I hope this is in the right place... Help a Murican plan a trip to 'Straya

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Yamarocket630, Nov 16, 2018.

1. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    'Pub' is short for 'public bar'...in a hotel.
  2. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    Yep - most of them. The quality can be pretty variable as well as the price. But you're close to the bar!
  3. tomrux

tomrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sofala pub has rooms and is an easy and enjoyable half hour drive from bathurst. Very small country town but with an awful lot of history.

Cheers Tom R
  4. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Honey Badger

Oddometer:
    Well if nothing else, I learned something today.
  5. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    Things are looking up. I appears there are places available on airbnb.com or VRBO.com in the Bathurst area during the race weekend. It's all going to hinge on Bathurst. If we can get those accommodations we'll buy them, the airline tickets and reserve a rental car. At that point we'll probably reserve a place for 2-3 days in Sydney after we arrive to see the city and I think we'll play the rest by ear.
    tomo8r likes this.
  6. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’d wanna be getting onto ‘em quick. I’ve been 3 times for the VESC event and 3 times for the B12H, Accom is at a premium for the Supercars, I live about a 5 hour drive away and have made a day trip once, we camped at Carcoar lake about half an hour south the second two. Showers, toilets and free. Every B12H we’ve camped behind the pits. If you can a) find an air bnb and b) afford it then grab it.
  7. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    Success! We scored what appears to be a very nice AirBnB in Oberon. Not as close as I would like to be, but a great price, nice place with breakfast provided, and the Mrs can stay behind if she wants. A bit of a drive, but we will make it work.

Just for planning purposes, what is the average price for gasoline (petrol?) in Aus? We'll have the smallest cheapest rental car available, as I'm not willing to spend 3x as much just to (maybe) drive something cool that we can't get here in the states.

Do most businesses accept credit or bank cards like here in the USA or should we plan on getting cash?

It seems like speed limits are a big deal there from what has been posted, or is it just local cops generating revenue from out of town people coming to the race? I'm not usually a big speeder but I also don't want to deal with the hassle of getting stopped for 82 in a 80 zone.

Please offer up any suggestions for what to do before or after Bathurst. We are only going to attend Sat and Sunday. Driving trips are OK with us but nothing that would keep us in the car for more than a few hours. Our main goal now will be to fill in what to do between Oct 14th and the 19th when we fly out to go home. We'll rent a car for the entire visit, but we're not opposed to leave it behind somewhere for a fun side trip.

I hope to maybe meet a few of you FFs there.
  8. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Credit cards (except Amex and Diners Club) are accepted everywhere, for example most mobile food vendors have 4G
    payment technology now.
    Have some cash for things like coffee and burgers, souvenirs and buskers.

There are apps/webpages (Petrolspy.com.au, Fuel Map Australia etc) that crowd source local petrol prices.
    Petrolspy price in Bathurst now: https://petrolspy.com.au/map/latlng/-33.4176529/149.5810314

have fun !
  9. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Oberon is 50 km to Bathurst, allow an hour (small roads, and driving near dusk/dawn = animals about) ... and does not have much there... think the wife will be bored if left there for a day? Sofala could be better that way. Humm.. there is a car hire place in Oberon, could hire a car there and go to Jenolan Caves or Katoomba and play tourist.. they are close and popular.

Card or Cash? Both. You want some cash for small stuff, the card will work. And you can get cash from an ATM, make certain your bank knows your traveling so the card won't get stopped.

Bring your cell phones. Buy local sims and you'll then be able to contact each other.. Telstra has the best coverage but cost more. There are Telstra resellers that are cheaper but have less coverage.

Speeding .. not much of an issue < 10 kmh above the posted limit. But they will be more vigilant on race weekend in that area. The usual thing is to do what most people are doing speed and behavior wise and you'll blend in. The non OZie license should also get you some leeway.
  10. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice guys. We're super excited for our visit. 2 weeks won't be nearly long enough I'm sure.

Good to know we can use a card most anywhere. We usually bring USD when we travel in the Carribean, but obviously that won't be much more than a curiousity in straya. Maybe I'll bring some dollar coins to give to people we meet, lol.

I actually expected gasoline to cost more, it's a less than double what we pay here in Tennessee which is some of the cheapest gas in the country. Too bad I can't bring our Nissan LEAF with us. It should charge on your 220v in no time.
  11. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    220v no, that is a bit low ... 240v is what we call it, though officially 230v nominal (reduced to meet international agreements, think that limits us to 260v max). Some households need a bit more .. they get either 15 amp sockets for a little more power ~3,600 watts or go 415v 3 phase.
    If you need a charger make certain it is capable of our voltage and our sockets ..
    [​IMG]
    Note these are the common 10 Amp sockets .. so ~2,400 watts max.
    ------------------------
    Or stick to a car charger - at least those are the same around the world.

===============
    Enjoy Bathurst... if you like that then the Isle of Mann TT (bikes) should be on your list ... worth it.

Bathurst is a 6 km circuit .. umm 3.7 miles
    IoM TT is a 60 km circuit ... 37 miles .. and truly a street circuit..
  12. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I have cash on me. We're turning into a cashless society.

