1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never said anything like that to any rider, and won't. I have nothing against Harleys or those who ride them. I was actually trying to make fun of the chest thumping macho attitude. Yes, on the internet. I ain't no twerp, nor do I live in mom's basement, but I never had a desire to wear a do-rag.
  2. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was he riding?
  3. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have met many attitude laden asshats over the years, and heard all of the typical bullshit as well. It's been a long time for the most part though, and true enough some of the worst incidents were from people who probably didn't even own a Harley. :baldy

Riding with few great guys that are Harley owners the last few years softened me to the idea of one owning a HD should they build one that suited our needs. Sure enough we inadvertently bought a RGU in Sept of 2013. It's a damn nice motorcycle as well, it doesn't leak, has not missed a beat, the ABS works great, the seats are comfortable, the pillion was second only to the Wing in comfort for my wife, and thus far the dealer experiences have been the best I've ever had.

However, I have already told my friends, and my wife, that if I ever get the urge to holler out to a complete stranger; "GET A HARLEY!" ...I am selling the SOB immediately...:lol3
  4. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    See..... it works!!:lol3
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

A truck. :rofl
  6. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. You know how to read.
  7. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, it's your lucky day: I've done that!
  8. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    I hear shit like this alot when out on my 76 Shovelhead. "Why would you ride that? That's when they made real junk". "I'm amazed its not leaking". "Well if that's what you can afford I can see it". Meanwhile said pirate can't change his own plugs or oil. Or a tire. At gunpoint couldn't set points or timing on my old bike or a fucking lawnmower for that matter. And doesn't realize that all bikes are cool. Hasn't got a clue except the drivel he and his friends spew. I gotta say I agree with some of the negative Harley shit posted in this thread. Things have changed and not for the good. I always stop for a rider...don't matter if he/she's on a moped. But nowadays they are just on a cell phone. Things they are a changing...
  9. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    funny story..

One shift in the middle of the night I responded to a 911 call that a motorcyclist was stopped on the side of the road frantically waving at passerbys for help. (Of course, this 911 caller never stopped.) This area was near some typical Florida Swampland, so in the middle of nowhere.

I arrive and find the Harley rider on the side of the road. He was ok, his clutch cable had broke and his wife had ridden home to get the truck & trailer. He was waving his arms fighting off the mosquitoes. He was quite grateful I had a can of bug repellent with me.
  10. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    Great! When / where / who's day did you ruin? It wasn't an established club...or a support club...so tell us! How did your douchebaggery fuck up someone's day? I can't wait to hear the details on how you fucked with someone for no apparent reason to feel better about yourself...do tell! Did it make you feel good? Do you re-think it in your head when your angry? Did your s/o get all wet because you decided to be a complete ass? Did you tell all the guys at work at the water cooler about how bad ass you are? Oh...wait...that's right...you don't own a Harley..but think all Harley owners do these things... well hows it feel to be a member of a club that doesn't really exist? :lol3
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  12. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    You're so full of shit. yeah right...You?:lol3
  13. sdmichael

sdmichael Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious... why so quick to discount and discredit any dissenting views? It may surprise you that others may have had a different experience than you or may have a different feeling about those experiences than you. Are you telling us that this "get a real bike" or any other version is pure BS, purely based upon your direct experience? You'd be amazed at how the world is outside your bubble.

On a different note, ribbing another person is one thing. Doing so to a stranger may not be the best move. Having people at a dealership make fun of (even if only in jest) a strangers motorcycle/gear/whatever is bad form. Considering there is at the least a general idea that this sort of crap exists in the manner that they are actually trying to insult, it could well be construed as an attempt to insult. So why do it in the first place? I had some ass trying to be as smartass, someone I did not know at all, try to tell me that he had just knocked my motorcycle over in a parking lot... you know "as a joke". "Was that your motorcycle I just knocked over with my truck?" ... not a funny joke at all. It wasn't knocked over, but the point was made. What ever happened to just being friendly/nice without trying to make fun of someone/insult as an option? Hello. Nice bike. Don't like the bike, don't tell me. I don't care and keep it to yourself. None of us care for the attitude.
  14. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:
    steve68steve

Just another internet blowhard....
  15. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    Because he's been a Serial Basher for 6 years on this Forum, and we are at over a thousand posts on this thread, and ... suddenly... for the first time ever... he reveals the opening to a story of heroic, epic manhood. No actual story mind you, but an announcement. How convenient. Give us a break.

You do know that the old "My truck backed into your bike" routine is as old as the hills.... right?:lol3

Motorcyclists rib eachother, and joke around all the time. Ribbing and joking is distinctly different from Internet bashing because:

1.) It's all in good fun, and has no intention of continually degrading anyone.
    2.) It doesn't rely on made up stories and fabricated facts, seriously intended to be passed off as true.
    3.) It's done in person, not anonymously.
    4.) After everyone has a good laugh, all is forgiven, and it's beers all around.
    5.) No one carries a grudge for years and years to come.
    6.) The ribbing is not done because of jealousy, envy, or to even up an old score.
    7.) It is done in part to see what the guy is made of. Will he respond with a good one, or run off whining?
    8.) The ribbing usually has boundaries. No comments about the wife or girlfriend for example.

If someone can't tell the difference between good natured ribbing amoung friendly riders, which many of us do, but in person, and internet bashing, they really should listen and learn from others. It IS an acquired form of humor.

Meanwhile, I'm working on my story of how I stood off 10 insane Bikers with only my trusty pocket knife.

There I stood, my ripped abs glistening in the sun as they surrounded me....

:lol3
  16. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Physician: heal thyself!

If you would like to meet somewhere IRL for me to tell you your HD sucks, I can meet you at Keystone HD in Parryville, PA. I usually get home from work around 6PM, or we could do it on a weekend.

Failing that, I'll be riding either down thru the Smokies or out to Colorado sometime this Spring/Summer. I might go WV a few times for long weekends. Maybe we could set up a meet then.

I ride solo, so don't bring a bunch of friends with you unless you're a coward. I'm not foolish enough to insult a large GROUP of chest-thumpers. One-on-one, you guys are all pretty harmless, tho, IME.
    We could set up a phone to record video of me standing up to a real HD guy IRL and upload a link back in this thread to substantiate my claim.

IF you take it like a man, maybe we could grab something to eat afterwards. If you take it like a pouting little sissy, I probably wouldn't be interested. If you want to escalate to violence to defend a brand of motorcycle: no weapons. Fisticuffs only. You don't prove you're a badass by hitting an unarmed man with a tire iron, you prove you're an animal.

Game on!!
  17. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    "We could set up a phone to record video of me standing up to a real HD guy IRL and upload a link back in this thread to substantiate my claim."

Yes, yes and.... YES. Please do this asap. We humbly accept your challenge. Wait, how do we know the "real" HD guy isn't one of your friends masquerading as a "real" rider? I smell a rat.

Wait. Why do you guys who cyberly hate HD so much keep on insisting on going to the dealerships? Masochists? See Post #1068.

He shoots.... he scores!

:nono... :lol3
  18. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, look me up when you come thru Colorado. You can give me shit about my Harley and I'll give you shit about your Glee? (can someone tell me what that is?) And then we can go check out a local canyon or two...:clap
  19. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Did a Harley riding patch holder fuck your old lady and thump you on the head? If you saw me with my old evo I can guarantee you wouldn't have the balls to walk up and say a damn thing. :lol3
  20. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    Why bother meeting? Just exchange numbers and insult each others rides via cell phone. Or if you both have I- phones then just do face time. Maybe there's even an app for this type of thing. :lol3