I Think I Might Build Me An RV...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Nailhead, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camel straights were the carpenter’s smoke, we shared them on the job site. I preferred unfilteredTurkish cigarettes but they were expensive.
    Nailhead likes this.
  2. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    Roads are dry, just 45 mph winds. Those combined with 85mph speeds made for a very thirsty Cummins. We’re home now, girl doing good.
    Nailhead, WARRIORPRINCEJJ and marret like this.
  3. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Got some welding & painting done, pix to follow mañana.

You ever concentrate so hard on one thing to the point your mind won’t let it go? I can’t stop seeing the wire leading the puddle, back & forth, back & forth...

Gotta turn that camper frame over & run the top welds.

I can’t wait...
    WYO George likes this.
  4. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Saturday, I started in on the camper frame construction with this task:

IMG_0978.JPG

It’s a great way to get really dirty.

With the side & back rails sanded, I welded them on, and then painted the tops & whatever other areas I had enough paint in my bucket to cover.

IMG_0979.JPG

We then installed the rear bulkhead in Harry’s Terra with a Porta-Power.

IMG_0980.JPG

Took about a half hour, way less than we thought it might.
    marret and WYO George like this.
  5. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Sunday brought a task we’d been dreading ever since starting the frame construction upside down: time to turn it over.

A bull-headed old man doing some rigging while another helps out:

IMG_0981.JPG

Up we go:

IMG_0983.JPG

And over:

IMG_0985.JPG

We set the frame aside & moved the old flatbed for its ride halfway around the block for storage.

IMG_0986.JPG

Out the door:

IMG_0987.JPG

And on its way:

IMG_0988.JPG

I’d love to put this Ford 300-6 in my M715. It’s in Harry’s wood chipper right now:

IMG_0989.JPG

Welding & painting completed, frame done:

IMG_0990.JPG

Next time, we’ll set it on the truck to free up the floor space.
    marret, vtwin, MrBob and 2 others like this.
  6. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Some undercoating fun:

IMG_0992.JPG

The weather this week is supposed to be really nice, so I went & tried to find some foam roller sleeves for this Purdy roller frame I have. They don’t make a foam one, just a 1/4” nap sleeve, so I hope that works for the R&T method.
    keepshoveling and WYO George like this.
  7. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to watching that painting video, it was impressive.
    Nailhead and WYO George like this.
  8. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    It looks deceptively easy.
  9. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Ok, today I decided it was time to paint those fenders, do-or-die. The paint and the fuel tank(s) have become the primary roadblocks now that the camper support frame is essentially complete. The ball has to stay rolling. I’m sick of lying awake at night obsessing on it.

I rounded up roller, brush, paint, thinner, and a piece of gutter coil for testing.

After a few test runs trying the R&T technique with a couple of different paint-to-thinner mixtures, I was seeing some some encouraging results and decided to move to a fender because the days have gotten a lot shorter.

What resulted looked like bad skin condition, and that was it— I was done with the charade: this truck gets the paint it gets, applied the way it’s going to be applied. What’s more...or less, really... is that I’m shit-canning the clear coat idea: I’ve had little success making that work on a matte finish, and at this point, I figure the less finish work I take on, the less I can fuck up. I’ll do the rain gutters, let the qualified make the vehicles pretty.

The underwhelming results of months of research & inquiry:

IMG_1002.JPG

At least rust will find it more difficult to gain a foothold.
  10. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Damnit Chris, I was hoping you had it whupped. I would have offered you my paint booth, but I sold my shop a while back and now have to rent a booth for my side work.
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks George, I just had to get this paint monkey off my back. I'm sick of worrying, obsessing, wondering about it. I don't have the skills to do what I envisioned, time to accept that and move on.

It has a mild bedliner texture that I actually kind of like, so there's that.
    cprbusa and WYO George like this.
  12. WYO George

Oddometer:
    On the upside, you can enjoy it more without stressing over scratches while camping!
    Nailhead and RedRocket like this.
  13. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    True that, George.

After a night’s drying time, that texture has cured into a look I really like.
    WYO George likes this.
  14. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Since there's nothing going on the IH front, I thought we'd take a little side trip.

Remember that pic of the 300-6 above, the one where I mentioned I'd like to put it in the M715?

That got more appealing about 1/2 hour ago, when I was trying to remove the distributor from the Jeep and found it it's stuck in there.

Why am I attempting to remove it, you might ask? I was driving it home from my sister's the other night, out on a last drive before a snow storm & the road salt hit, and it just quit-- went from running great to dead in about 100 yds. After a ride home in a tow truck, it sat until the Pertronix that I thought it needed arrived and was installed. I cranked it some, and after noticing it wasn't developing any oil pressure I popped the cap and had my GF crank the engine while the rotor just sat there, still.

This afternoon, I decided to dig into it, and this is where I am now: a distributor that will come out only about 3/8", and no desire to remove the timing chain cover I'm dreading I'll have to, since there is dust & leaves blowing all over the place and no hope of working on this thing inside.

I'm awaiting ideas from M715 Zone members at this point, hoping for good news.
  15. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Damn.

ironically, we had the cam gear break on my Dad’s 300-6 in Paxton Nebraska on our way out to Laramie for me to attend WyoTech back in the 90’s. We changed that gear in a motel parking lot with temps in the teens.
    Nailhead likes this.
  16. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    Never heard of one breaking on those bullet-proof engines.
  17. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Well, now you have! :D

Anything can break, and when it does, it will probably be in Paxton, Nebraska with the temperature in the teens. :vardy
    vtwin and WYO George like this.
  18. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I wasn't saying it was common, just that it happened and thought it was ironic that it's the only time that truck stranded us in almost 300,000 miles and it was for the same type problem that Chris is wanting to swap one in to fix!

Yes, anything can and will eventually break. This 300 eventually burned up a piston after the cat plugged up at 296,000 miles. We had a spare low mileage, roller cam EFI 5.0 laying around so we swapped it in since it was a simple swap on an '87 F-250, didn't even have to change the computer. Since those are batch fired we just spliced in two extra injector plugs and that was all it took to do the swap.

Chris, you'll get it figured out soon I'm sure. In the meantime stay warm, it's been an ugly weekend.
    Nailhead and HapHazard like this.
  19. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ugh. Stupid cardboard timing gear. Who thought that was a good idea? Broke one on my '75 F100 back when I was a teenager, fixed it in the apartment parking lot. Had to heat the crank gear to get it installed because I barely had any tools, so oven at 450 degrees, gear on the top rack for 20 minutes, and then run downstairs juggling it in oven mitts out to the truck.
    WYO George and Nailhead like this.
  20. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    Which motor does your M715 have in it now?