I Think I Might Build Me An RV...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Nailhead, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    That sounds familiar, George: Harry & I put a rebuilt 727 in my M886 in winter, on a concrete driveway in the hills west of Wheatland where the wind really howls. We had to warm our hands over the wood stove about every 15 minutes. Got it done as the snow started to pile up. Had a 203 to put in after as a happy-hour bonus.

WyoTech in the '90's? I looked into that in 1994, but decided I should finish up at CSU. There's a lot about that decision I regret.
    WYO George likes this.
  2. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    230 OHC 6. This is the first problem I've had with it in over 1500 miles of trouble-free motoring. :D
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ and WYO George like this.
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    maybe in the 90's it was useful. the 3 people I've hired since 2006 that came out of Wyotech or UTI i had to send packing back home to their mommy's. oh man, i mean, i know I'm an asshole, and i have a very hard time dealing with training people, but if i had to hear one more time "how my instructor taught me to do this was....." i was gunna lose it.

i pissed away any college opportunities i had, mom couldn't afford to send me anywhere, even if i had a scholarship for half of it, so i learned the old school way, went to a shop, picked up a mop, and kept my eyes and ears open.
    scot_douglas and nevermind like this.
  4. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I went before they sold out and started adding extra campuses all around the place. I grew up working in my Dad's shop, but wanted to open a few extra doors so that's why I saved up and went to school for more. The expectations that someone comes out of school fully ready to work is laughable regardless of the field. You come out of school with (hopefully) the basics down so that you learn at a faster rate when you start working. It's been my experience that both the graduates and the employers usually have the wrong expectations regarding this.

Still, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you had issues with the people, that seems to be a common thing for you. I'm guessing it's just the poor choice of workers where you live (based solely on what you've mentioned many times).

My folks paid exactly zero of my schooling, they couldn't even afford the gas money to drive out to see me, I paid it all from money saved working two jobs between high school and tech school and then working 30+ hours a week while going to school for 40+ hours a week. I took out student loans and then paid them off within three years of graduating, unlike the kids now who take out student loans and pay $50 a month on them so they are still in debt when they are about due to retire. . .
  5. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    the crop of "kids" around me don't want to get their fingernails dirty.

i expect absolutely ZERO from a new hire, except basic knowledge and a dash of common sense. if i say push, don't pull, etc.

hired a new guy last week, he had worked with his dad (now deceased) in his shop back in Minnesota, but had moved out here 8 or so years ago for something new. i gotta say, a week in, and i don't wanna strangle the guy. he's pretty switched on, can take direction with minimal explanation, and isn't afraid to ask when he doesn't know something or what to do next.

end of the first week he thanked me for not being full of a bunch of bullshit haha. heres to hoping.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  6. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    ^That's because he's "Minnesota nice", not some "West Coast a-hole".:lol3
  7. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    :photog

i get that too.

see, i don't have to do the hiring and firing, its not my shop, i just kinda steer the ship. so the boss hires em.

last 2 hires, one came very recommended, but he had a ridiculous attitude about EVERYTHING. lasted about 3 months, and thats about 6 weeks longer than when i told the boss i was thru with him.

other kid, i knew since he was 10yrs old, played ball with my kid brother. i told the boss not to hire him, that he wouldn't wanna do this long term, cuz thats how the kids been since little league. i struggled my ass off, buying him tools, loaning him mine, showing him everything i could, walking thru the jobs with him, and after TWO FUCKING YEARS, he finally was getting it. 2 years is way too long, but he's a nice kid, he did some dumb shit in those two years too, shit i woulda been fired over if i was in his shoes, but the boss kept him on. anyways, after 2 years he was finally getting to the point of making us money, that lasted about 6 weeks, then he quit to go do something else. :imaposer:imaposer
    HapHazard likes this.
  8. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I trained maybe 30 new-hires in my 7 years in the oilfield, and got to the point I could tell who’d make a hand about 30 seconds after I met them.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ and villageidiot like this.
  9. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    What were the tells?
  10. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear

I once got hired at a plastic injection shop because I was the only interviewee that kept up on the fast walking plant tour.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  11. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    The lack of a sense of smell would also be a leg up in that environment! :puke1
  12. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Someone who listened to instruction, asked what they needed to do next, had questions about the process was likely going to work out. The ones who showed up with an attitude that they knew all they needed to know were the ones I dreaded training, and they were the more common type. I even called my supervisor once or twice to tell him to get that kind of trainee off my rig because they weren't paying me nearly enough to do solids control & babysit at the same time.
    cprbusa, keepshoveling and WYO George like this.
  13. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying it didn't happen - I'm sure it did, but it seems crazy to me to come onto a work site like that without being super humble and, you know, wanting to know how to get the job done without dying or, worse, doing it wrong.
  14. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I had one trainee who kept wandering off on his own in the first day or two he was on a rig. A drilling location can be a really dangerous place for the uninitiated, and I as the training hand was responsible for his safety. I reminded him of both (it was in the first minute of my boilerplate spiel I'd mentioned these...) as I was dressing him down for his wandering, and it was his reaction that really got me: he was insulted and quite angered I had the gall to get on him about not following instruction.

He lasted about a year, getting fired after being run off a location, getting drunk, and coming back to get in the company man's face for running him off.
  15. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Chris, I bet you've seen a few "Remember Charlie " videos.
  16. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Can’t say as I have— that doesn’t ring a bell.

Care to elaborate?
  17. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Cycle61 and Nailhead like this.
  18. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
  19. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    I knew a guy who was up for one of two USPS maintenance jobs. Of the forty people interviewed, him and one other guy were the only ones who passed the piss test.
  20. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there’s that, too.