I Love the Smell of 2-Stroke in the Morning-Long Weekend in the Desert

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by liv2day, Nov 22, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been meaning to get a report together for the last month and simply had too much $hit on my plate to actually craft some drivel.

Having failed miserably in my last dual-sport outing to the desert (read all about it here: The Big Empty Bites), some of the same crew headed to a great OHV area we have the pleasure of riding called China Hat or East Fort Rock outside of Bend OR. For the uninitiated, this playground consists of a ton of trails; mostly fast 2-track that you have to keep your head-up on as 2-way traffic can bite hard. The northern section can be whupped to hell, but has some gems. The southern section is where we generally like to ride - fantastic terrain with soil that makes riding close to your friends a blast.

Loaded the bike in the back of the truck with all the camp gear and enough wood for the first night, then bombed the ~4 hours east to hit the dispersed camp spot we agreed on. Having "saved" a couple vacations days from the Nevada fiasco previously mentioned, I decided to head over myself for the first day/night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With camp setup and plenty of light left, I headed out for a quick solo rip. Of course, one of my buddies said to be careful in a text, which ensured I'd eat $hit at some point during my ride. Yep, tasted the trail.

Note auger marks beyond bike, actually high-sided after over-correcting. Hit my knee so hard on the handlebars that it left me with a orange-sized hematoma above my knee. Stupid hurts.

[​IMG]

Spent 20 minutes or so kicking the hell out of the bike trying to get her fired up again. Had to roll her down a hill and bump start it. Licked my wounds and slowly rode back to camp. It was getting chilly, so I got the fire going and kicked back with beer, grub, and then whisky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take every opportunity to use my adjustaforks from @Joe Motocross, these things are killer for cooking over the fire/coals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a bunch of advil and crawled into my sleeping bag. Great day - wasn't working, smelled like 2-stroke exhaust, a bit buzzed from beer and whisky, and a full belly of properly cooked grub.

Here's a short vid I threw together from all four days being out there.

2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Looks like a text book first day. Stupid hurts. Yup, I know that.
    liv2day likes this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Holy shit Liv, great video! Nice trails, lots of good action, great helmet and drone footage. Very cool. Looks like good terrain also.
    liv2day likes this.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Joe Motocross, appreciate it man! One of these days, I'm going to haul my sorry arse out to your neck of the woods with my drone and helmet cam. Won't be rolling ADV-F, but hope to capture some of the incredible scenery I've envied in your reports.

Have more video to sort through, there's a section of ~10 minutes where I'm chasing two of my buds and we're just ripping through the twisty stuff - seriously fun time. Have some faster stuff that was hella fun too. Oh, and plenty of pictures from the few days following my first day of being stupid solo...lol.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    About time I put another day together. Licking my wounds from the previous days' idiocy and knowing a couple of the guys were a few hours out; I made some coffee, threw the chainsaw in the truck, and headed out in search for some downfall to cut.

Found a good spot and cut a bunch of rounds, hauled 'em back to the truck while the guys setup their camper and came to help with the few rounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We touched base with the other guys coming and decided to head out for a rip as they wouldn't be to camp until later in the afternoon.

[​IMG]

I'm so happy to have my picture taken :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful day in the Oregon desert.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only knocked out about 45 miles, but decided to head back to camp as one of the guys should be rolling in shortly. We were thinking about heading out for another short rip, but the temps were dropping and the beer started flowing. So we started the fire and decided to just kick back and enjoy the evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparently, 45 miles takes it out of you :lol3 :rofl

[​IMG]

Mmm...apple pie.

[​IMG]

Brought out the adjustaforks and started cooking the evening's feast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoyed the chow and then kicked back around the fire. If memory serves, the temps were supposed to dip into the low or mid-20s for the night. So the fire was hot and we ended up burning nearly all of the rounds cut the day before - would be hunting for more wood the next day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will make time to get a video sorted from the day's ride, some good stuff from ripping around there :D :D
    Suncoaster likes this.
  6. thor63

thor63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AdjustaForks and camp chairs in the same report...… could anger the Gods.
    snglfin and liv2day like this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

Might get special dispensation on this, not an ADV ride (not that it’d matter as I pack a chair on those...shhh), but this was riding from base camp, hence all the amenities :-).
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Here’s a short clip from the first day of riding with the guys.

