I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being "conformist" has everything to do with why you make your decisions, and nothing to do with the actual decisions made. If you're buying make/model _____ for any reason other than it being exactly what you personally like & want, I have some bad news for you.

Hating on things simply because they're popular is about as counter-culture conformist as one can get.
  2. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Could it possibly be that they just happen to like the bikes? I never did understand what negative aimed folks mean by "Culture", Not everyone is magically hypnotized into owning a HD.

Not true about the riding choice. I believe the preference is for "American" motorcycles. Indians and Victories would also be a choice.

In any sport, hobby or past time, there is bound to be some conformity. We all have two wheels, handlebars, a seat, brakes, a drivetrain, and a fuel tank. Is that seen as conformity?

Much like folks that constantly preach "Leadership", "Teamwork", and such pithy crap, the louder - and longer - the speech, the lesser the likelihood that the speaker actually has any of the said qualities.

The more one worries over being a "non-conformist" the less he is likely to be one.
  3. TheProphet

Oddometer:

No, but here's a recent one....

[​IMG]

:eek1
  4. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    They are generally required to own an American made motorcycle of 900 cc's or more. Which opens up quite a few avenues. And support clubs are different. And it varies by Country. And there are certain liberties allowed to prospect's. But please tell us your experience on this subject?
  5. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Judging by the tshirts, hats, bandanas, jackets, belts, belt buckles, jewelry and tattoos on display by said youngsters... I'm thinking they're into more than just the way the bike rides.

Again, all good things for Harley.

Really takes nothing at all to get panties in a bunch around this place, does it?
  6. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely, positively 100% incorrect in thinking that all HD riders collect all the trinkets and baubles.

It is assumed you are attempting to make some point. What is it? Go ahead... don't be afraid.:eek1
  7. sdmichael

sdmichael Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a customer at work today that was working to get his motorcycle license (wearing an HD shirt and stated he has not ridden a motorcycle nor has one). He said he had been unable to as HD didn't have an open class and that "California" wasn't testing, according to the dealership. The point to this? Too many people have gotten to the point they can't see other options. If he truly wanted to get a license, he could search the many options available throughout Southern California, not just one option. Same with motorcycles. There are plenty of options available for motorcycles, even the ones that HD makes. This "real bike", "metric bike", or "clone" bs stems from this. Others can make a motorcycle that is similar and not an attempt at a "clone" or copy.

It isn't the motorcycle company so much as how they have truly diluted their brand. Brand name recognition is a good thing and tough to do. HD has done well with that. However, to do so to the point that you have HD on so many products not remotely related to motorcycles, such as food and jewelry... it really takes away more than it adds. The name "Harley" should not mean "cruiser motorcycle" any more than "Suzuki" should mean "sport bike".

That being said, I really don't care what someone rides, doesn't ride, or wants to ride. I just think it is sad when someone doesn't look at other companies because of the "real bike" and associated bs.
  8. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    Your missing the point. Many feel the bike is the real deal. And the jewelry, etc is just the brand. Some just want "The Brand". And some dont even own a T-shirt. Just the bike. That's where I'm at. Owned them way before it was cool. Suffered thru AMF...dealt with the EVO and all the changes it brought...and still dealing with the twin-cam and all it's shortcomings. I still have other bikes and will be selling various machines in the spring to buy newer Iron. You either love em or hate em. But if you haven't been elbows deep in a shovel or EVO..you really don't have much say here IMHO. Have a nice day.....somewhere else.
  9. EZCruise

EZCruise Banned

Oddometer:

I don't know. Personally I was never into Harley Davidson back when they were running shovel heads. There were way to many better options. Now, I do have a 2014 High Output Twin Cam 103 which I love. I'd rather ride than wrench all the time just to keep the bike running which is why I was never attracted to the older generation Harley Davidson's. The newer ones are a different story and great motorcycles.
  10. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Stopped by my local Harley shop at the suggestion of one of the ADV inmates and picked up a liter of S100. The sales folks were nice enough and were even nice after I said I rode a GS.
  11. EZCruise

