1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Bridge Builder

Bridge Builder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just looking at the SB and sitting on them in the store seemed fine. Smaller bags for the long camping trips were my only objection. Worth taking a test ride though.
  3. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    100 lbs less. 103 engine. They are a pisser to ride. And sized like a 7/8th Road King so they are the same size as Shovels. A Good look to them.
  4. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm down there once in a while, since I do have a friend down there.

He switched from a 1098 to a Fat Boy two years ago. He bought a 2003 100th anniversary edition with 2000 miles on it.

He traded that in on the Road Glide, it had 7800 miles on it. So he put a bit over 5000 miles on it in two years.
    About 1500 of that was when we went riding in July last year.

I told him he is going to have to put miles on this one.

And here is a picture, his model and color, but not his bike.

P.S He is 40 and an engineer

[​IMG]
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed. :lol3
  6. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:

If he's a locomotive engineer, then I can appreciate the lack in mileage. I'm sure other 'engineers' get strung pretty thin too.

Anyway, bring a bike next time, hit me up, and talk your friend into a carve up the Lemmon. Hopefully people clear a path for a good run... :lol3
  7. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Hey... wait a minute!

[​IMG]

Bashers need love too. :gun2
  8. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to the local dealership tomorrow... to pick up my vented lower fairings.

:D

Shopped around online, and gave them the opportunity to play ball. They came through, and got them a hell of a lot faster than I would have ordering them some other way.

:freaky

Maybe I'll ask for the nickel tour while I'm there... :lol3
  9. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    For a culture that prides itself on being non-conformist to lean towards the most mainstream choice in motorcycles is... discouraging.

Kids these days.
  10. kottomack

kottomack blahblahblah...go ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    had a FLHTCUI(thats a mouthful and a handful) and I used to curse around town:D
  11. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh, I figured it was because you don't like harleys. Where do those hipster dufiy buy their non-conformist uniforms at anyway? Did Starbucks start a clothing line?
  12. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    Just an observation/question...isn't being a non-conformist less about what you have and more about what you do? Generally speaking, of course. I'm not saying your comment isn't valid.
  13. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed.

I for one am glad HD is the most mainstream choice in motorcycles.. I've been riding them since the sixties and if it weren't for the cash all those lawyers, doctors and accountants spent with the Motor Company it wouldn't exist or at least not in it's present form. No Evolution motor? No rubber mounted touring bikes? No FXR's? No Evo Sportster? That would all suck.:deal

As far as the non conformity of the riders, it's true that on the surface you could say they're all "pirates" or whatever but you don't have to scratch very deeply to see the individuality displayed by the riders and the bikes they ride. I'm always amazed at the ingenuity and creativity of bikers. It's truly what sets us apart from the animals and BMW riders.:wink:

And to the OP's point, I stopped in at GJ Harley in Grand Junction yesterday mid afternoon. There were 6 customers besides myself, I'm pushing sixty but the other customers where all young men in their twenties and thirties. They were looking over the Road Glide's. One may have been in the process of buying a bike. i picked up a set of keys I'd had made for my Ulysses and then chatted with the twenty something year old cutie in the clothing department. She was funny, engaging and knowledgeable about the textile gear I was looking at for my wife. All in all, I'd say, as I have many times before, GJ Harley has their shit all in one sock... and they're not alone in this, most of the HD dealers I've seen are much the same, they're very good at what they do.:deal
  14. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    If millennial generation Hipsters cannot afford cars nor homes, why would they be suddenly considering motorcycles?

And, is it only me, or does it seem like "Hipsters" have very obvious uniforms, grooming styles, and concepts. How is this Non-Conformity?

Throughout history, "non-conformists" have frequently been shown to be more "conforming" than the average Joe.

Personally, I believe it is a phase that almost all young adults go through, then they buy a Honda Accord, a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath ranch home, have 2.5 kids, and work in Accounts Payable until they are 63.5 years old, then they retire and move to Florida, where they eventually die of skin cancer at 83.7 years old.

Or something like that.

Bob
  15. TheProphet

Oddometer:

Overall, isn't the most "Mainstream" motorcycle a Honda?
  16. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    We can't let reality cloud our prejudices. That would be no fun. :wink:
  17. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Please realize that the tone of my comments was at least partially tongue in cheek.

Point being that regardless of authentic street cred, there are many young people opting into the Harley culture.
  18. portablejohn

portablejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    They do have a pretty complete line up of motorcycles.
  19. zuma

zuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outlaw club members would have to be the biggest conformists of all. Have to do what they're told, have to wear a uniform, have to ride a Harley.
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Selfie?:rofl