1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I Love Volvos...I cannot lie

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by STBNE, Aug 30, 2018.

1. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    You should advertise it as a barn find..I'd be willing to bet the BAT would accept it that way..but it is kinda fucked up that they wouldnt accept it in the 1st place...
    Butters likes this.
  2. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I've got a question for the Volvo aficionados here who perform their own wrenching on modern era cars: Do you need any special PC tools to access these car's computer's? I ask because for both my Mini and my Land Rover I had to get some non-oem programs to dig a little deeper into their systems beyond the OBDII codes. I'd really like buying a maintenance required volvo but I'm concerned about that computer part because it's such a PITA with the other Euro brands.
  3. Chad M

Chad M A full head of air.

Oddometer:
    Volvo VIDA if you're playing with the newer stuff.
    Ducky 149 and AtlantaViking like this.
  4. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
  5. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
  6. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
  7. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
  8. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    hpsVFR likes this.
  9. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both have the PRV engine though.
  10. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    So what? I have these engines and they're just about bulletproof...My Gold car has 275000 miles and still runs smooth and trouble free...These are Volvos flagship models for those years...Porsche Renault Volvo engines are damn good.....BFD...:deal
    BTW stop trolling my thread....
  11. law1200

law1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree Volvo makes a dam good engine.
    The 91 740 I bought with the blown head gasket, due to a t-stat failure and dum driver still had the cross hatching in the cylinder walls and doesn't use any oil.
    My 1999 T5 still runs very strong but I will be pulling the head off to replace the valve guides and reseat the valves to reduce the oil consumption.
    The valve guides are a common problem with the earlier 5 and 6 cylinder turbo engine. I only had to replace the valve stem seal on my naturally aspirated V70 that had a 190k on it when I sold it.
    STBNE likes this.
  12. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience with a 2002 xc was good not great. I put a lot of parts into that car. My Toyota’s don’t need anything with the same miles. Volvo seats are the best. Having troubles getting the p1800 on the road. I love Volvo’s but there is way more work in them than triumph and bmw old in my experience.
  13. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    2001 -2003 Volvos especially the XC70s' were not good cars...My Volvo guy always warns me not to buy those years.. agree they are not the best to maintain and the fixes were expensive..In the case of those AWD systems... they were not good units and replacing the rear driveshafts were costly and didnt fix the problems and they would re-occur even after expensive parts replacement..Alot of XC70s owners just disconnected the rear drive shafts .. Essentially these became FWD cars with AWD badges...A Subaru Outback from those years had superior AWD systems and were 2/3rds cheaper to buy...
    The Volvos I love the most are all the RWD cars but they stopped production of RWD in 1998..That is why I have only RWD cars..They are quite reliable and damn near bulletproof...From 2004 and up the XC's were much better..but I cannot speak from experiences here...My only FWD car was my 1996 850 T5 wagon..It was 5cyl engine transverse mounted...Inherently less reliable and more expensive to maintain than any of the rear wheel drivers...Yes it had awesome seats and I could drive it all day long without any fatique. Conversely my 960 seats are not as comfortable by a long shot...
  14. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
  15. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
  16. hpsVFR

hpsVFR Hoosier Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Volvo updated the transmission mid-2003, to resolve issues, and updates the Haldex AWD around the same time (the ‘04 literature notes/brags about the update). My 04 models have been reliable and comfortable (a requirement, given I drive 30-40k miles a year).

These days I’m dreaming of an Ocean Race edition. That blue color!
    STBNE likes this.
  17. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Good morning all, need to bump this thread for some diagnostic help. The xc90 v8 has been serving my stepdaughter well getting her back and forth to college. This past weekend though it would crank but would not start. No pressure at the fuel rail Schrader valve. I have seen a lot of talk about the fuel rail pressure sensor, and I was curious if it’s bad will it cause a no start? How can I test it? Thanks in advance.
  18. law1200

law1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will need a good scan tool most of us own what the dealer uses are at least the Chinese knock off Vida Dice
  19. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
  20. STBNE

STBNE Yamaha Guru

Oddometer:
    Thats a great testament to Volvo reliability and endurance..even when thoroughly abused and neglected...Unfortunately today..many young people are totally clueless about the care they need to give their cars....They just get another one after the one they have breaks down...preventative maintenence is not a concept they were taught to appreciate...