I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I believe that camaraderie through humorous banter plays an important role within the social paradigm especially where a group with multiple alpha personalities is concerned. While these games are often duplicated in our youth ,they're applications are typically applied far differently by the young. As adult males we tend to engage in these social games in order to invite a rebuttal from someone that we would like to see "initiated" into our respective group whereas when we are young these same games are used as an exclusionary tactic. The problems (such as someone feeling insulted) arise when one of these alpha groups attempts to include an individual that remains mentally confined to his youthful interpretation of what these games mean or this inclusionary jesting is directed at someone that has become accustomed to exclusion.
  2. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Mainshaft seal... hardest one to replace with the trans in the bike. I replaced every seal on my bike in the primary side except that one, and guess which one still leaks? I've come to accept it now, and don't care anymore.
  3. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this isn't going to fly here. In the land of adolescent behavior

The same amount of time you've been held back in 7th grade. Still there, right? :lol3

(sigh)
    With the last part of your post, you did...:wink:
  4. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Sounds like someone had sand kicked in their face at a beach sometime in the past. Jeeesh!:lol3
  5. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    To clarify, I'm not trying to prove anything when I'm busting on my friend. Is everyone here either a lawyer or an english teacher? :rofl
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

That car is sick!! Honestly I wouldn't take a FWD car to an event like this. As fun as my car is to me ,I am well aware of it's short comings. Drag racing just isn't it's forte. I have been contemplating installing the 3071r that I have sitting in my closet but I can't imagine that traction will improve with another 80whp. :lol3
  7. TheProphet

Oddometer:

This may help a few of the folks here...

[​IMG]
  8. TheProphet

Oddometer:
  9. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe, it's been a few years now... At any rate, HD has been a good reliable motorcycle for me. The wrenching I've done was entirely discretionary, headwork, cylinders/pistons, cams, carbs, exhaust, suspension and brakes. One of my buddies, (in a display of adolescent behavior, or humorous banter as the case may be) tells me I should have skipped all the work on my FXR and just bought a sport bike. :rofl Not a chance:deal Nothing provokes a grin like 100# of torque in a 600# sport bike.:1drink
  10. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly lawyer wannabes.

I've asked that same question more than a couple times myself. :lol3
  11. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    English.
  12. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    No..."sick" is Jeff Lutz's "evil twin" 57 Chevy, or Larry Larson's 66 Nova, or (especially) his totally over-the-top "S10"...which runs a 6-flat quarter.

One guy had a tube-chassis Civic with a twin-turbo LS1.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Look up a car called Sick Seconds.
  14. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    Most of the language spoken here in the U.S. is so badly butchered it doesn't deserve the upper case treatment. :deal :wink:
  15. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Familiar with it...it broke & couldn't finish Drag Week.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

:cry
  17. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is very well put Ginger. I have been employed as a LEO for about 28 years having retired in the last year. The amount of ball busting or joking or what ever you want to call it was pretty intense for most of that time. Again I think it was done as you said to include people in the group. You know your in trouble when they DONT bust your stones. I used to fill out a Hurt Feelings report if someone was a little to thin skinned. The only thing that was really off limits were your kids. On the flip side I was told that PD's account for a huge number of sexual harassment cases. Glad to be retired. Still busting balls:lol3
  18. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ginger's and your comments are very insightful and accurate. The problems occur when the 'players' get too involved and don't know when to back off. Or the primal instincts take over. There is a cost to abuse.
  19. Red eyed and Rollin

Red eyed and Rollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree completely some people can be mean spirited. Timing is everything. I think also the Internet does not lend itself well to this type of behavior especially among strangers. You can't see the smile or sneer on the face of the poster.
  20. Bridge Builder

Bridge Builder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not exactly sure what happened to OP's intent as I have skimmed through a lot of this thread......... my question to you with HD experience or specific knowledge, the question the HD sales person could not/did not answer (at least without doubt): Are there any differences between the RK and Road Glide in handling, power, ergos or anything other than the obvious fairing/windshield and bags? The question relates to 2013-2015 models.

Although the RK is most appealing visually and I could not give a rats ... about a stereo the issue of RK buffeting without remedy seems to be the deal breaker............from what two current owners say.

My typical riding is either short 2-6 hour romps through a combination of mostly back roads and twisties; and then periodic multi day 400-600 rides loaded down solo riding. If relevant I am 5'6", 150#'s. Am I realistic in my expectations with either of these choices knowing that aftermarket seat and suspension mods have been a part of most every bike I have owned.