I promise, it's the last rolling thunder

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by scorch, May 26, 2019.

1. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    There are alot of these guys around. Best is just to ignore them.
  2. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    I rode b/c it was the last one plus a friend who regularly attends invited me.

I champion veterans issues both through monetary donations and sharing events on social media. I work closely and am family/friends w/ active and former military. Though it feels like I'm feeding a troll, I'm hoping my active participation encourages others to do the same. And as long as I'm on a non-moto tangent, remember those who are still serving by giving time/money to the USO. They do so much more than hold concerts for our troops!
    Traxx likes this.
  3. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Presumably the computer or smart phone you typed that on was made in Pittsburg.
  4. John2453

Oddometer:
    Rolling Thunder is more than a motorcade from the Pentagon to Veterans Memorial; it is a full weekend event. During that time, there's tributes to our fallen and festivities in between. IMO, it's a motorcycle rally for riders to get together for a common cause. It also gives the public an opportunity to say "thanks" to our vets - specifically Vietnam vets - and the Vietnam vets a venue to the experience first hand public gratitude they didn't get when they returned from deployment back in the 60s/70s. That's my take anyway.

I, too, would like to see veterans causes better funded by our tax dollars. But, that's for another thread on another forum.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

You provide an optimistic view of the event. And spend more time than one day/ weekend dealing with the stated reason for the rally.

I have a different opinion. I don’t think many attendees of the rally do anything the rally rest of the year.

You description makes it more understandable that people riding in the parade are actually providing support.

I wonder how the average veteran feels about this sort of support.
  6. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny the 6 attendees of rolling thunder the I know also ride in Tour of Honor and frequent the local and any other VFW they can find. I have not been able to make Rolling Thunder, but I do ride for Tour of Honor and support Veteran owned buisness. Maybe its a local attitude near you, since you are in the nations capital.
    NewYorkLuke likes this.
  7. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    This rally brings tons of people to DC it's great. Locals get upset, but it's a good economic thing for the city. Veterans want it, and should keep on doing it.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The brand logo of the hardware facing me is of a company based in Austin, TX. The sticker on the keyboard indicates the OS software came from a company based in Redmond, WA. The application I'm using is from an American company in Mountain View, CA. I think the processor inside was made at a wafer fab in Chandler, AZ by a company headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. Was it assembled in the USA - sticker says "China". But I suspect that's more American content than that Yamaha motorcycle although it was designed in California.

I don't have an issue with imported goods but I also don't complain about the loss of domestic jobs.
  9. John2453

Oddometer:
    If the rider was wearing a hi-viz jacket and MX boots on a silver/black bike, that was probably me!
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the veterans that started it do not care to do it any longer.
  11. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Yes thats the guys who organize it. But it would be nice to have some others step up and organize this thing. It's quite a production, and kind of thank less. It's a full time job organizing this thing, and im sure it wore out those guys.
  12. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    Step right up!