I know why they call them Deathwings now

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by parannoyed, Mar 30, 2019.

1. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock tires for the WR250R were TW41 and TW42, and they were better than any other tire for the bike I tried from Shinko or Kenda, on roads paved and gravel.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    I bought a WR250r last Jan and it came with the dreaded "Deathwings". I figured I'd be pulling them off the second I had a spare moment. After my first time offroad with them I was fairly surprised. They weren't great but at least they were predictable.

Compared to my experience with TKC 80s (which many people rave about), the Trailwings were downright good. I wouldn't recommend either as a purchase but I would replace TKCs immediately. I rode the Deathwings until they were toast.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The person who coined the term "Deathwings" probably never owned a tire pressure gauge. When riding knobbies on wet pavement or off-road, try lowering the PSI. Tire opinions and what each of us want/ expect are as different as riding styles. However, experimenting w/ PSI is fun and FREE
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have tw41/42 (dr650 stockers) on my r100gs. They do a great job on hard pack, gravel, and light sand. I run em at ~20psi and I think they do a great job. I wouldn’t run em in the mud, but that’s not what they are made for.
  5. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the GMC Motorhome forum I'm on, there are horror stories about aged out tires. Best one is hitting the brakes hard, and having belts separate on all the tires. A slow, carful, uneven drive to the tire shop follows ;-)
  6. derekv

derekv n00b

Oddometer:
    Read up on Paul Walker’s fatal crash. Tires have a life limit. Not just tread.

Derek V
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  7. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're talking about riding motorcycles, right???
  8. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several years ago, a Tucson Ducati rider had new tires spooned on at local dealer. Rider rode out onto busy city street and grabbed a handfull of throttle and high sided into traffic.

Died.
  9. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I run the Shinko 705 on the rear, but a moderate knobby on the front. The 705 front is not something I trust with sections of mud.
  10. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    As my mom would have asked, “but how do they do on ice?”
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  11. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this post is a few weeks old but I want to circle back around to this. Would this really matter in mud? I would think I'm that situation it is all about the lugs on the tires. I could see it applying to hard surfaces but I can't see it would make a difference in soft squishy mud.

Obviously I am just musing this one point as the tires definitely need to be replaced regardless of if they are OK in mud.