I hope this is in the right place... Help a Murican plan a trip to 'Straya

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Yamarocket630, Nov 16, 2018.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Same here, it's the only cage-racing I've been to that didn't bore me to tears.

I also see the Gold Coast gets a couple of thumbs-up from the keep-your-wife-happy brigade. It might indeed be perfect for you, but consider your "once in a lifetime" trip will merely be seeing and doing the same shit you do at home - shopping malls, fast food joints, cheesy souveniers, etc.. At least at Bathurst you get to see the best of what interests you, and you aren't surrounded by shopping malls and carparks.
    tripodtiger, Paul124ac and Wodger63 like this.
  2. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Honey Badger

Oddometer:
    Dick Johnson and the rock was 1980 correct?
    I think JR called them a pack of a55holes.
    I don't like Jay Dub although he's not as much of a whiny cunt as he used to be. Gizzy on the other hand go suck it. Real class act in NZ blocking McLaughlin so he couldn't exit his car.

I hope my knowledge is good enough to fit in. I'll fly my Ford flag and hopefully be an honorary bogan.

After some reconsideration, a weekend at Bathurst preceding or following a week at the Gold Coast might be the ticket.
  3. ozcruiser

ozcruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    An easy hike in the mountains?

Sir, In between Sydney and Bathurst is the Blue Mountains. Just about the most fantabulous scenery in the country, abounding in easy hikes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Lukeb

Lukeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The gold coast is a tourist area .so keeping that in mind still a great place..great beaches great place for few days. The hinterland nice to get away from the craziness ..either way you really cant lose..
  6. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The gold coast is a shithole.
    Come to Victoria and go to the Supercars at Phillip Island. From there the choices are endless.
    zuma and richo360 like this.
  7. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
    Lived in Bathurst for 25 years loved the bikes there and enjoyed the cars and you are all correct it is the race to be at, but not a lot for a bored partner over the day lots of other things to see in district. Now in Newcastle no longer interested in the car stuff but will watch it on TV. Race info and links to tourist stuff here https://www.supercars.com/newcastle/ also if interested in music 2019 concert for the night entertainment is KiISS so if coming to Newcastle next year book now. And Newcastle is only a couple of hours north of Sydney with regular slow electric trains.
  8. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Take a look at airfares. If your going to Bathurst then it might be best to be Sydney based - heaps of things to do/not do and easy flight to/from Bathurst.
    From GC to Bathurst .. flights would go via Sydney... and it is a long drive with cops looking to make money that weekend.
  9. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great place Phillip Island, you can experience all the seasons in just a few short hours. :-)
    PK2 likes this.
  10. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    I've heard it called "The Gateway to Hypothermia".
    OldDog likes this.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That quote is from the late great Barry Sheene. As a flag marshall at several MotoGP and WSBK events there I can heartily attest to the truth of that statement.
    Angry Pete likes this.
  12. mattadv93

mattadv93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go Newcastle .. Beaches are by far better than the gold coast. Vineyards are about a hour away from Newcastle (some of the best wine you can get in the world). 2 hour train ride to the Sydney city centre for all the touristy stuff. Awesome riding out to Wollembi or up to Gloucester. Nelsons bay and Port Stephens have plenty of beach resorts and touristy stuff to do (dolphin cruise or Stockton beach tour). Good vibe around Newcastle when the races are on and the weather is perfect, Not too hot but hot enough to go for a swim. Charlestown and Kotara are picking up there game with becoming pretty good shopping precincts if thats your thing or like i said Sydney is only a 2 hour train ride away. Im a local novacastrian so im biased though. If you have a spare day i might have a bike you can have a lend of and ill take you on the grand tour.
  13. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    @mattadv93 I do appreciate the bike offer, but I wont even drive my wife's car if I can help it. I'd probably kill myself on an unfamiliar bike when I forget to ride on the "wrong" side of the road.

Re: Bathurst. I dont think we can swing it. Not being a local, finding any place to stay anywhere near Bathurst that weekend seems to involve a pre-packaged trip for 4+ nights and $900-1000USD /pp. Just cant swing that when the trip budget will be around $5K USD for 2. I'm back to thinking season finale at Newcastle is the ticket for us. We'll probably fly into and stay somewhere near Sydney and day trip from there. It looks like we can train ride into Newcastle for the race and see Scotty Mac or Davie Reynolds win the next championship. Since the race also happens to coincide with our Thanksgiving holiday that's 2 days we DONT have to take off of work.

Any must dos in the area? Food or drinks to try?
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Beer.

Avoid standard beers wherever you can, like Tooheys, VB, XXX, Carlton, Swan, they are all around 5% alcohol but are also swill.

Tasmanian beers are good. Boags or Cascade.

"Craft" beers seem to be cropping up all over the place, but you will pay hipster prices for them.

The best ales and beers and stouts are Coopers Brewery. A South Australian family-owned brewery that uses traditional brewing methods to this day. (They are allowed to import directly to Germany because they comply with the German pure-food laws.)

BTW, I just watched the Newcastle race (or bits of it) on TV the other day and I reckon most spectators got to see more safety-catch-fence than cars. The fencing interferes directly with viewing around much of the circuit, leaving you with the option of getting drunk.

There are 2 circuits that come to mind with excellent viewing, Mount Panorama and Phillip Island.
  15. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    If anyone has budget friendly suggestions to make Bathurst work, I'm all ears...
  16. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    IF you want to attend Bathurst and find the pricing a bit 'pricey' - may I suggest getting in contact with O'connell Hotel at O'connell - I've stayed there during bathurst - its a 20 minute cab ride and there's generally pub rooms available - Tucker is fairly good from memory, nice friendly Aussie country pub and they don't rip you off .....

Forget flying - catch the train from Sydney - https://transportnsw.info/regional

https://www.oberonaustralia.com.au/profile.asp?id=1878
    GodSilla likes this.
  17. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    My pick (and I have attended all 3 events many times)

1. Bathurst - Once you have been to one of these events, it changes you. Plus, as others have said, a lot to do in the area.
    2. Newcastle - Season ending event, and a lot friendlier area to look around and not be ripped off like.
    3. Gold Coast - Went once, and hated it, tourist trap with way too many piss heads around on race weekend. Overpriced accommodation, restaurants around race time.

Good luck with your decision
    Dukehunt and Redback like this.
  18. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    Yep my pick also, lived in Newcastle lovely area and have been to Bathurst many many times, bikes and cars.
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Steer clear of the town and direct surrounds then, race weekend equates with gouging.

You might be shocked at the price of a motel room here (I know I still am) but country pubs tend to be a more reasonable rate and the food is usually decent. Scour the interweb and see what you can find, and see if any others here know of a recommendable and licenced place of temporary abode within the district (pub).
  20. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    Wait, so pubs also have rooms for rent like a hotel?