I thought i was a gonner

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by MATTY, Apr 6, 2019.

1. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    We needed some mushrooms for Bolognaise earlier tonight, i said i would drive into town and get them. it was dusk i grabbed the car keys and went out front noticed my mates Suzuki bandit 600 was still out on the drive ( i welded his exhaust today) So i went back inside to get garage keys and thought why not go on the suzuki, got helmet keys and set off up lane onto main road gets up to 60mph checking miror nothing there split second later wham there is a silver VW golf must have been doing 110 mph missed me by inches no idea where he come from next thing i know i am looking at a white vauxhall vivaro van on my side of the road swerving all over the place heading straight for me, im up the grass verge which was narrow and considerably higher than the road totally out of control hits the bank near the hedge and i am sideways and back on road heading for the side of a volvo xc90 slewed across the road missed that by inches and managed to stop. WOW! lucky or what.
    The idiot in golf had lost control on corner after he passed me gone into path of van van swerved Volvo following did same and i am now in the middle of all this mayhem seconds after he nearly took me out. .
    How i avoided that little lot is beyond me i must have somebody up there who likes me. The VW driver must have been on drugs drunk or something of the sort, totally mental speed for where he was braking hard unsettling the car as he hit the bend no wonder it ran wide, risking his own life others in his car if there were any van driver his daughter and the family of four in the volvo.4x4 . and all for what? i sat by the roadside with my head in my hands the chap in the van was furious we had all been pitched into this trouble by the wreckless actions of another who had long gone leaving us all bewildered.
    I was ok bike was fine and we all lived to tell the tale, and i got the mushrooms .
    But i will say here and now Here by the grace of god go I .
    nk14zp, ramblin66, Foiler and 6 others like this.
  2. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
  3. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    :roflIt was not bolognaise that was flowing let me tell you adrenalin never smelled that bad before..:lol2
    Motonirvana and Huzband like this.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the VW driver have the decency to crash, or did he skedaddle on down the road?
    MATTY likes this.
  5. Maxafrica

Maxafrica n00b

Oddometer:
    The REAL problem is putting Mushrooms in Bolognese.... VW driver was probably an Italian trying to stop you doing a murder of an italian recipe.... ;-)
  6. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    No he did not crash he just kept right on going, The speed he was travelling was insanity for the road . Was a bad experience and i think we all needed to be great full we were not killed or injured. It was close for me not had anything quite like that before without colliding or being thrown off. the hedge was hawthorne and if i had gone into that at 50 to 60 mph i would have been in a bad way , hitting the van head on would not have done me much good either.
    I count myself incredibilly lucky to have got away unscathed .
  7. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    :lol2 Not traditionalists mattys clan , the Roman invasion of 55 bc never got this far Hadrian s wall is south of us, its wild in the borders we only just started cooking meat up here we used to just warm it up under the saddles of horses until recently. :lol2:rofl
    Souljer, ZBM2-AR, garfey and 4 others like this.
  8. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid me my farther and my little sister, sister was in front seat I was in back seat behind her in a station wagon. At intersection just before I decided to get in front seat between my sister and farther we get to next intersection look both ways and to the right can see about 150 yards before cant see over crest of hill and absolutely nothing coming, well we get half way across road and BAM. Lady hit the door I was just at and we did a couple circles before coming to rest against the side of a house. No idea how fast she was going but that much smaller car pushed that big heavy station wagon around like a rag doll. Had I still been sitting were I always sat and was just moments before(sister always had front seat) I'd be dead for sure, no seatbelts in those days (late 60's maybe 70). As it was I don't believe any of us was hurt, maybe bruises.
    MATTY likes this.
  9. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    very lucky . Its surprising the number of incredible near misses people have, a few times had things happen i had no control over the outcome but incredibly escaped unscathed.
    Mountainhound likes this.
  10. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Glad you weren’t hurt.
    Glad the OP wasn’t injured. Had one accident myself right before Christmas. Some bimbo pulled out of a store right into me. Sideswiped her van at 55 MPH and by some miracle do not go down. $11k damage to my bike, the van had to be towed away and I walked away with only a fractured patella because the impact bent my engine guard into my right leg. The engine guard and my armored pants saved me front a probable serious leg injury. My guardian angel was surely watching over me. (Again)
    zundappuk and MATTY like this.
  11. Souljer

Souljer Recycling Electrons

Oddometer:
    Sometimes strange things happen...
    [​IMG]

Before and after this happened to me, I was a fan of rider education and practice. I got a lot of static on my thread about this when I posted the videos. It's true I did not have time to do much, but I know I was thinking of a way out and focusing on an exit rather than the threats.

In all the close calls I've been through (this is the only one I captured on video), I always got through it by instinct, practice and habit. Those things do most of the work. I think my conscious mind can only make some early observational choices and most of the work is done by whatever technique you practice. Now if you never practice anything then it's a lot of luck and what ever skills you have some other way.

I think of it as similar to sports.
    When someone passes the ball, you don't start telling every muscle to do certain exact things. Most of that is on autopilot and you are already moving in the correct direction and speed to intercept the pass. Your conscious mind is looking for goals, defenders, boundary lines, etc. That kind of ability comes from focus and practice on techniques and training.

Good job staying aware and in control. It sounds like you were always looking for a way out and away from the various threats.
    In my case as I'm sure yours, there was no time to be scared. Something happened, we did our best to stay clear and it was over in 2 seconds. Remember what you did that worked and practice that.

Stay Sharp & Stay Up
    Cheers.
    MATTY likes this.