I need a new 3-season, waterproof, textile jacket...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Kevm, Oct 19, 2019.

1. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    I don't fit into typical Klim gear (too boxy), but I have their Kodiak jacket and pants and I absolutely love it. I upgraded from a Revit Sand 2 and wanted better protection and to get rid of the internal rain layers.

It's their only jacket that I know of that uses suit sizes (48-50-52 etc) instead of S-M-L-XL and actually fits quite well.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. Mordster

Mordster Wish I was riding, doesn't matter where to

Oddometer:
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had first gen Tourmaster,good budget/entry level jacket.
    I know they have made a number of improvements in the later generations.

JR356
  4. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know exactly what you are dealing with. I've had a Darien Light for about 10 years now. Probably as versatile as anything, and can't be beat for nasty weather! But still, when temps start pushing 90, with humidity to match, it just gets uncomfortable. Part of the problem is the lack of any kind of lining; I just don't care for the shell-against-skin. Last fall, my wife and I did a 10 day trip. I wore my Dariens, she has AD1 pants and an FG Kilimanjaro jacket. Most of the trip was fine, but on the return home, we hit mid-90s' for a couple of days, and it was just miserable. I actually wore my 'stich ProTek khakis (I carried them to have for casual wear) instead of the Darien pants but the jacket was my only option. So, this year, on an 8 day trip west, we really debated up to the last minute, but finally opted to wear our summer mesh (Olympia for both of us) and actually packed our 'stich pants! We had temps mostly in the mid-to-upper 90's almost the entire trip and were very happy to have the mesh gear. Yes, we hit rain for a couple of days and dealing with rain jackets was a real PITA (while wearing our 'stich pants!). But it was worth it considering the heat.

As for alternatives: last year I bought a FG Kathmandu (someone mentioned it earlier), and have found it to be a little more comfortable than my Darien in hot weather. It has a mesh inner lining that makes it more bearable against bare skin. I *almost* wore that on our trip but decided to just deal with mesh and raingear. For cooler and especially rainy weather, I still think the 'stich is a better option, but the FG is till pretty decent. I'm just concerned it will not hold up to the elements as well as the Darien over the long haul.

Before I bought the FG, I tried a Klim Latitude and the fit just wasn't right for me. Sleeves too long mostly and the pants just didn't fit right either. However, the Klim Carlsbad (both jacket and pants) seemed to fit just right! My only complaint is that it doesn't come in hi-viz colors, which I have decided is a must-have. Otherwise that is what I would have gone with instead of the FG.

All this to say that I'm still looking for that holy grail in gear! Nobody seems to have exactly what I'm looking for!
    Baldy and Kevm like this.
  5. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I am 99% there on buying a Latitude with red trim color.
  6. panfam007

panfam007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll pitch in the other 1%
    Baldy likes this.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I got the red one - so glad I waited till Revzilla had the Medium in stock! The red trim is almost 'hi-vis" in itself, and the gray is a darker gray that should resist showing stains. Love it!
    Baldy likes this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna pitch something totally different out there that's below the price point of a new Latitude: The Spidi Globetracker. I rode 900mi home in late July wearing mine generally in temps >90 about as comfortable as you can be, and have ridden in sleet bad enough it crusted the front completely dry - it's also the only laminated jacket I've felt comfortable in trying it on inside the house since it doesnt require positive pressure to vent moisture. Unlike Gore fabrics, it's not "crunchy" or stiff at all and feels like a totally broken in jacket from new. I also find that it doesn't fit too "euro", and aligns pretty much with Klim's US sizing except with far more adjust-ability for seasonal layering. Finally, the entire jacket is made of high denier nylon instead of just the impact areas, yet remains quite lightweight.

