I just wanna ride 1970 BMW R50/5

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by crawler07, Jun 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. crawler07

crawler07 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks TT, I think im at $85 total for the foam and the cover, I bought a bunch of the little t-screws that attach to the seat molding and go through the pan I think I paid around $20 for those so just over $100 for the entire job. The foam is a bit firmer than the original foam (well the state of the 50 yr old foam I had on the bike) I think its going to work out fine, I took a ride on it with the seat cover just clipped over the foam like in the pic and Im happy with it. How long it will hold up in anyones guess, but with it being designed for carpet traffic im sure it will be fine. Besides all the foam has been on back order everywhere I look so this way I can get some more ridding in before winter hits here, after all
    I just wanna ride:-)
    vwnate1 likes this.
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Your butt will appreciate firmer foam the further you ride....

That's a cheapo mirror but why not just polish it up ? .

Cheap mirrors are easy to get from Scooter shops .

Your other mirror is the factory short one, I prefer the long stem factory mirrors .
  3. crawler07

Oddometer:
    I hear that Nate! I actually like the mirror that clamps on and Ill give it a good cleaning one of these winter days. The other morror has a Suzuki S stamped into it and it clamps to the handlebars and its hideous. I guess this bike didnt come with a right side mirror since there is no provision for it in the brake perch or switch gear... If I can find another clamp on mirror that matches the left side I will just make an aluminum arm to match it for the right side and use the existing clamp to install it.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  4. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Remember : NO STEEL WOOL ! it makes tiny scratches in the chrome you can't see but will cause worse rusting than before .

Consider a coat of wax after it's all shiny again .
  5. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do like wax on Chrome but I don't think steel wool scratches it. It's polishing compounds that scratch chrome. They have abrasives harder than steel wool. In refinishing old rusty guns I have used 0000 steel wool. It takes a lot of rubbing but leaves what ever is left of the blueing. Sure some of the finish is gone but that damage was caused by rust not the steel wool.

Chrome is harder than steel.

Polishing compounds have stuff like emory and corabundnum (sp). They are harder than chrome. Wax works wonders sometimes, not polishing compound.
  6. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    steel is much harder than chromium. steel wool has a grain and depending on which direction it is used it is more or less abrasive. I like Simonize chrome polish. removes rust staining and leaves a wax film that lasts awhile. best used prior to several coats of the hardest paste wax, each rubbed out. Partall Paste is the hardest paste wax I know. Not easy to rub out though when it dries. have to lean on it with soft cloth.

https://www.amazon.com/Rexco-Partall-Paste-1-1-Tub/dp/B00N267QE2

good:

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-LQ-045...simonize+chrome+polish&qid=1633871337&sr=8-24

https://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-3...simonize+chrome+polish&qid=1633871608&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05101-Mag-Aluminum-Polish/dp/B00068GEJM/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=simonize+chrome+polish&qid=1633871608&sr=8-31&th=1

I have them all, and then some things for the al. turn signals.

Most can be found at FLAPS, except the Partall.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  7. crawler07

Oddometer:
    I just use good ol neverdull, I’m not crazy about perfect mirror finishes on this old bike.

Who ever the engineer was that designed this seat cover mounting system and the seat hinges to frame mounts needs kicked square in the balls

I cleaned the Aluminum seat trim on the outside and the inside t-track areas. Again not perfectly but good enough for this old bike.

I guess the only real advise I have is when you install the trim that runs around the rear and 1/2 way up each side don’t tighten any of them up till there all installed and the nuts are on a few threads then I took a dead blow hammer and tapped it up against the seat base until it was all seated tight then tightened then all up.

I still need to install the strap, but the wife and I had to take it for a quick ride so I will finish it during the week.

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5301.jpg
  8. crawler07

Oddometer:
    Next I either need to find some exhaust (better used)or make some stainless.

And a new set of bars these are bent up pretty bad the right side is back almost 2” and I just hate the look of these tall bars honestly.
  9. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Handlebars should always be chosen as to how they make you feel, not how they look .

I see so many clip ons or drag bars on bikes that never get ridden .
  10. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    "I see so many clip ons or drag bars on bikes that never get ridden ."

That's likely WHY they don't get ridden!
    vwnate1 likes this.
  11. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job on the seat. Those are difficult to button up if you are a first timer or anyone, really.

You might keep an eye our for an alternative set of saddle bag racks. Those Krauser mounts are notoriously brittle. I had a set that did not fare well.
    That and you can relocate the turn signals to a less precarious position on the standard mounting bar.

You should be able to find alternatives that look like this:

4660306.jpg

maybe keep your bananas peeled for a set when you are browsing at parts for sale.

Cheers!
    vwnate1 likes this.
  12. Disston

Oddometer:
    korinthias likes this.
  13. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    "That's likely WHY they don't get ridden!" .

That's EXACTLY why they don't get ridden .

Always the same foolish mistakes : make it "LOOK REALLY COOL !" then no longer enjoy riding / driving it whatever the vehicle .

Then they get all pi$$ed off when no one else wants to pay extra for the damage they did to it .
    thebisch and CA-Cincinnatus like this.
  14. korinthias

korinthias slightly behind the curve…

Oddometer:
    Agreed Disston, chrome is twice as hard as steel, as I understand it. Where things can start to go wrong is if you decide to clean up rust spots on the downpipes etc. with wire wool and it picks up road grit embedded in the rust. Then you might as well be using sandpaper!
  15. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I think my header pipes could easily use sand paper!
  16. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Wire/Steel wool makes tiny scratches in the chrome that are too small to see but begin the corrosion process .

Because it's s easy and takes a few years to show how you've ruined the chrome many simply choose to ignore the simple facts here .
  17. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    I use steel wool on mine and it's just fine.

R90:5yard.jpg
    spo123 and vwnate1 like this.
  18. Disston

Oddometer:
    I polish chrome with SOS or Brillo pads. I will also use plain automotive wax products on chrome. I have some 000 steel wool that I use to polish blued guns. It does not damage the steel or the bluing. It will remove rust, but takes a lot of rubbing.

If there is dirt or impurities being cleaned it may damage the chrome if it is very hard. Would have to be very hard. I suppose it could be a problem. I'm never had an issue. Some sand papers are hard enpugh to damage chrome.

Chrome polish compounds and other polishing compounds are made with hard substances that will scrtch and wear away the chrome coating. Queen Elizebeth's royal boat the HMS Britania, now retired, had to have the bronze cleats and other fastenings on the hull replaced every 5 years because the chrome was worn away by polishing.

So there.
    korinthias likes this.
  19. crawler07

Oddometer:
    This stuff is really good if you guys haven’t tried it you should.

IMG_5319.jpg
    spo123 and vwnate1 like this.
  20. crawler07

Oddometer:

Wow Dazz thats one hell of a way to keep your bike from getting stolen.

I dont intend to replace the high US bars with clip ons or drag bars but I would like to bring them down a few inches and hopefully I'll be able to use all the cables that I just bought over the past year.
    vwnate1 likes this.