I rode a bike to Reno, just to watch them fly...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MikeO, Sep 7, 2019.

1. MikeO

MikeO Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    19th September 2019 - Cont

Jorge, Jen and I drove over to the Sasquatch Brewery at Hillsdale...

[​IMG]

...where we met up with Greg (Deacon) and Connie (Deaconwife) for dinner...

[​IMG]

From left: Greg; Connie; Jen; Jorge; Sasquatch...

Unable to bring myself to order the Hairy Knuckle Stout Bratwurst... :lol3

[​IMG]

...I order the Impossible Bacon Cheeseburger and sweet potato fries. The 'Impossible' part comes from the fact that it is not made from beef, but created from vegan stuff in a laboratory. I've been meaning to try one for a while.

I'm able to report that it just tasted like a good burger - no discernable difference to my palate. Mind you the bacon and cheese were real. As was the avocado that somehow made its way onto the mix...:patch

A fun night was had - Greg is looking great - a result of a new training regime which has taken years off him. Connie needs no such regime - she has Greg to live with... :D

I try a couple of glasses of Sasquatch brewed cider - Squeeze - which tastes fairly innocuous, but has a 6.6% ABV kick. Excellent stuff...:-)

All too soon the evening draws to a close and we say our goodbyes. Jorge kindly nixes Jen's idea of putting me on a passing bus and we ride home. As ever, we are greeted with great excitement by Daisy and Zöe (perhaps some extra excitement as we have come back bearing a food box).

We take them for a walk around the campus of the Lewis & Clarke University - which is just across the road. As we get back to the house a light rain starts to fall...

Great Day :-)
  2. MikeO

Oddometer:
    20th September 2019

The day always comes when you have to pay for your fun. It's time to wash the bike... :lol3

There's a light misty drizzle falling as I push the bike out onto the driveway.

Jorge went as far as to suggest I keep it on the flat part... :fpalm

Anyhow :D

I give it a once over with the hose, then get to work removing nearly 2k miles of road grime and bugs. I take the screen off to get the dash clean underneath and work my way from front to back, finishing off with a wipe down with microfibre cloths to get it dry...

I do the whole job - except the wheels, which will need some proper cleaning chemicals and either a stool, or removal from the bike. Jorge tells me to leave them...

[​IMG]

Ta-Dah!

[​IMG]

Scrubs up well for an old bird... :D

[​IMG]

I push her back into the garage, before the misty drizzle undoes my work...

[​IMG]

The bike feels remarkably light to handle and manoeuvre in this 'naked' state... :lol3

I shut up shop and come back into the house where Daisy...

[​IMG]

...greets me with a vigorous tail-wag, which doesn't require her to move any other part of her body...

[​IMG]

Whilst Zöe races around the place and has to be fooled into stopping so I can get a picture.

I feel I'm more like Daisy in character... :lol3

I have a shower and do some texting home.

It occurs to me that I might be able to get one over on Roger (Chipseal) on the identity of the old car near Springfield...

[​IMG]

...so I call the number for Curran's Taxidermary to ask what the car is...:D

Unfortunately the number is unobtainable, so I Google the firm to see if they have a website.

It seems the proprietor was arrested in 2017 for sending marijuana, hidden in fake plastic boulders, to Oklahoma. Whereas pot is legal here in Oregon, it isn't in Oklahoma, so he's broken a federal law for which he faces up to 20yrs in Federal prison and a $1 million fine.

Don't suppose he's going to be restoring that car anytime soon, then... :hmmmmm

I decide to have a coffee and write up the journal - then do some interview prep...
    StinkyCheese, Shaggie, DC950 and 2 others like this.
  3. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's probably an English car! LOL

Bail money deal!
    MikeO likes this.
  4. MikeO

Oddometer:
    :D

It's quite a distinctive shape - a two door, but with that long rear side window... :hmmmmm
    Chip Seal likes this.
  5. shuckinator

shuckinator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been enjoyable following along on another of your trips. I was in the PNW earlier in the summer on my MG Stelvio and traveled some of the same roads. It was tough to come home to the heat and humidity of the deep south after a couple of weeks out west. Good luck with the interview.
    MikeO likes this.
  6. MikeO

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking 1969. The 70s & 71s seem to have central pillar in the grill... :hmmmmm
  7. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Brav-O, Mike-O!

