1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. sdmichael

sdmichael Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why did you even bother to get the Super Tenere if it youre just going to knock it? What makes a new HD anytging different than another new cruiser? It isnt special, not any more than the next motorcycle. other companies have been around just as long. Do they just not have a history?

As to comfort, that is subjective. i find my motorcycles to be comfortable for what i do with them. An overweight, shiny, and loud cruiser doesn't fit into that comfort for me.
  2. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you both for those rare rational expressions of Harley love.

I see some parallels to this in another sub-set of motorcyclists, "old crock" enthusiasts. You know, the guys who lovingly restore and ride old Nortons, BSAs, Velocettes, etc. You gotta respect someone with that kind of passion, and the bikes are truly special in their own right. But none of those guys would ever claim their old crocks are comparable to modern bikes.

I would dearly love to own a Norton Commando or a Tonti-framed Moto Guzzi cafe racer. Either would be enormously satisfying, even though I'm well aware that, functionally speaking, a 10 year old SV-650 is a far more capable bike than either of those classics.

When Harley riders get all smug and superior about what is essentially a modern-day, American made old crock, that's when their credibility disappears. Any respect they may have earned is lost as well.

I don't see why it's so hard to be honest about your feelings and own them. There is no shame in that, there is only integrity in that. Integrity is what gets you respect, not what you ride.
  3. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Please... please tell us what brand and model and year of bike we should all be riding, how we should ride, where we should go, what we should wear and what we should be thinking about. You seem to know all that is knowable. Please share.

Either that, or maybe try to be a little more tolerant of others, and a lot less judgemental? Maybe? Yeah, that might be better.

It's a shame everyone cannot be just like you. Then it would be a perfect world... for you anyway!:D
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    It makes me want to go for long rides like no other bike I've ever had.

It's also darn pretty and makes my wife frisky.
  5. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if all that was directed at me, or if it was just the post that got quoted for your monologue; however...

I was responding to the comment about which dealership would you rather have if you were the owner of a dealership. As someone else posted, for all large bore bikes Harley sells more than all other brands combined here in the US. Assuming they are not taking a loss on each bike sold (they're not), then as the owner of a dealership of course you would want the Harley brand. You'll make more sales (bike and merchandise) and therefore make more money.

That has nothing to do with whether or not Harley is a superior product to whatever other bike.

As for me wanting a Sportster... I can get a brand new 883 for less than 9K out the door; with a 5 year warranty and unparalleled dealer support. Plus it is a nice bike to cruise around town and run errands on. Sure, a NC700X may be a better bike for the task (especially with the trunk where a gas tank normally is, cool feature!), but "what bike is better for me and my situation?" is always going to be debatable.
  6. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    To seemingly everyone except for the actual owner, who is out riding and enjoying himself. :D
  7. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    :nod

And I would really like to be out on my FZ1 right now! :deal
  8. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    It's a toss-up.

We have a Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha/Polaris dealer 12 miles west. It's family owned since 1978.

We also have a Harley dealer 4 miles south. Family owned since 1985.

Both dealerships are great - zero complaints.

I've seen each of them drop what they're doing to help a stranded rider - even keeping the shop open late or whatever it takes.
  9. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 great response. much nicer than mine was going to be.
    do all these harley haters think that HD riders have never ridden and owned any other make? I understand harley isn't the right bike for everyone. but i don't understand morons like the OP who essentially call us stupid and incapable of making THE correct choice in motorcycles.
    I, like many many otheres have owned many brands and types of bikes. currently in my garage there is a yamaha, a suzuki, a honda,two kawasakis and two harleys. My wide glide is the most liked bike i've ever had. it fits me better than any other, it has been reliable and i've toured it in all but 3 of the lower 48. I am thinking of a KTM to replace my well liked KLR. would that be O.K.?
  10. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:

Thank-you for that nice photo.

... and I agree with your post.....
    :D
  11. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    Holy crap. Are you my long lost brother? :rofl

I have a Honda, Yamaha, two Kawasaki, a Suzuki, and two Harleys.....
  12. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    your stable is way better than mine! and your softtail is the wrong harley. don't you know better?
  13. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    I can tell you WHAT IT IS. It's because it's a well made motorcycle that does what I want it to do very well. I like the way it looks over any other motorcycle, I like the way it sounds (evo), I like the way it feels (evo), and it is a whole lot more fun to ride than the generic feeling metrics I've owned. No it's not as reliable, yeah there is some shit on it that makes you scratch your head, but if you're the type of person who wants to just "ride" a motorcycle, rather than actually OWN a machine, get intimate with it, and learn what makes it move and how to keep it moving then an older Harley isn't for you. As to the new TC's? I don't know, and I don't care... they don't do it for me.

I wouldn't be caught dead on a ricer cruiser. Doesn't mean that I won't ride say, an FZ-09 though, but when it comes to cruisers, sorry. I don't really consider my Evo to be a cruiser though.
    [​IMG]

Except that panhead of his is probably older than you. :lol3
  14. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    Uggggg - and I have TWO Softails (don't tell anyone) :fpalm
    I'm just a slow learner.

Although...... I DO have one of THESE.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    I guess we all are. Maybe if we hang around this Thread long enough, more superior type folks will enlighten us as to what we should like, and what we should be interested in.

How do you think I feel? I've apparently been riding the wrong bikes, and the wrong way, for the wrong reason since 1967!!! Well, live and learn as they say.:lol3
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only "wrong" bike is the one that sits in the garage and doesn't get ridden.

I guess I'm lucky. I ride with riders who ride all kinds of bikes and no one cares what you ride, only that you come out and ride.

Group on my last ride. Yes there's a Harley in the pic.

[​IMG]

And yes the Harley rider had fun in the curves. he wasn't the slowest one either.

[​IMG]

Given how cold it was that day I wouldn't have minded having the extra wind protection the Harley rider had.
  17. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some how I doubt you're really interested in my take on HD motorcycles... Your second statement is patently false. Apparently many people here love the "warfare" because every time HD is mentioned twenty of the same tired posters appear to tell everyone why HD is a sorry excuse for a motorcycle. And then there are the noobs who show up to tell us all how stoopid we are and favor us with a tired HD joke which we've all heard at least 205 times.:hmmmmm
  18. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best post in this thread happens to be the latest one. Well played. I've only owned 1 Harley, I'm 54 and WILL own another. Hopefully an XR1200X or a Street Rod. Ridden both at my local Harley shop, that was FULL of people both times I visited. Sayin'.
  19. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe have disagreed with a couple of your posts elsewhere, but I agree 100% with this one. Even the sarcastic delivery. :lol3
  20. nichloasjerry1

nichloasjerry1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I am below 60 years old and I still want to buy a HD