"I just want my El Pollo Loco"....sure, via Toroweap.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by sealsam, May 16, 2019.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This, the words of @simbaboy.

Four inmates get together in St. George, UT to make the ride out to Toroweap, but three of us had to hear all freakin' day about "When we gettin' to EPL?"

El Pollo Loco is Mexican fast food out here in the west, being that simbaboy(Imu)is from Michigan he doesn't get his 'fix' too often so we'd gratify him, but he's gotta earn it.

To cut to the end, the bitch got his chicken, but it took a while, about 12 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get the details filled in, but slowly, I'm shitty at these reports.

The cast;

Me(not pic'd), @simbaboy @Cletus Frade & @RedRockRider

[​IMG]

Never heard of Toroweap or Tuweep? It's just 3000' of "hell yes".

I'll get this picture heavy to tell the story, hopefully those clowns up there will chime in, and hopefully others that have been or want to get out to Toroweap overlook will join in also.

2. sealsam

Oddometer:
    The day starts early for me filling up the new CRF-L, only 450 miles on this puppy.

[​IMG]

The rest of the group showed up and off we went, bikes L to R,

RRR's mighty TW, my CRF, Imu's DRZ and Dave's ZR-2. Dave is a new rider that wanted to see Toroweap but wasn't comfortable on a bike yet to tackle this big ride. Dave had the perfect 4 wheel ride for this trip...and he carried a lot of our crap, great support vehicle! Thanks Dave!

[​IMG]

After a few short stops of bullshitting and checking "on things" we made it to our first big stop,

[​IMG]

I first rode to Toroweap back in '89 navigating using a AAA Indian County map, didn't know anything about the place, I just saw a dirt road on the map that looked pretty cool so off my cousin and I went with 2 gal cans strapped on our seats. The Schoolhouse was not there, it's rebuilding started in '90.

Back in '89 I was on my trusty 86 steed, my cousin Mark had an identical bike,

[​IMG]
  3. kiwi_outdoors

kiwi_outdoors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you go out to Tuweep, take a fruit box out to the Rangers as a gift. Drop it off at the Ranger Station. Fresh fruit is always welcome out there. They helped wife and I out big time a few years back. Which is where I read about the late Ranger John Riffey - who is buried there.
  4. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. GeoffMont

GeoffMont Adventurer

Oddometer:
    don't blame him. man I miss El Pollo Loco. Love the ZR2 as well (only if it's a Duramax) :D
    sealsam and simbaboy like this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm ever out there at the same time as Simbaboy I'll gladly go to EPL with him:dukegirl
  7. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Just did some reading about Ranger John, I knew nothing of this dedicated servant to our public land, 38 years at Tuweep! Amazing. I hope to possibly get back there next month with my son's, I'll go with some goodies.

At the rim we ran into a park service volunteer, not a park ranger, nothing came up about previous rangers that had served at the station. This was my 3rd trip to Toroweap, I'd just wished I would've investigated more about the rim!!

Thank you for the heads up on this, possibly this'll help out future visitors to the area also!

I appreciate you chiming in.

The Virginian and simbaboy like this.
  8. sealsam

Oddometer:
    I didn't even see you take out your Polaroid when you took this, not to comment on the quality, but WTF? Shot from the man that carries a separate suit case of all his latest electronic gizmo's. Love ya brother.:raabia
    The Virginian, simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  9. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Yeah we've done the EPL many times now, it's tolerable. Dave's ZR2 was gobbling up the dirt miles and handled the very rough last 3 miles to the overlook.

Leadville, what a fantastic spot you're in! Thanks for following along.
    The Virginian and simbaboy like this.
  10. sealsam

Oddometer:

...and you should Win, but take the long route through Tuweep.

Imu had pie at your 'retirement spot' restaurant the day before, The Thunderbird Mt. Carmel, UT.
    The Virginian, simbaboy and klaviator like this.
  11. sealsam

Oddometer:
    So far we've only have traveled to the school house with a few stops in between, map wise it looks like this...

