I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bridge builder. you stated your question in a way that is hard to answer. the road glide and road king are two very different animals. you ask if there are any differences other than the obvious. well duh, the obvious differences are the differences. engines and and drive train are identical. a road king properly set up will not buffet the rider. neither will it have the wind protection of a frame mounted fairing. I believe the general consensus is a road glide is the most stable HD in crosswinds. but they are all pretty good in that regard.
  2. Bridge Builder

Bridge Builder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You answered my question exactly......engine, drive train and suspension?..... therefore handling being the same the RK has my interest with solution(s) for the buffeting. A good friend with a '13 RK has not figured that out yet and that has been my greatest caution on this. Test ride now to come.
  3. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Bikes are virtually identical, except for fairing/windshield/bags. I have a 2011 RKC. I am 5'-9", 210 Lbs.

I can predict that the stock seat will be too high, but there are many options for a lower seat.

You might also be leaning forward too much, try the "Heritage" type bars, they are pulled back about 1 3/4 ".

At 5'6", you will be looking THROUGH the stock windshield on an RK, not over it. I cut mine down 2 1/2 inches with a power jigsaw, and it looks exactly like new. Top of the windscreen is now even horizontally with my upper lip. Nice. Tons of videos on YouTube outlining exactly how to do this. Not sure if HD offers a lower than stock windshield, maybe they do.

Buffeting? After the windshield cut-down, the lower seat, and the pull back bars - Zero.

The point I'm trying to make is that the "Buffeting" experience depends a great deal on where you are positioned on the bike. Making adjustments for the optimum seating/posture/height goes a long way towards getting rid of it.

Have fun,

Bob
  4. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as for buffeting, when i first got my wide glide i set the windshield as high on the forks as possible, my theory being that at 6'7 that would be best. i had lots of buffeting, my glasses bounced around on my face, not at all comfortable. i dropped the windshield as low as possible on the headlight and it's perfect. wind in my face and smooth as can be. the problem was all the air being pushed up between the headlight and the shield. it acually take a preety short windscreen to deflect the wind up and over.
  5. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buffeting and helmets.......

I've found that on both a Street Glide with a 8" windshield and a Road Glide with the same height shield buffeting is much more pronounced when wearing a full face helmet vs. a DOT half helmet.

I wear a full face on all other bikes but a half helmet on the HD.

Maybe this is one reason a lot of HD riders are sans helmet or half helmet. I'm sure I could work with the wind management issues if I had to wear a full face but I really prefer the half helmet because there is little to no direct wind in my face at speeds up to 70 mph.

Just something to consider when dealing with buffeting.

As far as the road glide, I'm 5'7 and 150 lbs and put a set of pullback bars on mine along with a narrower lower Corbin seat and raised the rear about an inch with Ohlins shocks. It's a '12 with the upgraded suspension and 103" engine while the Street Glide was an '06 with an 88" engine. The RG definately handles cross winds better.
  6. inglysh

inglysh Completely Custom

Oddometer:
    t'was just sitting there. a 2011 street glide with 2000 miles. total garage queen. the po must've spent another 2K on top of the cost of the bike to deck it out in accessory chrome. it seemed to have every aftermarket part slapped on it that a person could think to want. don't care one way or another for harleys, but this looked like a nice machine so i threw a leg over it.

i have no idea what the po did to the suspension but whoever sold it to him either did no favors or hated the guy. there's more cushion built into a two by four than there was on this hog. by that trait alone i don't know if the shop could ever hope to sell it, though i'm sure they will. i'm nearly 190 pounds didn't compress the springs a lick.

a person that "loves to pee" could drink a cup or two of coffee and have a real special day with this hardware. a person that has a bladder infection would be in only the kind of trouble that luke and bo duke could find.
  7. Transition3

Transition3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have owned a FLH custom for the last 4 years. I had been wanting an adventure bike for awhile as I have been getting bored going to the same places over and over. I wanted to unlock the thousands of miles of dirt roads in Az. I would have preferred to have both a duel sport and a HD in my driveway. I feel it is hard for any 1 bike to do everything. My bicycle collection would agree. I own a TT bike for racing road, Road bike for group rides, Fixed gear for riding around town, Townie for riding to bars with the wife and a Mountain bike for off road. As luck would have it someone wanted my custom bad enough to steal it. The bright side is an 02 custom Harley with 50k miles paid for an 09GSA with 1k miles. I must admit I miss the Harley for cursing around town. I am looking forward to the new roads that the GSA will offer.
    As to the original post. I always mapped out where the Harley dealers were located when we traveled. They are set up as a destination. You can count on a comfortable couch, clean bathrooms, water and likely a pool table. They always had what ever luggage or clothing we needed. If it is raining, hot or cold you can count on getting shelter at the dealer. If the wife is feeling the effects of a long ride, shopping for some cute clothes would turn that frown upside down. I can't offer an opinion about BMW as a whole being new to the brand. I can say that my local dealer is NOT a destination dealer.
  8. Bridge Builder

Bridge Builder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Prophet, Farmerstu and Blk-Betty. I look forward to demoing the RK now and if initial rides intrigues, then rent one for a week or so next month when work schedule eases. I have played with wind screen on my current ride, R1200R, and found a sport screen with my full face helmet better than sport-touring or touring screen resolved the buffeting. Counter intuitively the wind hitting the top of my shoulders resulted in virtually no buffeting.