You can grab one on closeout from abroad for ~$550 right now, although you'll have to add a back pad (throwing a couple velcro tabs on an existing pad you have will work too).
    Peanut_Buttery, Baldy and Kevm like this.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Interesting - but kinda hard to check out "locally". I wonder if low stock is an indicator of the season and they'll be easier to find come spring?

https://www.motocard.com/en/jackets...Cw8nerXiXRSVY58WqoQrbxn7VXT-P0UsaAq57EALw_wcB

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...9EPVvbwEYmpbfvzCNM-6uqK58VDhLISUaAkt3EALw_wcB

https://www.motostorm.it/en/clothin...XGtagUuJ3Xb2UjHNzunPPGzTjiHX83FQaApUAEALw_wcB

Hmmmmmm kinda neat though. OOOOH, beware EU sizing too.... I'm probably at least a 2XL in that, I'd have to measure carefully. Exchanges would probably be a bitch.

HMMMMMMM, wonder if I could find/try one on when I'm in Italy next March?
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, they’ve ended the production run on them. I’m toying with the idea of buying a large again, and need to get on that before they’re all gone, haha.
  11. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Nutz.... they replacing it with anything?
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure! Spidi hasn’t seemed to have a ton of luck with their top end textile suits, although they also never marketed this one in the US. It’s too bad though, because they’re one of the few brands pushing different materials.
  13. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    www.motoport.com nothing better in IMO. can add and remove layers as conditions change. many times I just use the high air flowing shell with just a fleece jacket, and remove the fleece when higher temps warrant.

we live in same area if u want to checkout my motoport gear.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/motoport-or-klim-which-would-you-rather-crash-in.1240438/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/crash-tested-motoport-ultra-ii.1352546/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/motoport-gear-crash-tested-at-70-mph.507934/
    Kevm likes this.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He literally said he doesn’t want to deal with layers any more, and in comes the inevitable Motoport fan to extol the virtues of layering . :p
    BobcatSig and stk0308 like this.
  15. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    he did not state that in his first post, stop making things up anti-motoport person. he just didn't want to put a rainsuit on. Reality is the only way to meet all that he wants layering is the only way. there is no magic fabric that will stay water proof and keep one cool in high humidity and 90+ F temps.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, you're right, he said he discovered back in the 90s he was done with separate rain layers for touring, not a new decision!

I'm not anti-motoport (they're probably the most rugged mesh jacket around - even if Wayne's claims are hyperbolic or outdated in some cases), just tired of seeing people recommend them when the person asking has specific requirements that precludes them by default.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  17. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys I really do appreciate all the thoughts.

Point of order - I'm not against layers. Onions have layers, so do Parfaits!

I AM against having to add an extra waterproofing layer (above or below the jacket).

Here's the genesis of this feeling.

I'm dumb as rocks and lazy as shit.

I remember riding from PA to SC one time back in the 90s (pre-Stich). I got as far as DC when in heavy traffic and light rain I decided NOT to pull over (it would have been a PIA) and put rain gear on. By the time traffic opened up there was a rest area it was too late. Light rain had changed to a downpour and I was SOAKED THROUGH (leathers soaking wet). No choice but to ride it out without my one-piece rain-condemn. Around 1 am that night I pulled into South of the Border for coffee and to try and warm up... my leathers were ALMOST dry.

In the years to come I found out that I can be a lazy dumbass and not pull over cause I'm already wearing my stich (yeah that sometimes meant my jeans got soaked and my boots filled up with water.... other times it meant I was smart enough to put my Stich pants on before the ride or heavens I actually pulled over and stuck them on).

Either way - it's the just right for me - at least I know my jacket will keep me *dry* ish.... so yeah, that's my number one condition. The jacket, at all times, is ready to keep me dry.

I'm open on everything else.
    Amphib likes this.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the parfait analogy! Don't think I've seen it before.
  19. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Watch till the end... it's only 2 minutes.

20. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer:
    Here's an expensive outlier...the BMW Enduroguard jacket is as close to the unicorn as I have found so far. A VERY wide temperature comfort range and bullet proof in the rain. I have used mine in 114* and 28*, both sucked :-) but they were very doable.
    Kevm likes this.