I must be getting old

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Spanky McKanky, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    I called into the local BMW dealer last Saturday and checked out one of the 1200 GS's they're currently knocking 3.5 gorillas off in preparation for the release of the new GS.
    Well spank me..... the "salesperson" showed me all the latest electrickery, GPS'ery, and suspension that can do its thing 300 times a second without you even knowing.
    Boy it makes my old 1100 GS look simply prehistoric.
    Tell me, why do I/we need a bike to have a gadget that becomes a calculator, a metric to imperial converter, plays music, orders your pizza, allows you to receive phone calls from far away call centres at dinner time, and has the ability to inject air into your inflatable companion.
    Sorry, made that last bit up.......
    Looks like I'm staying with my old 1100 as I haven't got the brain power to use all that technology.
  2. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Them gadgets sure get expensive when they stop working.:nod

I'm a fan of the KISS principle m'self.:queenie I hate the ABS on my 1150GS for chickening out way before I do - bloody killjoy stuff.

And that's the trouble with all this gadgetry - it's soft. :toneyEvery time I see some wank gadget I just wanna turn into Steve Foxx from Double The Fist and wage a war on weakness.:chace
    flinders_72 likes this.
  3. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Then that makes my R100GSPD pre prehistoric :gerg:gerg
  4. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Give BMW Germany a call on your mobile and ask them why they had to improve everything all of a sudden - bastards. :lol3

[​IMG]
  5. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I see the plastic surgery is progressing well nev, when do they attach your left ear?
    nevgriff64, Boxa and dirtsurfer like this.
  6. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    I would have thought it's pretty obvious. :hmmmmm

It's so you can put the plebs who ride last year's model in their place and show them that you're one step higher on the socio-economic ladder than they are. :lol3
    OzRider64, zuma, flinders_72 and 2 others like this.
  7. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

Mate.. I am an old fart.. bought one and once I learned to drive all of that black magic stuff..... I just love it!

If only the back wheels were good....
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  8. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    I need to pull the manual out to remind myself how to change the time and traction control on my 2017 strom, I would just get frustrated with too much crap.
  9. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    When i hear the word "mode" in conversation regarding a bike, i rapidly lose interest.:*sip*
    Precis likes this.
  10. Leonard Teale

Leonard Teale Don't worry Be happy

Oddometer:
    i nearly run up the butt of a mate out on the highway

i was playing puters and watching the dash and my mate was leading the way, he slowed suddenly for what turned out to be peacocks on the road , not to mention the car partly blocking the lane as the occupants were out pointing their phone cameras at said peacocks
    thank feck i looked up in time to miss the danger and praise the lord for brembos with abs
    Happy Snapper likes this.
  11. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Struth that could have been very messy.
    Imagine trying to remove your two wheeled pride and joy from your mate's clacker... ewww :(
  12. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After that, I reckon I'd be okay with him keeping it.
  13. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    Spanky,
    The 'lectronics can be as simple or as complex as you want to make them.
    You don't have to use all that "connectivity" shite on the dashboard, that doesn't effect you riding the bike like you always have.
    The real riding things - ABS, suspension etc - can be left in your common mode (sorry, vagueout - you may leave the room now...). But if you do learn a couple of simple things with the buttons on the left handlebar, you can change the bike in a few seconds to suit your riding conditions on the day. The everyday things like ride mode selection and suspension adjustment for load (pillion/luggage/none) are quick and simple and can be learnt by cyber-ancients in a few minutes.
    And when you've had the ABS and traction work for you a couple of times you'll love them pretty quick. I reckon the current ABS really deserves a different name to make a point of how far they've been developed over the years. They really are very effing good these days. There is none of that horrible feeling of the bike seeming to lurch forward when the ABS goes off, like my first 1200 did. With the current systems you get stoppage as quick as the road surface allows, simple and fuss free.

Don't be afraid of the techo stuff, the essentials can be learnt easily and the rest can be ignored.
    Being afraid of the price tag, even with 3.5 gorillas discounted, is fair and reasonable though!

Cheers
    Brian
    Richarde1605 and BygDaddee like this.
  14. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian,
    To be honest I'd be interested to ride a late model BM or any modern bike with the new generation ABS. Mainly to see the difference 23 years have made since my old 1100's ABS system was developed.
    I'm sure I'd be amazed, make that blown away with the difference.
    I remember nearly launching my 1100 into the abyss whilst riding down hill towards Talbotville on my way to the Dargo High Plains rally.
    The ABS decided to do its job and release the brakes just as I was way too close to the edge.
    Oh lordy, that certainly sharpened the senses.
    Just wondering what happens if the throw a new GS into the weeds in a big way or you drop it during a water crossing. All that electronic gadgetry would have to hate water or being choked with dust.
    I can hear the Service Manager now.... "ah Mr. Spanky, oh so sorry.... mucho expensivo to fix, you go see finance team, they fix you loan to pay for repair" gulp......
  15. Leonard Teale

Leonard Teale Don't worry Be happy

Oddometer:
    Why ? ......don't you have the 'button'

it is nice to turn off traction control
    and abs
    then put it in 'sports mode' .........lol

eyes wide open :ricky
  16. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually one of my bikes has switchable abs/traction, the "m" word doesn't get a mention, doesn't have a tacho, seat of the pants stuff!:lol3
  17. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Technology is your friend. Sometimes. :D