I know buffeting issues are individual and how helmets and even mirrors can affect impact. I have just never heard of similar resolutions for the RK.
    I got the itch for something new in my riding and even with a HD I will be ATGATT or at least most of the time.
  9. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    You seem to be obsessed with urine. Fishing for a Golden Shower? I think you're in (get it? You're in?) the wrong Forum Section.

:eek1
  10. strokerdave

strokerdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ixtlajuacan de los Membrillos, Jalisco, Mx
    Freudian slip?
  11. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Bridge builder, try a Switchback. A tighter, lighter package. Just another option.
  12. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    First off, not a fan of Harleys. Whatever.

However,

Anyone who believes it is just older folks that are interested in Harleys is seriously out of touch. As much as I hate to admit it, there is an ENORMOUS subculture among the twenty something hipsters who adore Harleys and Harley culture. The MoCo has a solid foundation of potential buyers for many years to come.
  13. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And why would you hate to admit it?
  14. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went down to Tucson to visit a friend and watch the SuperBowl with him.

It was raining on Saturday, so not much to do. We decided to stop by the Harley dealer to look around. Plan was then to go to the Aprilla/Guzzi dealer so I could show him the bikes I am considering buying.

Ended up there about 5 hours because my friend bought a brand new Road Glide.

I would post a picture, but I'm at work and can't.
  15. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:

Maybe he's a hipster that's not into the subculture? Who knows... or gives a shit. :lol3

But thank GAWD that the Harley hipsters will keep HD afloat! :rofl
  16. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm sure your friend will thoroughly enjoy the RG. If you ever make it back out this way again and stop by the Guzzi/Aprilia dealer, it can be real hit and miss on the experience. I was in there a while ago looking at a Norge, and the sales dood wouldn't even get up off his ass to answer my questions. And the time before that I was just browsing, and the guy I spoke with was awesome. Very cool bike IMHO... wish it had electronic cruise.
  17. inglysh

inglysh Completely Custom

Oddometer:
    Not obsessed... but.

My first mc was a Suzuki boulevard m50/800 deal that I bought used. Gawd I loved that bike... but only because it was all I knew.
    I am reminded of the first few longer distance rides I did on it. Once I took on a 450 miler to get up north. I think I stopped every 30 miles to take a leak due to the jarring of the suspension alone. A real james bond bike (shaken, not stirred).

Now when I shop for a moto, the first thing I think about is "how much is this thing going to make me have to pee?"

I suppose I could just schlep around in some depends guards. Good thing I never leave north America in my travels... they only work in-continent.
  18. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Perhaps the biggest question stock analysts have for Harley concerns the average age of their buyers. The MoCo stopped reporting this after 2009. In the prior five years the average age of a buyer had risen 7 years to 49. If this trend has reversed why don't they report the actual number in their financial statements? They list as a key risk in their latest annual report that "The Company’s marketing strategy of appealing to and growing sales to multi-generational and multi-cultural customers worldwide may not continue to be successful," but then provide not a single number as to the age or cultural breakdown of their buyers.

The OP took note of the age and cultural makeup of the buyers at the dealership he visited. It seemed to comport well with what Harley itself reports as it "core customer," which they define as Caucasian males over 35 in the U.S. Harley reports data on the average household income of its U.S. buyers ($90,800), on the proportion that have at least one year of education beyond high school (over 75%), the proportion of buyers with with college or graduate degrees (34%), the membership in H.O.G. (approximately 1 million worldwide), the number of riders that have attended their Riding Academy (300,00 since its inception), but not one figure concerning the age, sex ratio, or cultural breakdown of its buyers.
  19. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We contract our maintenance by our local Harley Dealer. We change our oil every 5k, which roughly translates to every 3 months. Since our refueling is done via a purchasing card, our mileage is strictly tracked, so maintenance is done religiously or we face disciplinary action.

If preventive maintenance isnt being done, then its the Dealerships fault. Besides, bikes less than a year old/less than 10k miles really shouldnt require a huge amount of preventive maintenance
  20. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gee kinda sounds like the more intelligent 1/2 of the population are the HD buyers... What more do you need to know!:deal

Actually pretty easy conclusion to come to after being on this forum for a while and figuring out the IQ's of the haters are. :rofl