not be everyone's thing, but after growing up with Nascrap it's about the most exciting race series I've ever seen. There's more passing on lap 1 of any ASC race than an entire season of F1.
  15. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It ain’t far from the track to the middle of the town, and it’s a beaut town as well. Also there’s buses that take you up to the top of Mt Panorama and back for bugger all, (it’s a bloody big track) there’s plenty to do and see on the day, it’s an iconic race that is the only live one I’ve been to where I’ve said “well, that’s better than sitting at home watching it.” It is a full on day. The museum is not to be missed with lots of bikes as well.

I can see the attraction of GC, lazing on a beach and sitting by a pool is not something you can do at Bathurst, but trust the locals mate it’s the best Stupourcar race by a country mile. Your rednecks have got nuffin on a Bathurst Bogan.

You need to also learn about Johnson and the rock, Brocky and 5 laps in the rain on slicks, Jim Richards and “you’re all a pack of bastards” and the one-two Falcon finish. Oh yeah, and learn to boo Whingecup. He’s not well liked.
  16. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Well just going by that.
    The Gold Coast it is.

I agree with the boys whole heartedly about Bathurst, but the GC will be much better for the missus.
    upload_2018-11-18_6-43-37.jpeg
  17. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Gold Coast it is then.

Bathurst track wise is much better .. more passing, better views for spectators. But GC wins for lazing by the beach.
  18. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    If you want to turn off your brain QLD is the place to go, you will be among like-minded folk. :photog
  19. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20180807_065532.jpg

Gold coast.
    The atmosphere during race week is great.
    The shopping for the wife is great (Pacific Fair shopping complex)
    There's lots of other touristy stuff... boat trips, Sea World, tours up into the hinterland, forest walks, climb Q1 etc. Just Google Gold Coast attractions or Queensland Tourism and search from there.
    You'll love it.
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just in case those pictures of scry scrapers don't appeal, this is about an hour away from newcastle. Google fingal bay, port stephens etc.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    59DEN, Sfcootz and Russ like this.