I Want A Pair Of Boots, That Do It All !!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FREDO RIDER, Jun 12, 2006.

1. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good concept, clunky look. MX rider I know loves the suckers.
  2. Will DaBeast

Will DaBeast Go United

Oddometer:
    I've had the Oxtar Matrix now TCX x-Five for about 5 years now. I love them. Super comfy, I wear them at work all day, and totally waterproof. I've been in some ridiculus rainstorms, last night was one of them, and my feet were totally dry. They also have a shin protector and heel and ankle protection.
  3. atFault

atFault Logical Positivist

Oddometer:
    Great thread,I read the whole. An enormous amount of boot specific information here so I felt this was the best place to ask.

I picked up a pair of BMW Rallye 2 GS boots. They fit well, have decent protection and are comfortable to walk in. I considered the Discoverys and the Crossfires, but none to try on in town. Also, the Discoverys don't have the same type of protection and the Crossfires were more than I was able to afford.

So, here is my issue: the boots don't fit under my pants and the pants don't really work inside the boot. The pants are the Olympia Airglide pants. Even without the waterproof liners the pants are so tight over the boots that I'm pretty sure it will damage the pants quickly.

I can change the boot, but I still want similar ankle and shin protection, which I think will lead me back to a boot like the Crossfires and the same issue. Or I can change the pants, but these pants are very impressive for the money and the type of riding I do.

Any suggestions on something I can try to make this combo work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  4. crash50

crash50 Idaho Back Country

Oddometer:
    I used the Oxtars, but then had some extra money a month ago and tried on a pair of White firefighting boots. 12 inch uppers, real solidly built, but they are expensive. About $330 bones, but after the painful break-in, they are amazing. They are not for everyone, bu I like them.
  5. hiflynbrd

hiflynbrd I know that shortcut

Oddometer:
    Who makes them?
  6. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Contact AnnieGS. I'll bet it's a simple fix.

http://motostitch.com/

Sarah

8. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I just pulled the trigger on some TCX Infinity boots over on the Flea Market. They seem like the Sidi On Road, but with more substantial protection (for road boots), and are pretty well-regarded. I'll have done good if they fit right. If not, back on the Flea Market with them.

I read earlier in this thread that the Infinity can actually be resoled. That's great news, but I wonder what process is invovled?
  9. rinconrider

rinconrider Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer:
    love my tcx (oxtar) infinity boots for all around. only thing is i have smashed my foot a little doing rocky trails (more like motox). they don't have super top of the foot protection, from my injury experience. or maybe my foot hyperextended (folded) in them, hard to be sure.

but i will commute in them every day no problem.

wes
  10. WhistlingFool

WhistlingFool Dixie!? I know a Dixie...

Oddometer:
    My TCX tried to eat me... the left lower buckle arm snapped off at the hinge point. IN the middle of West bygawd Texas and I can't get the boot OFF!!.. I had to attach it with the vise grips...

I declare the buckle system flawed!!

( what the hell is it they call on Southpark, when the fair guys start cheating??!?!?)
  11. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe the phrase for which your are looking is: "I declare Shenanigans"
    Per Officer Barbrady, however, this is not to be declared willy nilly.

Everybody get your brooms . . . .
  12. WhistlingFool

WhistlingFool Dixie!? I know a Dixie...

Oddometer:
    Yeah .. That's it!!

Buckles in general are a bit suspect in my mind.. my previous set of Oxtar Matrix had in inner zipper and two velcro flaps, on the inside... where as the Infinities have the flap and buckles on the outside of the foot... if they are going to put buckles on, make them out of sterner stuf than abs...

Yes... the original utterance was STan's in his first attempt at callign Shenanigans.. ...... what a great concept.. imagine a few hundred people showing up at the union fair declaring shenanagins.. with brooms... in three part harmony...
  13. JR Greenhorn

JR Greenhorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second that on the White's. I've had my pair for a few years now, and I absolutely love them. The fit is so much better than anything I've ever experienced (after the brutal break-in, of course). Make sure to get your foot properly measured (arch length, not toe length, and proper width) by a competent shop before buying.