We started at the top of the map off the Southern Parkway and headed south on 1069 to the 5.

[​IMG]

The road so far is about as good as it gets for dirt/gravel travel. No sand anywhere, no washboard, simple wide well groomed off road travel, lots of ranchers out here using some of these roads so they haul ass up and down these roads, we kept a nice 40ish mph pace with RedRockRider setting the tempo on his mighty TW.

The Mt. Trumbull School has quite the history dating back to 1918, then restored in '94, arsonists' torched it in 2000 and re-opened in '01. https://wchsutah.org/az-strip/mt-trumbull-school.php

[​IMG]

The interior is in surprisingly wonderful shape, it did look like visitor's have left some personal items or donated to the building, I'll have to remember that next time also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We caught our 'little Mr. Imu' reliving his past, pretty common I recall him saying,

[​IMG]

Just across the road from the school, I didn't realize the Bar 10 Ranch is so close, add that to the 'next time' column.

[​IMG]

These dudes are raring to go, waiting for me while I look around & click away,

[​IMG]
  12. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Selfies are so old school, wait till you see my dronies. Soon!
    Here is the selfie I took, then I thought I should edit myself out and take a screen shot.
    [​IMG]
  13. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KEEP GOING........
    sealsam likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    In... :lurk
    sealsam likes this.
  15. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Looks like your avatar pic is over here in my neck of the woods. Glad to have you looking in.

[​IMG]
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  16. sealsam

Oddometer:
    It won't be overly epic Rudy, especially compared to your latest ride, but this being my 3rd trip to Toroweap, it is quite incredible. Being with a couple very close friends makes it just all the better.

Gald to have you along Rudy.
  17. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Always glad to follow along... plus I can gather some intel...
    sealsam likes this.
  18. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Not a whole lot to post up just yet, too much work over the weekend to get all the photo's loaded, sorry folks.

This next section is the 18 mile route from the school house to the 5 & 115 intersection. At this point the topography changes as we gain elevation, and it gets a bit cooler too, which is nice! We are now boardering and entering the Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument. Elevations around us in this area are at 8000', lots of crushed lava in the area, quite a welcome change as Imu and I continue to follow RRR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did want to post this shot to show a sample of the fantastic signage that is now out along this route, wish I would have had this on my first ride back in '89. Also shows the very nicely groomed dirt roads out here.

[​IMG]

RedRockRider leading the way. He kicks ass on that little 199 thumper, nearly 10,000 miles on that little burro all from that beautiful UT & AZ dirt, just one of many of his bikes. When I asked him why this bike on this ride, "It was the easiest to pull out of the garage." :thumb

[​IMG]

These couple of shots just capture some of the terrain when crossing the Mt. Trumbull area, lots of forest which I did not remember from 30 years ago, when my wife and I drove to Toroweap in her Jeep a few years ago we did to & from Colo City, so we never got over to Mt. Trumbull.

[​IMG]

RRR & Imu tired of waiting for me,

[​IMG]

Next posting we'll be turning south on the 115 toward the overlook, the good stuff is coming!

@RedRockRider & @simbaboy framing up of whats coming,

[​IMG]
  19. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    I tried to PM you about the picture I hi jacked to Rudy's page. It was the rock formation that looks like an eagle to me. It is just east of Warner springs, I heard you have a place in Borrego, my winter home. PM me if you want more info. thanks, Steve
    black 8 and sealsam like this.
  20. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve,

Never received a pm, but take and share, no problem, but please raise your standards if you're using my shit.:D

Good intel on the 'eagle' rock, I've heard of that, and since I'm through Warner Springs all the time, I'll have to get that checked out one day. There is also a 'potato' chip rock near Ramona that I've wanted to check out also, someday I guess.

Yeah gotta a little dive in Borr, picked it up last June, it's been a work in progress for a while. When you're back next winter maybe you could show me around, I've seen you posts', you've explored the area quite well and I could learn a thing or two.