This is the main route between Oberon and Bathurst.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Obe...490435b90!2m2!1d149.5775008!2d-33.4192822!3e0

This is the route I prefer to take. You wouldn't find a cop on most of this route. But you wouldn't fang it because it's not a wide road most of the way.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Obe...490435b90!2m2!1d149.5775008!2d-33.4192822!3e0

This route has a bit of groomed dirt road. (It is an adventure forum after all!)

This is the route to Mayfield Gardens. If you like spectacular gardens, this is worth a look.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Obe...883b50f6dcc!2m2!1d149.778885!2d-33.665617!3e0
  13. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    You'd be mad not to visit Jenolan Caves.

There's no end of stuff to see and do in the Blue Mountains area. Scenic World is good. Go down the train and back up the cable car.
  14. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    Blue mountains is definitely on the list. Probably going to stop there for a least a day before we go to Oberon.
  15. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Oberon is in the Blue Mountains.. I'd go straight there. Settle in and do day trips..

On your way from Sydney to Oberon you have 2 choices - Great Western Hwy (through Katoomba etc) or Bells Line of Road..
    Just for variety I'd take Bells Line of Road to Bell (slower but more bush less villages), then to Mount Victoria, Hampton and then Oberon. You'll use the Great Western Hwy for day trips and the return.

Day trips from Oberon to;
    Jeanolan (2 ways - do both)
    Katoomba/Blackheath etc.. The place you stay at should be able to advise...
  16. Yamarocket630

Oddometer:
    We'll be in Sydney for 2 or 3 days. Just to see the city a little. It's kind of a big deal to not see it at all. After that were have a day or 2 in the blue mountains NP or thereabouts. After that is Oberon/Bathurst.

After Bathurst we may go back to the Blue Mt NP or maybe go to Fingal bay / Nelson bay. We'd like to go further north but there just isnt enough time.
  17. xrxtz

xrxtz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can fit in Hill End via Sofala it’s definitely worth the trip it’s an old gold mining town with plenty of very historic old buildings and a great old pub. Hotel to you like.
  18. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sofala... $45 a night for the room.. Good luck with a feed though, unless you like microwaved pies and a bag of twistees with your beer.
    December last, anyway 20181207_173216.jpg
  19. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Great to read you've picked up an AirBnB. We used that thro' Europe & Ireland last year and it proved fantastic - especially when the hosts ask you to enjoy a beer or jump the school fence for a game of bocci.

Never lived in the Blue Mountains but, have enjoyed things (that haven't been mentioned earlier) like

* the Zig Zag railway at Clarence, a short drive east of Lithgow. I suspect the views OF the train and railway bridges are possibly better than the train ride itself. You'll need to walk to see the railway structures.

*the Gardens at Mt Tomah (? I think that's where they are, someone correct me)

* drive down into the Megalong Valley from Blackheath, for the views of the cliff faces above - especially if you can get there early morning or late afternoon for the light falling on the sandstone. I've never walked it but, if you're into walks, the 'Six Foot Track' is down there. I suspect you'll be pushed for time to do that. Push bikes?

* Kanangarra Walls (geez, where are my photos of all these places) - which is south east of Oberon, towards Jenolan Caves (take Edith Rd from Oberon)
    *Little Hartley - which is at the northern end of the Janolan Caves Rd. Just a pretty little spot, that's all.
    * the views to the south of Mt Victoria. Mt Vic is on a really narrow spit of rock. You only have to turn off the highway, to the south, and go a few hundred metres to the edge of town. It is very much the edge of town as it just falls away to the valley below.

* treat the opposition leader (wife) to a bit of luxury at the Hydro Majestic at Medlow Bath. The place is one of the opulant resorts from the 1930s(?) that went broke, was left to rot and has/is being restored. I've not been there for a few years. I'd expect everything to be at premium price but, great views aross the Megalong Valley.

I reckon you can probably ask anyone in the town for their favourite places. You may well be swamped for choice. I hope it encourages you to plan another trip.

Viewing at the 'Hardly Ferocious'? The very end of Skyline, above the Esses would be hard to beat IMHO.
    Worst viewing at the races will be the pissed bogans.
    Worst easting - take your pick of anything being sold on site.

Speeding? In NSW the stationary camera cars have warning signs before, at and after. The cars are supposed to be brightly marked - currently yellow and blue. Operated by contractors, they wont give two figs for anything other than breaking their set limit.
    In NSW Highway Patrol use marked & unmarked cars. Stationary & mobile radar, with no warning signs. Most of them will give you about 10km/h before pulling you over. The ATTITUDE TEST is often forgotten by people when they get pulled up - you keep whinging, they'll keep writing. Of course, there are still lots of HWP people that act like attack dogs - they don't care about you one way or another, because they've just saved you from killing yourself and everyone on the road with you. Hypocritical pricks. Good luck with them.

You will find fixed speed cameras on the highways - such as the Great Western Hwy and Bells Line of Road. Also signposted. Red Light cameras too. If you're on holiday, you should be in cruise mode. Just don't hold up traffic. Australian drivers are atrocious for tail gating anyone that is traveling slower then they are expected to be traveling.

Have fun. Send us the photos.:photog

+1 for Coopers
  20. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    It's actually short for Public House(ie) any building open to the public.
    jtb likes this.