1. eNewsletter Sign Up

I stopped by the Harley Davidson shop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Dec 12, 2014.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 09 Suzuki Wee(pretty popular bike on this website) thinking it would be the perfect bike for my needs...and wound up hating it. Sold it after two months and 2,000 miles. Did I buy it just to post that it was gutless and boring? No, but it was.

What makes any new ADV bike anything different than any new, or for that matter older ADV bike? What makes any new car or truck any different than any other new car or truck?
  2. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    We have a casual bunch of riders. Last long trip was 14 bikes - of all sorts and manufacturers.

Go-fast guys get out front. Slow guys bring up the pack.
    We're all the same at the lunch table.

[​IMG]

Now, even though most of my trips end up being adventures....... I don't think that I actually own an adventure bike - unless I can count that DR650 or the Versys...... although I DID put some of those big aluminum tin cans on the Versys..... and I might have gotten away with it - except that it's "Kawasaki Green" . There's no mistaking that one. I try to park it next to the service door at the local Harley Dealer. Well, until one day that they rolled it onto the show room floor and put a "For Sale" sign on it.
    :rofl
  3. echo15

echo15 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh what the hell, I might as well add my 2 cent's worth.
    Cruisers (including, but not limited to HD) don't work for me because my lower back hurts after an hour with my feet out front (yes, I do know that's backwards from everyone else's experience... take it up with my lumbar spine).
    In several HD dealerships I was dissed because I rode a Buell and wore a helmet.... those guys are asshats no matter what they ride. I have several neighbors who have HDs and put maybe 500 miles a year on them (I average 25,000); these guys ask me when I'm going to get a "real bike." They too are asshats.
    Well, that's everything I've got against HD.
    I ride the bikes I have, because those are the ones I like (and can afford), and that's all that matters.
  4. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    I have the same issue with forwards. I'm in the process of putting mid glides back on mine... just waiting on a few more parts. Forward controls are for idiots who care about what they look like, not putting serious miles down.
    [​IMG]
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering one issue can be easily corrected and the other isn't a manufacturing issue, you really didn't tell us what you don't like with the motor company itself.
  6. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is where the HD haters arguments tend to break down.

If one has only ever owned and ridden a HD than possibly they don't realize how other bikes feel and perform. But when guys have owned several makes and styles and continue to purchase and ride HD products while keeping other bikes......,well this is where the rubber meets the road.

I think the OP and some of the HD haters are under the impression that those of us with HDs have never experienced other bikes which is so not true, spend some time on a HD specific forum, most of the guys there have experience with more than one brand and own other bikes in addition to HDs.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    When are all you HD owners going to buy a real bike? :wink:
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never owned a Harley. Most likely I never will (but who knows?). I have ridden a few Harleys. I can see the appeal. Just because it's not the best bike FOR ME, doesn't make it a bad bike. Not everyone is looking for the same thing in a bike. Some people don't care about the statistics like power to weight ratio, quarter mile times or lean angle. For some people it's just the way the bike feels and the bike that feels right happens to be a Harley. Sure there are some out there who buy a Harley as a status symbol and then go around putting down everyone on "lesser" bikes but that does not describe the Harley riders I have met or known.

For many people a big part of the appeal of owning/riding a motorcyle is the social aspect and being able to do it with others. This is where Harley and Harley dealers really excel compared to other brands.
  9. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    Where were we?

Harley Dealerships?

Oh yeah.

OK, so can we agree that (generally speaking) that the Harley Dealerships are more rider friendly and free coffee -n- stuff and that they organize a lot of events -n- rides -n- stuff ? That maybe their customers feel more welcome (again, generally speaking) than do the customers of metric motorcycle dealers?

Discuss this among yourselves.

Pop quiz on Monday.

:y0!

:evil
  10. HLC

HLC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've personally owned and had a lot of fun riding bikes by BMW, KTM, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, and Triumph. All great bikes in their own ways. Still, if I were limited to having only one bike, it would be my ten year old HD Softail Deuce. FWIW, this has nothing to do with me valuing the Harley camaraderie that many folks appreciate or looking for opportunities to dress like a pirate (which i don't, but as Seinfeld would say there's nothing wrong with that). I simply like my HD best. Peace.
  11. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    OP's statement:
    It appears that you've failed your own quiz.

The OP statement (See first quote)was that only folks 60+ years old are in HD dealerships, and that in 20 years he felt that this would present a problem.

Problem was: He only visited one dealer for a short period of time, in the winter in Oklahoma, and he was assuming that in 20 years, there would be no 60+ year olds to purchase motorcycles.

Both statements have been proven unfounded, or at the least very unlikely. Actual verifyable data dictates that the statements concerning the HD demographics are 100% false.

What do I get for passing the quiz???:y0!
  12. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    How can I fail my own quiz? I have the answer key ! :evil

What do you get? I dunno. I gotta get back to you on that one.

I could send you a Missouri Motorcycle license plate to hang on your wall.

:D
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I've owned a pair of Harleys, and I have numerous issues with the brand.

Half of it is the MoCo, the other half is the fucking owners.:lol3 There is a lot of social baggage that comes along with that shield, I'd as soon not deal with it.
  14. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    The Plate would be nice, but I'm 60+ and apparently too feeble and weak to hang it up on my wall. How about a bottle of Geritol and a Bran Muffin?:gerg
  15. HDforlife

HDforlife Knarly Bad Ass

Oddometer:
    #1: I like mine because it makes me look good in my ass-less chaps!
    #2: HondaKawiSuziYamaha tattoos, belt buckles, do-rags, ect. just look stupid.
  16. HDforlife

HDforlife Knarly Bad Ass

Oddometer:
    Pants?
  17. TheProphet

Oddometer:

What did the MoCo do to you personally?

Why care so much about what other owners and riders do? Why not just relax and enjoy yourself.

Do you feel the need to carry other riders "social" baggage? What is that anyway?

If you hated HD's so much, why did you buy two?

Slow learner? Seems as though you tried twice, but couldn't fit in?
  18. TheProphet

Oddometer:
    :y0!

Frontless Chaps! :evil
  19. przjohn

przjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If Metric Cruisers cost as much as a Harley they would be dead in the water.
  20. Buzz363

Buzz363 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If they could sell them for the price of a comparable Harley they would. It's what the market will bear. Don't understand the Harley hatred here. I go on HD forums and guys aren't badmouthing other brands.