I know why they call them Deathwings now

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by parannoyed, Mar 30, 2019.

1. zig06

zig06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, if anyone has a gently used free deathwing that would fit the back of my DR650 just let me know. I'd feel terrible letting you ride around on an inferior tire that could have safety concerns, I'll even promise to abuse it and treat it like any other tire that I've ever owned.

In other words, these tires are perfectly safe as long as you admit that they have design limits. On asphalt and gravel roads they're as good as any other 80/20 tire, riding in deep sand or mud without due caution is on you.
  2. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got one of those if ya want it.
  3. mors30001

mors30001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just swapped out my second TW52 of the season for a D605 Not sure on the 605 but I did try to spin tire and ended up doing a 180 pivot turn on my XR650L so it seems to work. I had no issues with the Stock TW52 it woudl chug through mud upto the cases and above without issue and I love riding the rocky new engalnd single track. Nothing works well on all surfaces but they seemed pretty good for a 50 50 tire. 7000mi on TW52's this year BTW the 606 is an 80/20 tire I suspect lugs will fly off If I use them maybe the next set
  4. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    I rode OEM Battlewings on a new Caponord and they were fine. A lot has to do with tire size as well. They almost never broke loose (except on wet patched of leaves , painted arrows in the rain and such). I like them OK - until - they got loud. I mean they screamed when they were at 30% of life. I stopped several times over Tehachapi as I was sure I there was an issue - nope, and well yes. Buy them for replacements, no. Trust them as new tires, sure.
  5. RuffStuff

RuffStuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive had deathwings 3 times in my life and theyre god awful hoops, the last set would try to launch me if i touched the brakes. (dt50mx, klr 250, xt600e)
    ive got some mitas e07s on my pegaso now and i cant fault them, the only time ive had an issue was the first day out on some submerged cobbles, theyve let me get away with messing up mid bend etc, i can highly recommend them.
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    I've got the newest iteration of the deathwings on my new WR250R and frankly, they are just fine. I rode River Road in Big Bend a week or so ago and never felt like they weren't doing what they needed to do in the deep sand and gravel, and I didn't even bother to air down.

John
    Snipified likes this.
  7. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They were OEM tires when I got my new DL650.
    IMHO, they worked reasonably well and I had no problems with them.
    I did not go off road or mudding with them as the DL is primarily a street bike.
    I did replace them when they wore out with Battle Wings.
    The BW's were nicer for sure and I still use them on my DL1000.
    To call the Trail Wing, Death Wings, did not reflect my experience with them.
    BTW, tires have a "best before" date, so change them out when necessary.
  8. 71Crummy

71Crummy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just bought my first DR650 and it came with a spare front wheel with a Deathwing mounted on it. I'm gonna replace the tires I have on the bike now with some Shinko 705's I see that Pro Cycle has tested these as a 75/25 tire and that is about where I'll be. Does anyone have any experience with these tires?
  9. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soft, wet and slippery is key, that is what held you hostage. Understandable. :thumb