1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I bought my K16 at a multi brand dealer (BMW/Harley/EBR/Ducati). There's always a crowd in there, and they couldn't care any less what anyone rides. I've been to plenty Harley-only dealers on bikes other than Harleys, and have never gotten any grief about what I'm riding. If I ride the Harley to the local BMW-only dealer, I usually get a bunch of smart-assed comments about being confused. If I ride either the Harley or the BMW to the Kawasaki/Honda/Yamaha dealer where I bought the KLR, I get nothing but grief, and the place is usually empty.
  2. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    You guys spend too much time standing around in dealerships.
  3. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around here it is sportsbikes generally dying out compared to ten years ago, the heavy policing of speed means that cruisers will make more sense in the future not less.
  4. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have free donuts and coffee.
  5. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    That they do.... :*sip*
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Your government seems to have become heavy handed on many fronts.
  7. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I ever buy another touring bike, it will be a Harley. The modern bikes are just as rock solid reliable as the Japanese these days and Harley's customer service is outstanding. The Japanese need to take a long look at that. Many Japanese brand dealerships out here in Socal won't work on a bike that is more than 7 years old. Period. Most don't even stock parts for them. Most Harley dealerships, on the other hand, will work on a flathead if you bring one in! Then there is the barbeques, rides, charity events and all that no other dealerships are doing. Me, I love my Bonneville and my KLR, but the dealerships need to catch up with Harley if they expect the kind of brand loyalty that Harley enjoys. Just sayin'.

Harley will be around for many years.
  8. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    The grass is always greener.

I ride my own ride. I work on my own bikes. I don't need a dealership, black tshirt or barbeque to feel complete.
  9. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me either, but dealership support in no way is a bad thing, and is sorely missing in many brands.
  10. inline4

inline4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Costing 2x what a Jap bike does not enter into the decision for most who will buy the Harley. The Harley is always the desire.

And... Boring is relative, & when one reaches a certain age, reality sets in.

90% of the bikes I see on the road are Harleys, clones the other 10%.

Never Italian or other rides.
  11. sdmichael

sdmichael Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is that which turns some off from HD. If it isn't a Harley, it is either a "clone", "aspires to be", or is "metric". All are used to put down other makes as lesser somehow. Someone else can't make a cruiser? There are only so many looks a bike can have, only so many options. It might not be meant as derogatory but it certainly comes off that way.
  12. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is because the best bikes are OFF the road! =)
  13. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    With all the grousing about H-D that goes on here and elsewhere on the internet, I often wonder if anyone realizes there is another brand of US bike that directly competes with Harley: Indian. Those I've talked to who own both brands say that their Indians are better in every way.... except perhaps t-shirt selection. While I'm not personally in the market for either a foot-forward motorcycle nor one heavier than any of the ones presently in my shop, I've looked at the new Indians and they'd be my choice if I was buying from that category. So what's the consensus on Indian? Just something else to complain about or a better choice?
  14. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, nice of them to provide free snacks and drinks. Our local HD dealer moved close to I75 and I haven't been there yet. Our local BMW/Ducati dealer has a free lunch every Saturday which is a fun get together.
  15. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    fixt
  16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
    With all the grousing about H-D that goes on here and elsewhere on the internet, I often wonder if anyone realizes there is another brand of US bike that directly competes with Harley: POLARIS
    fixt

fixed that fix for you.

Polaris via Indian and Victory has apparently no interest in actually selling to me.

Harley dealers let me take test rides and compare bikes, and even showed me how the bikes could be configured to fit me.

Indian, can't even sit on the bikes. Test rides aren't even mentionable. They're ugly imo, so I'm not that interested anyhow.

Victory isn't much better. At least I could sit on them. They tell me the bike can be fitted to me, but refused to show me how. No test rides either.

So, Harley got my money.
  17. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:

The Thread topic is Dealerships, not an Indian Vs. Harley endless debate. Save that for another time, although I believe it's been beaten to death already.

They are currently not a "competitor" as their sales are nowhere near those of HD, but can certainly be categorized as an "alternative". I'd also wait for about three to four years to see how the new Indians hold up before making any "better" claims. The modern Harleys are tough to beat as far as reliability/durability go. "Better" is a relative, subjective, wide-open term. It depends.

Back to topic: Indian has a loooong way to go to match the HD Dealership spacing, locations and network capabilities nationwide. I live west of Chicago. The nearest Indian dealer is way up in Elgin, the next closest in all the way into Indiana.

I would pass about 25 HD Dealerships before I'd reach an Indian Dealer, and this is Chicago!!!

To those that argue that they never go to dealers, and perform all their maintenance themselves. O.K., I do as well. But... when I am doing a cross country run, it's good to know that I can - if necessary - get parts or service in virtually any town along the way. THAT is what a dealer network is all about. Otherwise, I guess you could stay at a motel, and wait for the parts purchased on the internet to arrive, and that is assuming you have all the tools and fixtures to perform the repair/service 2000 miles from home.

Sorry I said that, as for sure someone will pipe in about how they pack their 750 piece tool kit and machine shop set-up every time they ride!:lol3

In the end, HD has a pretty good dealer network,. Sure, there are a few poorly managed ass-wipe establishments along the way, but I'd argue that that holds true for any brand, so that argument cancels itself out. Dealerships are basically Franchises, owned by individuals with varying concepts of what is.... "good".

Bob
  18. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    :evil
  19. firemanonabike

firemanonabike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About the "only old guys ride Harley" When I was in high school/college I rode Honda. We made fun of H-D because they were noisy, handled poorly, leaked oil and were hard to start. And the bikes were ugly. After 45 years off the bike, I started looking about 3 years ago. I knew I did not want a Harley, & I did not want a crotch rocket. But I wanted to ride the paved backroads and maybe the freeway.

One day I drove by an independent shop and saw a purple bike. For the next month I looked at the bike everytime I went by. One day I turned around and stopped. It was purple w/silver and gray flames, lots of chrome and the sign said $10,500.00. No way was I paying that much for a Harley. I did like the noisy pipes though. I started looking on line and did not see any bikes that I liked. There were cheaper bikes, they were not purple. Next time, I stopped and talked to a salesman. He was old, bald, pot-bellied and his beard was the same color as mine, white. I offered $9,000, then $9500, then $10,000.00. He got the $10,500. I ended up with a Harley! It does not leak oil, it starts every time, it is fun to ride and it is noisy! (Rhineharts, no cats) My girlfriend likes to ride with me. If you are in Eastern Oregon and see a purple Road King Screaming Eagle w/loud pipes and the rider has a smile, that would be me/us, complete with Langlitz leathers and Shoei black helmets. And I wave at everyone, even those that hate Harleys
  20. portablejohn

portablejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never liked having a piston aimed straight at my penis.