I Love Volvos...I cannot lie

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by STBNE, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Silly Euros! Don't they know they need a 1-ton dually to haul that?!

edited to add: saw an 850R sedan the other day. :tb

M
    Oldenuftaknowbetter likes this.
  2. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    RHD vehicles on that road indicate he's in their slow lane. He might still be ignorant and an asshole but he appears to be a law abiding one.

And maybe extra rear doors over there equals extra rear wheels here.
    Oldenuftaknowbetter likes this.
  4. Bun-bun

Bun-bun Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I’m seeing the prices that decent old Volvos are going for with a bit of shock. I paid $400 for my ‘94 940 turbo about three years ago and it’s been a reliable daily driver once I replaced the motor and transmission mounts, timing belt and front seals and gave it a tune up. The ‘02 V70 T5M I bought this past April and it’s replaced the 940 as my DD. I had to do the timing belt and seals on it, and I still need a sway sensor for the DSTC, but I only paid $1200 for it.
    upload_2019-10-13_22-38-35.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-13_22-39-55.jpeg
  5. law1200

law1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I my also like and own Volvo's. My first was a was a 1999 V70 I bought for my wife. We had very minor problems with it and only sold it to get something bigger. We bought a XC90 a bought 4 yrs ago and have had no problem with it.
    I currently own 2 XC90 a 1999 S70 T5M tuned for over 300+hp a 1999 S80 and a 1991 740 turbo wagon.

I do all the wrenching on these cars and have learned one thing about them and that is the maintenance must be done when Volvo says to do it.
    My 1999 S70 has 256k on it and still has the original clutch. The S80 has over 200k and still runs great. One of the XC90's is a 05 with 200k and the other is a 06 with a 160k.

Now I bought the S70 and the 05 XC90 from wholesale dealers but others I bought from people that didn't do the maintenance and the vehicle stopped running.
    The 06 XC90 I paid $500.00 for because every valve in the head was bent due to a seized water pump. $550.00 in cylinder head machining and 500.00 for timing belt kite and crankcase ventilation parts.
    The S80 had a leaking heater core and a electrical short in the body control module. Pay $600.00 for the car. $60.00 heater core and $40.00 for a junkyard fuse box.
    1991 740 was driven with a bad T-stat and ran so hot the cylinder head had to be line bored the straighten it. I paid $300.00 for the car. 350.00 in machining the head and 200.00 in other parts.
    All of these cars have almost the same maintenance requirements and that is timing belt and crankcase ventilation system, a lot of people over look the engine crankcase ventilation system and the system should checked and or replaced every 125K. 20150117_163759.jpg 20150105_151801.jpg
    AtlantaViking, SlipChip and STBNE like this.
  6. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    It happened three days ago to my '07 Volvo V70 2.5T FWD:

IMG_2483.jpeg

Earlier photo from this thread:
    [​IMG]
    larryboy, TwoBigCats, STBNE and 2 others like this.
  7. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Saw a 240GL sedan on the road the other day.

Hmmm one of those and a 5-liter and it'd be a killer Q ship

M
  8. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    A guy driving a 245 wagon with small block Ford in Blacksburg VA many years ago did a nice burnout on request.
  9. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
  10. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    They didn't accept my TDM for auction. While not the most valuable bike, it is an interesting bike that was ahead of its time and one of the cleanest in the US. Yet they will accept almost any UJM and every BMW GS or Ducati.
    rixcafe and STBNE like this.
  11. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that..i guess we'll find out soon enough..I have a 1980 XS650 that has been concours quality restored..
  12. Butters

Oddometer:
    Let's hope since it is restored, some yokel doesn't cafe it. If you post a pic in this Volvo thread I won't complain!
    STBNE likes this.
  13. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    Its my thread..i can do whateever i like...here ya go..last week in Western NC...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SunshineTom and rixcafe like this.
  14. Butters

Oddometer:
    BAT is definitely the place for that bike! :bow
    STBNE likes this.
  15. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    Actually I will make this available to the folks on the XS650 forum first..That is where i found it..For what I expect tto get for it..anyone wanting to cafe' it will have to pay a premium for it..Most folks wont do that to a high priced bike..but rather a cheapo beater...most of the time...
    paid $3000 for it and you cannot build...rebuild this bike for that money..
  16. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    Thanks..I am just looking to break even..but in an auction things can go crazy with the bidders. i will place a reserve of $3000 just so i dont lose anything....
  17. Butters

Oddometer:
    That was my thinking about my bike on BAT. I would likely never get out of it what I put in, which was fine because it really is an incredible bike and I don't regret a single penny spent. But on BAT, you might actually get a couple people with an appreciation for what goes into a build and get somebody willing to pay to have a really nice XX year old bike. At the very least, it would likely go to somebody appreciative of the bike.

I will have to keep a lookout for it as I regularly peruse BAT.
  18. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    I wont list it until march or April next year..i am still paying it off but i have come to the conclusion that i really want a modern bike that i can ride everyday..This one..is great but I cant ride it everyday...
  19. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't ride it every day?? I used to ride a Meguro every day, 120.000 miles worth. Of course in those days, it was a revelation to have Japanese reliability with british character. But I do know what you mean. It'd be a shame to not preserve that beauty in present condition.
    BaT seems to have an odd set of criteria; plenty of airheads and lots of barn find Japanese UJMs remarkably well preserved get accepted. Yet a TDM850 isn't rare or quirky enough? Looks like your 650 should be close enough to perfect to get accepted; but what do I know?
    STBNE likes this.
  20. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    I could ride it everyday..but I dont want the mileage to accumulate.
    These bikes require constant maintenance
    and I am not a mechanic...nor have I the skills or patience to keep it in proper tune.