1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Your experience may differ. Harley riders are people. Used to go to one Harley shop to check out Buell's, they were not always happy, jap bike and Buell interest.
    Never experienced that at most dealers or bike nights.
  2. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a friend who used to own a multi line dealership. Honda, Suzuki, Yam, Triumph, BMW.
    From a business standpoint, he wished he could have got a HD dealership. Much more profitable than the other lines. He joked that a HD rider's kids would go hungry before maintenance on the bike suffered.

Rod
  3. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    I have a Hardly and a BMW in the garage. The puddle is under the BMW. :deal
  4. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    i'm friends with quite a few harley-owning RUBs, and any issues with their giant modern-era hd sleds seem entirely self-inflicted... :norton
  5. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that in 20 years, the people who are now 40, will be 60.

Just sayin'!
  6. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suffered major cognitive dissonance when I saw a Hells Angels patch on a guy riding a ZX14....

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?!
  7. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    You must have visited during "Senior Discount Hour

The HD Demographics have changed dramatically since the "Aging Biker" worry days of the past.

R.L. Polk. a Marketing Research Company, performed an in-depth study:

Harley-Davidson is currently executing a multi-generational and multi-cultural marketing strategy in the U.S. The success of this strategy is measured by internally monitoring market shares within targeted customer segments of Core (Caucasian men 35+), young adults (men and women 18-34), women (Caucasian women 35+) and diverse men and women (African-American and Hispanic 35+).

Motorcycle registration results show Harley-Davidson is the segment leader in U.S. on-road motorcycle registrations, both in terms of heavyweight (651cc+) registrations and all displacement (all cc) registrations, across our targeted demographic customer definitions including:

New Motorcycle U.S. Market Share & Demographics
    Harley-Davidson is the market leader among Young Adults (men and women 18-34) in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

U.S. Young Adult Customer facts:

•- Harley-Davidson sells more motorcycles to young adults 18-34 Harley- Davidson captured the all displacement (all cc) market leader position with the young adult 18-34 segment in 2008, and expanded this leadership position in both 2009 and 2010. All displacement motorcycles include on-road performance, touring, custom and standard motorcycles of all engine sizes. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

•Harley-Davidson is relevant to new generations
    In 2010, Harley-Davidson sold more new motorcycles to today’s Millennial generation young adults in the U.S. than it did when the Baby Boomers generation (today’s “Core Customers”) was 18-34 (1988). Based on internal Company demographics and/or studies.

*Dark Custom™ Motorcycles resonate with young adults
    Purchasers of new Harley-Davidson Dark Custom™ motorcycles contain a higher percentage of young adult men and women age 18-34 than any Harley-Davidson family of motorcycles. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

Harley-Davidson is the market leader among women (Caucasian women 35+) in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

African-Americans
    Harley-Davidson is the market leader among African-American men and women 35+ in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

Hispanics
    Harley-Davidson is the market leader among Hispanic men and women 35+ in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=harley+david...

Read more: http://www.marketingprofs.com/ea/qst_question.asp?qstid=36982#ixzz3LtP99Jci

Visit the dealer more often.

Bob:D
  8. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Don't give a flying cluck what the demographics are.....
    If all your products cost more than two Jap bikes and are as boring as 60 year olds sitting around talking about the end of their days........you just are not going to be in the future

:lol3:lol3:lol3
  9. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
    - H. L. Mencken
  10. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    And doesn't this mean that Harley will finance anyone for any amount for any length of time?
  11. justafurnaceman

justafurnaceman Imaginary

Oddometer:
    I haven't checked the local one here since it's out in an area that I don't normally visit. I've been to a few and it always surprises me that I've found a couple of salesmen that don't ride. I thought that it would be a prerequisite. The best guys I've found in the business are those who love to ride and will direct you to the motorcycle that they think best fits your needs/wants even if it's not the brand that they sell.
  12. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    I stopped by a Harley dealer in Gillette Wyoming and they refused to change the tire on my DR650.

They said something about their tire machine not being able to accept that size rim. Since I was 1,500 miles from home they sent me to a Can-Am dealer. They explained to me that they don't even sell motorcycle tires. I served my country, Harley refused to serve me. F 'em.

If I ever get the urge to buy an air cooled, v-twin cruiser, it'll be Italian.
  13. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    And none of them speak English.
  14. doxiedog

doxiedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I think it will be a different game for the manufacturer of a luxury item in 25 years."

In 25 years i'll be 94,and won't give a fuck about bikes. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  15. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Minor difference, but the former came here legally. They were "immigrants." Now we're talking "crimigrants."

A distinction doubtless lost on you.
  16. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is not CSM! Keep it on topic.
  17. Mat

Mat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ooooh, the evil foreigners. Always handy scapegoats for everything. Don't you just love it.

Looking forward to hear your whining when these same immigrants become wealthy enough through hard work (instead of complaining about some other group of humans on the internet) to afford themselves some Harleys. I would not worry about Harley Davidson, although maybe it will be a different company than it is now. As it is now a different company as it was 20 years ago. After all, who would have thought that they would finally take the leap to water cooling :evil
  18. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute...

Are you trying to say that there are illegal immigrant, non-english speaking Baby Boomers out there riding around on Harleys that they bought from crappy dealers on easy credit? :eek1

Why I oughta':kboom...! ... :lol3
  19. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Well this went south quickly. Haha get it... South. :lol3

In all seriousness, HD isn't going anywhere. If it didn't go anywhere during the era of AMF it is here to stay. There will always be people that will buy brand new HD's and in large numbers. I can't count the number of all the 40+ douchebags I see on FLTR's and FLHX's with ape's with their ball cap turned backwards. :puke1
  20. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stopped by the local Harley dealer here in Huntsville a couple of times. Both times I was on my scooter and no one said anything about it. The sales people were friendly but not pushy. I'm not really all that interested in Harleys so there really wasn't that much to interest me there. What I did notice is this: Unlike the vast majority of Japanese bike dealers out there, they actually carried a pretty good selection of riding gear and accessories. Of course 99% of it was black so again, didn't interest me. They also had a meeting group in the back so their customers would have a place to meet or hang out.

I often ride past this place and if it's a Saturday morning there is often a large group of riders gathered out front, probably getting ready to go ride. They seem to hold a fairly large number of events there. What I get out of this is that they not only sell bikes but also all the stuff their customers want to go along with their bikes. Then they provide the opportunity for their customers to ride and hang out with other Harley riders.

Most Japanese dealers just have never figured this out. They sell bikes and service but not much else.