I just wanna ride 1970 BMW R50/5

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by crawler07, Jun 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. crawler07

crawler07 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah Pokie, after Dazz mentioned them I found that article. Crazy They are even in that tiny museum.
  2. crawler07

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nate! I would never try fixing a dent on anyone’s stuff but mine since I’m just faking my way through this lol.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  3. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    That's a really fine destination and ride! Especially for the ramp supper. Volunteers prepare over 60 bushels of ramps, 300 pounds of ham, 60 pounds of beans, 480 pounds of potatoes, and 200 pounds of cabbage. The meal includes fried and fresh ramps, beans, ham, fried potatoes, applesauce, cornbread, drink, and dessert. I think it's in April.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  4. crawler07

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I never made it to Helvetia yet but we did take a ride up the mountain to Coolsprings it's just a few miles shy of Maryland. Great ride with lots of crazy curves going straight up nd down and the old girl did awesome! I've since ordered a front brake cable and have found a place that has seat foam (really need new set foam its hard to ride more than an hr at a time with the current foam) called Flatracer it looks like their in London have any of you guys purchased from them? The seat foam is really cheap, foam with seat cover is only $105 US doallars before shipping.

Im going to do the Coolsprings ride again Solo with the GoPro so you guys can see how awesome it is!
    dazz and vwnate1 like this.
  5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    RE : replacement seat foams .

Unless it's a bun made specifically for a Motocycle, most "extra firm" foam is the bunk ~ I only buy foam from furniture upholstery suppliers, their form stuff is black in color and nice and stiff like the original factory seat buns were .
  6. crawler07

Oddometer:
    Nate, its a formed seat foam that claims not to hard not to soft (as close to original as they could get it) I have never had luck around my parts with the furniature upholstery shops, they all seem to have way to soft of foam. If I could buy a block of foam in a density that agrees with the bike I would buy it and cut it to fit. But if I can order it and just install it I would be way happier to do that so I can get on the road quicker!

Maybe someone will chime in on Flatracer's sea foams...
    vwnate1 likes this.
  7. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    The local motorcycle seat guy here, suggests using carpet pad foam and stacking it. This way you can build it up and do adjustments to suit your butt.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  8. crawler07

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Pokie, I'll look into that theirs a carpet store just a couple miles from home.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  9. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    @Crawler ;

You're describing a dedicated squab like I mentioned .

Not the cheapest way to go but often the easiest .

Like I said : you have to go to the trim supplies place and talk to the guy, explain you need seriously hard foam, it's always black except in O.E.M seat squabs, then it'll be yellow .
  10. crawler07

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Nate, I figure I will give this carpet foam a try. I picked it up just this morning and will make myself a seat tomorrow morning. You guys will get to see it good or bad

IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5259.jpg

And don’t go calling me a Nance either
    vwnate1 and dazz like this.
  11. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    ? Can I call you late to dinner ? :D .

That will work, I just like a super firm seat .

I'm enjoying riding my 1975 R60/6 with it's incredibly low original miles but I surely do miss my battered but _never_ bowed SWB 1972 R75/5 ~ now I guess the hipsters & kiddies would love it's "!PATINA!" but in reality it was a beat to shit bike I paid $500 for more or less running and loved it best over every other BMW I've ever owned .

I'd trade my sweet R60/6 straight across for another SWB R75/5 but the poseurs hereabouts have screwed things up .

Ride and let us know how you like it .
  12. crawler07

Oddometer:
    I do love the short wheelbase on this bike! It’s so smooth from a curve into another curve and surprisingly stable at speed(I know 55 isn’t really at speed lol) no shakes no wobbles.

So I have started on the seat foam a few min ago and thought I would post as I go…

IMG_5261.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5264.jpg
    IMG_5265.jpg
    Removed all the netting from the one side so it cut easier and should help when carving the foam later.
    IMG_5266.jpg
    And first layer, had to stop as dinner was ready and I will not be called late to dinner
    vwnate1 likes this.
  13. crawler07

Oddometer:
    IMG_5267.jpg
    Later 2
    IMG_5268.jpg
    vwnate1 likes this.
  14. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Looking good so far .

Yes, I've ridden lots of older Beemers, I loved my /2's but they all had crappy brakes and I rode too fast to feel safe with them .

The /5's all have fantastic brakes in spite of them being drums fore and aft ~ how many elderly Motos can *easily* do stoppies on their front drum brake ? .

Also good to see your priorities are in proper order, missing dinner is a very bad thing .

I was surprised to see how quickly I was able to move my SWB /5 through the twisties, some here who ride with me will tell you B.S. abut "Nate's a fast rider" but haing ridden with some actual fast riders I can tell you I'm quick not fast and the BMW /5 SWB bikes are excellent at Motorvating quickly if not particularly fast .
  15. crawler07

Oddometer:
    I hear that Nate, I really enjoy ridding this bike and once I get the seat dialed in and the rear crank seal and clutch this winter I believe next spring I’ll be putting a lot of miles on this old bike!

A little more progress before bed.

IMG_5271.jpg
    IMG_5272.jpg
    I’ll get the next layer that will be a complete front to back layer on then hang her up for the night.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  16. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    I'd thought you were just going to trim the old seat squab and lay some new foam over that .

I'm keen to see how this all works out .

I like that old headlight bucket on your shelf, also the EBC box that says "brakes" but shows "clutches"....
  17. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    um...you really want to de rust the pan and give it some paint or it will continue to rust under the foam and eventually you will not have a pan. I use a stripping wheel to get it to bare steel, then some rattle can cold galvanize as a primer followed by a couple coats of black rustoleum brushed on. don't gotta be pretty, just very solid.

the foam you are using has a plastic film on one side to keep it from absorbing water. otherwise it's a sponge just like the original. it will soak up water anywhere the film is not intact and hold that water against the metal. I prefer foam that will not absorb water for at least the first layer. It is also quite stiff which will be comfy later.
    spo123 and vwnate1 like this.
  18. crawler07

Oddometer:
    The lights from an old Brit bike and those are clutches in that box (cb350) I guess the company is called EBC Brakes company, but definatley a confusing set up lol

Im think im going to get some kind of light weaight 1/4 inch foam to cover the entire seat with once I get the shape
    vwnate1 likes this.
  19. crawler07

Oddometer:
    I did coat it in paint before I glued it on, just didnt take a pic and the first layer has the plastic on against the seat base. I dont expect this to last forever just till I get some dollars saved up to buy the Siebenrock seat (its on baack order everywhere at the moment as well) then I'll make this a single set, well thats the plan anyways
    Plaka and vwnate1 like this.
  20. crawler07

Oddometer:
    Ok got the foam finished
    IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    The flap wheel made things a little rough.
    So….. IMG_5280.jpg
    I burnt it a little.

A torch and putty knife and there ya have it smooth.
    IMG_5283.jpg
    IMG_5284.jpg
    I’m telling anyone to do this, but if you do make sure it’s outside and don’t breath the smoke for crying out loud.

IMG_5285.jpg
    IMG_5286.jpg
    IMG_5287.jpg
    I narrowed the rear section by 1” and the rear height lowered by 1.5” I feel like it looks more proportionate, that big rear didn’t do it for me.
    Once I get the seat cover installed it should look pretty good.