EZCruise Banned

Oddometer:
    I find the experience at my local Harley Davidson very positive. It's like a big family in there.
  12. sdmichael

sdmichael Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gosh... such a friendly attitude at that! No. There is no "love them or hate them". There is more than black and white. What does my lack of experience (or interest) in completely taking apart an engine have to do with anything either? I'd rather have a dependable motorcycle than have to work on it all the time. I'm also not trying to knock the motorcycles. I really have no opinion either way on them. Cruisers aren't my thing nor my style of riding. I just think that dilution of a brand name in the manner that HD has done isn't the best idea.
  13. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    You're going to need to show me where I stated that I think "all HD riders collect all the trinkets and baubles", because I haven't.

I've clearly stated my point several times, that the MoCo has a healthy crop of young buyers lined up, and not simply aging geezers as some have suggested.

You are so quick to be defensive that you are trying to draw my conclusions for me. Simmer down big fella, it'll be alright.
  14. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    In fact, if you actually go waaaaaay back to the ORIGINAL POST of this thread and actually read it, you'll realize that my comments are much more on-topic than the dick measuring that has ensued for several hundred posts.
  15. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the US or in the World?
  16. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good Lord Michael, you should see somebody about this stuff... Maybe get professional help? Seriously man, you keep telling us you don't care what anybody rides or wears or sells or buys but yet here you are writing post after post telling us how "sad" this all is. Your friend will be fine, he'll find his own way like all of us do, yet every HD thread on the board, here comes SDMichael telling us about passing an HD on his mountain bike or scooter or sitting next to a throttle blipper at a stoplight or bemoaning the proliferation of HD branded merchandise. You seem like a nice enough fella and I'm sure you're gonna make one hell of a neighborhood curmudgeon some day... I just think you should pace yourself is all.:lol3
  17. sdmichael

sdmichael Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always gotta make a jab at someone... nice. Feel better now? No. I think the myopic view that seems to pervade motorcycle riders of "HD is the only one" is sad. Having a brand name so diluted is sad. If I owned a motorcycle company, I'd want to be known for the bikes, not putting my company logo on everything possible. Sure, promote the brand, but to a point. When it gets to the point of the false superiority that seems to follow it, that is a problem. I thought what I saw today was sad because the potential motorcycle rider was artificially limiting himself for training. He could have been done with it long ago had he not been under the impression that there is only HD.

As to the others... the loudest "throttle blipper" asshole locally, the one that seems to make plenty of noise to do anything he does, rides a Yamaha cruiser. Another, running drag pipes and blasting them at 2am many days a week, rode a Honda.

Try not to be so quick to judge. As you state "Pace yourself".
  18. zuma

zuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Shotzie, I can only call it as I see it here in Australia. Since the resurgence of HD in the eighties with the Evo it's pretty well been exclusively HD in the outlaw clubs here.

There were a few Trumpies to be seen at one point after the remergence of Triumph. I was told by a guy whose son belonged to a well known outfit that his son had bought a Trumpy (Daytona I think it was) which was reluctantly accepted (not Jap crap), but when a couple of others also bought 'em that was it. The President demanded they get rid of them, "this aint a sports bike club, Harleys only from now on". That attitude must have flowed through to all outlaw clubs I suspect, don't see any of them on Trumpies now.

Used to see the odd Buell in an outlaw group, not for some time now though. As for Victory or Indian, yet to see someone wearing colours on one. Old Sonny rides a Victory I believe, doesn't seem to have had any effect here yet.
  19. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    For HD riders isn't the U.S. the only place in the world that matters?
  20. Shotzie

Shotzie Banned

Oddometer:
    I actually agree with you 100%. I had to go to a dealer about 5 months back for a couple of parts, and they had HD branded grills and coolers. Motorcycles seemed almost secondary. I will admit to having a HD coffee mug [it was a gift]