:clap

Good luck with the interview.
    staticPort and MikeO like this.
  8. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dodge Swinger?
    MikeO likes this.
  9. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report love the war bird pictures. Have a great flight home,come back and do it again next year ....:clap
    MikeO likes this.
  10. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike,

I've enjoyed your ride reports since "Tour of the Colonies". It's downright comforting to come home 14+ hours after leaving for work and finding this one. The cars, the airplanes, locomotives, beer, LOL descriptions of AC settings, and excellent photos I hoped would be there were.

As used to be popular on this site :thumb
    MaddBrit, shay and MikeO like this.
  11. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Great report!
  12. MikeO

Oddometer:
    You know, I think you might be right - look at the badge on the front wing...
    IMG_7807.JPG
  13. MikeO

Oddometer:
    21st September 2019

I sleep very well, and wake just before 0800. After a shower and ablute, I finish packing and bring my bags downstairs. I offer Jorge the dead Camera No 1 as a shooting target next time he’s at the range.
    He asks me “So, it’s completely dead?”
    I tell him I’m about to put it in the bin.

OK

IMG_2427.JPG

Let’s have a look at it...

IMG_2428.JPG

Jorge quite often does this with random technology to see how other manufacturers solve connectivity problems...

IMG_2429.JPG

Pretty soon...

IMG_2430.JPG

...the job is finished, and Jorge says “Yep, it’s fucked Mike”... :rofl
  14. MikeO

Oddometer:
    21st September 2019 - cont

I spend the morning going around with Jorge picking up home improvement stuff at Home Depot.

IMG_2436.JPG

No room in my luggage, dammit (they had a remote controlled bark, if I felt Marnie wasn’t being freaked out enough by the appearance of a skeletal dog )

We stop off briefly at Walmart and then Fred Meyer to buy some last minute bits for me. All this takes us up to about 1330, when we arrive back at Chateau Carbo and unload the stuff into the garage.

I put the last couple of things in my luggage, then heave it into the back of Jorge’s Discovery, and we set off for the airport...

IMG_2438.JPG

Cable car - looks like the cupola of a zeppelin...

IMG_2434.JPG

Pretty looking mustang convertible

We arrive at the airport at just after 1400. I am checked in immediately, despite the name mismatch on my ticket, and am through TSA in under five minutes!

IMG_2444.JPG

Jorge gets a snap of the Red Arrows - who are scheduled to perform at the McMinnville Air Show this afternoon and tomorrow. I wander about the Departure Lunge, looking for a recommended restaurant called Screen Door - but it must be on the international side (I’m flying via LAX, so I’m on the domestic side).

I make do with...

IMG_2443.JPG

...a last cheeseburger and milkshake (mitt schlag) - delicious

Just got to wait for the departure now...
    shay, rjnutt, staticPort and 2 others like this.
  15. MikeO

Oddometer:

The Red Arrows return after doing their stuff at McMinville...

IMG_2446.JPG

Just about to board for LAX - 90 minute stopover then direct to LHR...
    MaddBrit and DC950 like this.
  16. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    No. A GTX is a GTX. Not a RR. But close. Horn doesn’t even go “meep meep”. It was for big boys.
  17. MikeO

Oddometer:

Arrived in LAX on schedule and have checked in for my Virgin flight to Heathrow. By careful batting of eyelashes, have managed to secure a seat with more legroom (albeit it’s a window again) - the flight appears to be rammed

Boarding soon - meantime, it wouldn’t be an AdvRider ride report without the signature drink, would it?

IMG_2452.JPG
    Bigger Al likes this.
  18. StinkyCheese

StinkyCheese Red or Green? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR MikeO. Pics were outstanding. Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your trip. It looked like you did.
    MikeO likes this.
  19. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Great Ride Report and photos. Old cars and Old aircraft, it's hard to go wrong there. My ears are still ringing and why am I hungry now? dd
    MikeO likes this.
  20. MikeO

Oddometer:

Arrived safely home after an unremarkable flight. I think this was my first trip in a Boeing 787-9. Very quiet aircraft (although, cruising at FL390 we hit a lot of clear air turbulence).

Gadget of the aircraft? This:

IMG_2453.JPG

There aren’t any pull up blinds on the windows in the passenger compartment - to darken, just keep pressing the button until the desired level of tint is achieved. When fully closed, the window is like a welder’s mask to look through.

What an age to be alive...
    Bigger Al and Shady Pass David like this.