I know why they call them Deathwings now

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by parannoyed, Mar 30, 2019.

1. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock tires for the WR250R were TW41 and TW42, and they were better than any other tire for the bike I tried from Shinko or Kenda, on roads paved and gravel.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I bought a WR250r last Jan and it came with the dreaded "Deathwings". I figured I'd be pulling them off the second I had a spare moment. After my first time offroad with them I was fairly surprised. They weren't great but at least they were predictable.

Compared to my experience with TKC 80s (which many people rave about), the Trailwings were downright good. I wouldn't recommend either as a purchase but I would replace TKCs immediately. I rode the Deathwings until they were toast.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The person who coined the term "Deathwings" probably never owned a tire pressure gauge. When riding knobbies on wet pavement or off-road, try lowering the PSI. Tire opinions and what each of us want/ expect are as different as riding styles. However, experimenting w/ PSI is fun and FREE
    Woodchip Rookie and Ginger Beard like this.
  4. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have tw41/42 (dr650 stockers) on my r100gs. They do a great job on hard pack, gravel, and light sand. I run em at ~20psi and I think they do a great job. I wouldn’t run em in the mud, but that’s not what they are made for.
  5. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the GMC Motorhome forum I'm on, there are horror stories about aged out tires. Best one is hitting the brakes hard, and having belts separate on all the tires. A slow, carful, uneven drive to the tire shop follows ;-)
  6. derekv

derekv n00b

Oddometer:
    Read up on Paul Walker’s fatal crash. Tires have a life limit. Not just tread.

Derek V
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  7. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're talking about riding motorcycles, right???
  8. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several years ago, a Tucson Ducati rider had new tires spooned on at local dealer. Rider rode out onto busy city street and grabbed a handfull of throttle and high sided into traffic.

Died.
  9. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I run the Shinko 705 on the rear, but a moderate knobby on the front. The 705 front is not something I trust with sections of mud.
  10. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    As my mom would have asked, “but how do they do on ice?”
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  11. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this post is a few weeks old but I want to circle back around to this. Would this really matter in mud? I would think I'm that situation it is all about the lugs on the tires. I could see it applying to hard surfaces but I can't see it would make a difference in soft squishy mud.

Obviously I am just musing this one point as the tires definitely need to be replaced regardless of if they are OK in mud.
  12. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quote" I didn't buy into the Deathwing legend myself, till I experienced the low sides firsthand."

I had the same experience with the stock death wings on my new DR650, and a used XT350 I bought some years back. Like greased banana peels on anything but pavement.

Sporting Shinko 244's now. Much better.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  13. Woodchip Rookie

Woodchip Rookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My shinko 244 front and deathwing rear on my TW are BOTH worthless off road. At STREET pressure. I aired down to 4psi in the mud/trails and the TW was unstoppable.
  14. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This made me laugh. There is a short 1 km section on a common run I take, that when its wet everyone flops around like a fish out of water, regardless of skill set, bike, tire set up. Cheers.
    Bar None likes this.
  15. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Deathwings indeed, what a load of shit
  16. Ro Sco

Ro Sco n00b

Oddometer:
    Five year old tires, begin thinking of changing. Seven year old tires need to be changed. Tires over ten tears old, that's what killed actor Paul Walker.
  17. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had no issue with my Trailwings. I haven't bought them since they went bald, but that's because I went with more of a street tire on my Strom. I really never understood the bad rap on the Trailwings.
  18. flexfoot

flexfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had no issue with my Trailwings. I haven't bought them since they went bald, but that's because I went with more of a street tire on my Strom. I really never understood the bad rap on the Trailwings.[/QUOTE]

I am with you 110%.

Steve
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    There are different versions, the TW front tire is not very good street or dirt.
    Not much tread and a poor design, its loud and vibrates on the street.

Most dual sport tires are not great in the dirt, but many stock tires on dual sports are very poor.
    My XT250 came with low profile tires, just what you want for the dirt!
    The back was not bad but the front was narrow and not much tread.
    A friend has a new klx250 and its tires seem quite good.

If you look up trailwings, a lot of models come up...
  20. Haldor

Haldor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been cautioned multiple times when I bought new tires to take it easy until the tires scrub in. That Ducati rider was engaging in stupid or ignorant behavior.
    Carmackle likes this.