]I)Money update

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by ]I)Money, Aug 3, 2007.

1. klrzorn

klrzorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell im it's a new unit crest. Uh SIR!
  2. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    Nice! Glad I could help pimp yer tank! :clap

have fun, take care.
  3. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    First off, thanks to all you FF's for your thoughts and support. Means a lot to me.

I miss my son.
    [​IMG]
    A lot. I miss riding. also a lot, but not as much. Aside from that, the truth is that being a Platoon Leader of a combat engineer platoon in theater is a pretty friggin good job. Doing good work, with guys who are great at their jobs...and regardless of what the spinmasters will try to tell you, we seem to be winning this thing. So much so, that we're bored, and we are the guys least likely to be bored, because of what we do.
    The past few weeks, things have been slooooow. Slow is good. People are smiling and waving more as we go past. Not everyone, but it's like a whole different city. Not only that, but the whole atmosphere is changed. People are cleaning up the trash in their neighborhoods; sweeping the streets; hauling off years of accumulated rubble. I make a point not to post operational details, because bad guys use the internet too, but here's a story which is pretty funny, and harmless:
    We (the various platoons in the company) were trading off running a route through a REALLY bad part of town. You've all heard of it. We all had found a bunch of stuff up and down that strip of road, and some of the stuff had found us, too, so every time you went there, you were pretty focused. One of the last times I was there, I had noticed that it seemed like there was suddenly a lot of improvements being made: new curbs, some new pavement, etc. One of the other platoons didn't get the memo, and was running the street in the middle of the night. They cruise past a strip of median, and: "holy crap, there's a whole line of buried ieds!" They call in the explosives guys, and they place their charges, and BOOM!
    They finish the route, go home, and write up their report. big heroes, found a bunch of bombs, yadda, yadda.
    The next time I'm up there, I cruise through, and: "hey, somebody blew up all those new saplings they just planted in the median."
    So much for that.
    In the interest of trying to keep this all at least a little motorcycle related, heres a couple of shots of Iraqi bikes. the first is a police bike. They have some Yamahas too, but haven't been able to get a decent shot of one yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not nearly as many bikes as I thought I would see. tons of scooters, though:puke1
    I don't get to ride, but at least I do get to do the occassional water crossing:
    [​IMG]
    That picture doesn't do it justice: I waited until we were nearly through to shoot it:eek1 . That is a paved city street, btw. Water main break up ahead.
    And finally, just because it made me go "holy shit!", here's one from today, I leave the caption up to the reader's imagination:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, they are in the trunk. Yes, the car is moving...
    finally, anybody wanna buy an 05 GS? I'm apparrently buying a new bike when I get back:deal
  4. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    Always good to hear positive news from over there.
    Thanks for the update. Stay safe.

What are you replacing the GSWombat with?
  5. ]I)Money

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  7. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    Going to be a long

long

long

long

long

line for those. Went by the BMW shop in Little Rock this weekend. They've SOLD five already. They don't even start shipping till Feb/March.
  8. kthpick

kthpick super mario

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you CJ nice replacement bike.Do they sell those over here yet?I hope all you guys had a good Thanksgiving over there,and I would like to wish everbody an early Merry Christmas.
  9. ]I)Money

Oddometer:
    I
    am
    in
    line
    already.
    #3.:deal
  10. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Thank you for being a beta testor. :D That bike is what I've wanted for a long time. I think. I haven't seen one yet, but if it is as hyped, yes, that's the one. I bought a Versys in August, so I may be changing it to work like that, instead.

Thanks for the update and pics. Thanks for doing it, too. :thumb
  11. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    I'm in line also! but, bein's I work at the shop, I'm sure to be bumped till next Nov. :cry It's all understood. :deal Still, It's only a matter of time. :ricky
  12. ]I)Money

Oddometer:
    Some of you have heard, but for those who haven't, I lost a soldier last week. KMOV did a very nice interview with his family:

http://www.kmov.com/localnews/stories/kmov_justpost_080204_soldier.8d93a157.html

Yesterday, the day after the memorial service for SGT Straughter, we lost another soldier in the Company.

If you're inclined, I'd ask that you say a prayer for the families of these two fine men.
  13. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Tough deal. Thoughts are with you guys. One would like to think this stuff wouldn't happen . . . but it does. Take care.
  14. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    C.J., I'm sorry.
  15. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that CJ - Prayers sent....
    Take care of yourself.
  16. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry man:cry

We're gonna miss having you this weekend.

[​IMG]
  17. 2whelman

2whelman addict

Oddometer:
    All of you guys are in my thoughts each day. It always makes it very real when it's somebody you're working with. :cry

Be carefull over there.
  18. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just read your post. If you would send me, via PM, a list of things I could send you and perhaps any magazine requests, it would be my pleasure to send you a care package. If you all like Girl Scout cookies, there might still be a chance I can snag you some.

Thank you so much for being such a great guy and doing the job you are doing. We all really appreciate your efforts and those of all the troops.

Horatio
  19. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    Damn CJ,

Sorry to hear it. How are "YOU" holding up? It must be unbelievable to loose someone you went over there with. Prayers sent for families and YOU.

Gordon
  20. klrzorn

klrzorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prayers to all of you CJ. I pray for you guys everyday.
    Hang in there Buddy.