9. thor63

thor63 Adventurer

Oddometer:

And I have seen pics of a certain some-one in a camp chair at base camp. Looks like a great time had by all.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    The temps did indeed find their way down to the low 20s over night, it was f*ckin' cold in my tent and my brilliant idea of using my nice down bag I take for camp-off-the-bike trips as a blanket over my car-camping bag (rated at 20 degrees) didn't quite work as well as I'd hoped. Yes, I know the 20-degree rating is survival and not comfort. Only after I heard the crackle of a fire already going did I extricate my sorry arse from the sleeping bag and get as many clothes on as I could.

If only I had that timed, automatic coffee maker in camp, my poor coffee cup wouldn't look like such a wreck.

[​IMG]

Proof that drinking first thing in the morning is A-OK when you're camping and riding...shot glass isn't frozen at all :lol3

[​IMG]

You know what happens when you find a great deal on a trail-weight tent on close-out...it might not come with a rain fly. Which is usually fine in the summer months, but can be tough when it's in the low 20s over night :rofl

[​IMG]

We screwed around eating breakfast and waiting for our final maroon to arrive, then also noticed the front was flat on one of the orange bikes. This was the same flat front that had happened on the previous days' ride and the bike has tubliss. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

Even though I get no end of $hit for riding a quality Spanish bike, I decided to help the poor orange rider find the puncture. Damn thing was tiny, looked more like a scuff on the rubber than anything else. Got it plugged and we were all ready to head out in relatively short order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The loose plan for the day was to head south and hit some of the killer terrain that way. We'd loop back to camp and refill with fuel and head back out for another loop. Guess what - didn't make it back with enough time for that 2nd loop. But more on that in a bit.

We had a good time ripping along some of the fast sections only to realize our group of 5 had suddenly become 2. Umm, wonder where the other yahoos turned the wrong direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick check of the map and we figured they'd be catching up with us in short order, they were leading and actually missed the turn - were too far ahead for me to notice when we made the right turn...lol. At least it provided a good photo op spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, I'm planning a picnic with my checkerboard towel.
    [​IMG]

Regrouped and proceeded to have a fantastic rip through killer terrain. So much so that I rarely stopped to take pictures - was having far too much fun. All was going perfectly until I decided to pass my buddy on the X-Trainer and open the GG up. Was in 5th gear having a serious blast winding her out when I hit a damn rock in the middle of he trail and instantly flatted the front.

Let me tell you, things get exciting when she gets tank-slapper friendly in loose-ish sand/soil at that speed. Couldn't slam on the rear brake and have her start fish-tailing on my either, so I slowed as fast as possible and pulled off the trail. Buddy on the X-Trainer pulls up wondering what the hell I'm doing and I point down to my front...oh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rather than screw with patching the tube, I decided to throw my spare 21" in so we could get going quicker.

Let me tell you how that turned out.

It didn't.

Had the spare tube in and tire back on the bead in pretty short order. Inflated the tube with a CO2 and she held for a few seconds, then went flat. Insert Q-bert language. Stoopid pinch flat with a tire iron. Yank the new tube back out, pull the patch kit out, and find the hole. Wasn't too tough, at least I did a good job of pinching the tube :baldy

Patched the tube and filled her up. Seemed to be holding air no problem, so back in the tire.

Murphy's a bastard.

Damn thing was flat again. Pulled the tube back out, pulled the overly hasty applied patch off and applied a new patch. When the instructions recommend waiting for the rubber cement to be mostly dry, don't think they're being conservative.

Failed patch still on the tube.
    [​IMG]

New happy patch on the tube.
    [​IMG]

At this point, my being an idiot had wasted more than an hour and it was getting colder. We decided to head north back to camp. I'm glad we did as we hit a section of trail that was BY FAR the most fun of the entire trip. I lined up behind my buddy on the KTM 350 and other buddy on the KTM 300 and we hauled tail through one of the best sections of trail in the area. Actually ran my GoPro for the entire rip and will have a hard time cutting sections out it was so fun.

It did start to snow on us on the ride back, more like a hail snow and not flaky crap. I stopped to get a shot of it coming down and didn't, but did manage to get a couple of the 'snails' on my pants (they're the white things if you're not sure...lol).

[​IMG]

Made it back to camp and started the fire and grub cookin'. Tonight's feast would be combination of griddle cooked goodness and flesh off the adjustaforks - carne asada.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, 45 miles does indeed take it out of you...lol.
    [​IMG]

Enjoyed a great fire, too much whisky and beer, and eventually crawled into my sleeping bag.

[​IMG]
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Short vid from the day's ride, should have found a longer song as the section of trail we blitzed through toward the end of the day was fantastic.

Word of caution - the lyrics in the song are NSFW - put headphones in if listening at work or with others around.

weldpro likes this.