I want a good camera setup.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FPGT72, Jun 19, 2019.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well just had a face plant (see I hate deer) and the _________ __________ __________ _________
    (hurt too bad to type much) cameras I had failed hard.

Halo cam on the bike....recorded the video at the time the bike stopped moving.....citizen comes up....you see him running up on the back cam...you can hear me say....I hit a damn dear.

I am not sure how long I was there before I came to....but no video of the crash at all....pissed.

GoPro Hero7 black, on the helmet, gone....the "case" you put the camera in broke and the camera was no where to be found....zero video.

Looking for a good video setup.....don't want to plow through 1000 threads, I am on day two of a headache, and not being able to breathe without hurting sucks.
  2. krassh

krassh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I've never got a deer (thankfully), I understand what you're going through. In the 35+ years I've been riding, I've been in 3 accidents. The first was a solo accident, caused by gravel on the highway. Thankfully, damage (to the bike, and myself) was minimal. As for the other two accidents, one was 'questionable' as to who was at fault (it should have been classified a "no-fault" accident), while the other was, most definitely, the other driver's fault. Unfortunately, I was labeled "at fault" in both matters. Had my motorcycle had a good (better yet, great) 2-channel dashcam, video would have provided the "no-fault" & "other driver at fault" proof that I needed.

There are numerous choices available for single & 2-channel dashcams for 4-wheeled vehicles...so why does it seem like there aren't any truly good choices for 2-wheeled vehicles? Are motorcycles "less important" than cars & trucks? Are motorcycles riders "less important" than drivers of 4-wheeled vehicles? Why are motorcycles riders treated like "second-class citizens", not only by law enforcement (the ones who write the accident reports, where "fault" is determined), but also by our own insurance companies (they'll 'fight' for you if you were driver of a 4-wheeled vehicle, but they rarely do if you were the motorcycle rider), as well as by manufacturers who produce products for both 2-wheeled & 4-wheeled vehicles?

As motorcycle riders, we need to be offered the same quality choices as those driving 4-wheeled vehicles. We have great choices for luggage (especially for those riding touring & sport-touring bikes). We have excellent GPS choices. We even have a fairly good selection of alarm system. So, once again, why don't we have at least a reasonable selection of dashcam (especially 2-channel) systems?
  4. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Little update....they found the gopro....a hero7 black....so a camera that has some weight behind it.

Same deal....a little bit of me riding, then it is recording the grass. This is so odd....on two different systems, one on the bike one on my helmut.

Talked to the guys at work and they said the camera looked fine....must have landed in the grass....I don't remember if the mount stayed on the helmet or it broke....I do know the mount broke.

Wife said it was my guardian angle and it did not want to get taped....I should have been hurt worse but really came out pretty good for what happened.

Muscle relaxer is helping with the neck....first thig past asprin I have taken....no more pills for this cowboy if I can help it.
  5. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure about the Thinkware M1. Don't get me won't...Thinkware makes excellent dashcams for 4-wheeled vehicles. My second dashcam was a Thinkware F770, which I just recently upgraded to their new Q800 Pro (I'll be installing the F770 in my wife's car). However, the specs on the M1 are too low. 1089p @ only 30fps. Honestly, at 1080p, it NEEDS to be at least 60fps. The mount design is excellent (the M1 isn't the only MC-oriented dashcams to use that style), and the EIS is a plus...but, unless they (at least) double the framerate, it won't do. The same is true of the Halocam M1, the VSYSTO P6F, the Bkueskysea DV688, and even the INNOVV K2 (which offers an IP68 waterproofing, compared to the IP67 of most others).
  6. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any ideas on why both these systems basically cut out at the moment of impact, the Halo there was zero video of the day....the only thing it saw was the bike laying still on the side of the road.

From what the office tells me is the gopro has some files leading up to the crash, but the crash file is gone....it then films the grass till the battery died.

Could the impact have screwed them both up?
  7. Operator7G

Operator7G Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible that the power connection to the HaloCam was loose, and it didn't power on initially, but then it powered on when the impact jiggled the connection? Can't really explain why the GoPro file would be gone. Even if it were corrupted, I would expect some kind of file to be there.
  8. Alexol

Alexol Chronic Farkoholic

Oddometer:
    South La., where I-10 has a curve. One curve.
    Thinkware M1 installed, but not tested yet on R1200RT.

Easy installation:

1. Main unit under the seat

2. Connect front cam to main unit

3. Connect rear cam to main unit

4. Connect main unit to switched power source (Centech in my case)

Done.

1 - install frt cam.jpg

2 - install rear cam.jpg

3 - install cpu under seat.jpg

4 - install control unit on clutch reservoir.jpg

5 - front view.jpg

6 - front side view.jpg

7 - front side view detail.jpg

8 - rear view.jpg
  9. krassh

krassh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if the GPS function of your M1 ever starts working mine is still just shows connecting never any data.
  10. Alexol

Oddometer:
    Thats not encouraging. Will report back, although how it will receive signal through a large section of me (looking straight down) and the seat, I'm not sure.

For my purposes, gps would be nice but isn't essential so I'm not going to worry about it much. Would be disappointing if it doesn't work though..
  11. krassh

krassh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've been in touch with tech support the last firmware update was suppose to fix but no-go. Haven't heard back from them since my last update to them that firmware didn't resolve.

I asked them where the antenna was located but they didn't respond to that question. You'd think it would be in one of the camera's or the wires remote seeing as the main unit is recommended to be placed under the seat.
  12. Alexol

Oddometer:
    Might be worth calling - I had a question, got a half answer by email but got better info when speaking to someone.

Like all these things, the instructions are so-so, leaving questions unanswered. For example, what are the USB ports for on the main unit. Answer: for manufacturing/reflashing, basically nothing to do with the end user. So why not add a line to the destructions to say that? Ditto for the night brightness feature: "you can leave it enabled full time". If that is really so, then why have it as an option at all?
  13. krassh

krassh Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Alexol

Oddometer:
    Just curious, my reason EIS was off?

Video looks pretty good!
  15. krassh

krassh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could have sworn I had it turned on. Some of the videos show it on for the same day I never messed with settings. Another issue I'll have to include on my list. At least with one of the recent app updates I can manually set my time since the GPS isn't updating.

My first videos the date was a month behind and the time wasn't close either.