The leather is heavy enough that I'm confident they would provide good abrasion protection on asphalt, but no impact protection and ankle support is only what's afforded by the heavy leather construction and tight fit.
  14. Constipated Face

Constipated Face Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any dual-sport boot that comes with an ankle torsion control structure, like the one on the Puma 1000?:ear
  15. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    I'm also interested in a good Dual Sport boot that is water proof up to at least my shin. I'm 6'4" :D
  16. Zacharia_11

Zacharia_11 11th Assassin

Oddometer:
    So lots of info on boots. Thought the choice would be pretty easy, after all they are just boots right?... Hmmm, I am currently an HD rider who is getting into a GS in the new year. I had the feeling my current boots probably wouldn't cut it for the type of riding I am buying the bike for.

I am currently rolling with these bad boys:
    Tourmasters 'Vintage Road Boot' - 'HD Cool' and mostly kept my feet dry. But my initial belief that they were somewhat inadequate has been more than reaffirmed thru this 'delightful'? thread.
    [​IMG]
    So after a realllllly long read I have pretty much settled on the Vendramini. I'll just need to order them when the wife's not home. :uhoh

Here's some back ground on me in case you feel like chiming in. I am fairly new to motorcycles and motorcycling and the only time I have been off road was when I pulled over into the gravel on my springer. But, damn it looks like fun. Even so I probably won't wander off tarmac too often, primarily commute to and from work, weekend road trips with the wife and the occasional 'back road' camping trips.

So the boot that I think fits my bill is one that:
    1. Offers crash protection. (Prior to this thread I figure if it covers your ankle and is leather, or leather substitute, your good).
    2. Comfortable to walk in. Weekend road trips are usually destination driven and often end up walking thru the city, town or parks we are riding too.
    3. Water Proof. Initially a fair-weather rider I find that, with the right gear I am able to enjoy riding much more often. I like that!
    4. Built to last. Damn! for the $$$ most of these boots cost they better be durable!
    5. Could manage some light to moderate off tarmac use. My wife still rides a sportser so no single track... till I get her off the sportster...
    6. My sense of style is such that many of the boots I have seen look more like ski boots to me. I want something that looks like a normal boot (at least as normal as you can get with good protection). :dood
    7. I would wear my boots at work if they were comfortable enough. Wore the above Vintage boots at work np. I also have no problem changing into some comfortable shoes either...
    I have read some positive reviews on the Marathon's in this thread. Wondered if other have tried some of their other products and could comment on them.

Vendramini Daytona's @275. The cheapest of the bunch.
    Adequate reinforcements?
    Touring boot - thoughts on the boot for off tarmac use?
    [​IMG]
    Vendramini CapeTown's @299.
    Again I don't read about any steal reinforcements?
    Perhaps lacking in the crash protection department?
    [​IMG]
    Vendramini Marathon Steel's @399. Well reviewed in this thread and well received by those that have reviewed them.
    Adequate for off tarmac use?​
    [​IMG]
    Vendramini Desert Alp Elephant @599. :tb I am pretty sure the scene at my house would resemble this shortly after the OL got home... :pain.
    I do believe that this boot has most of what I am looking for sans the 'wear them at work'. But I am cool with that compromise. Love to hear from some one with this boot. Maybe you could be me lunch and we could discuss your boots :)
    [​IMG]

Can any one sell me on those Elephants? :eek1
    ... or have anything to say about the other boots listed here. Its possible I missed any previous reviews on them as I really only saw them after reading/skimming the thread and searching out the Marathon Steels on the BikerWorld website.

---Edit---
    Some Related AdvRider Threads:----Edit #2: Just when you thought you had it sorted----

Umm... these are nice... SIDI Adventure Gortex
    *Water Resistant when bought in the USA.... damn...
    *Waterproof if bought thru Europe! (Gortex vs. Non-Gortex)
  17. CGameProgrammer

CGameProgrammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear AlpineStar Ridge boots. I'm wearing them now even though I'm 2500 miles from my motorcycle. They're waterproof, fasten and unfasten very simply with velcro, are easy and comfortable to walk in, and look innocuous enough that I wear them to work if commuting on my bike (or if it's raining). There is a small reflective silver patch on the back, and the litle red thing seen in the picture, but otherwise they look like normal black shoes when worn with pants over them.
  18. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Have you considered the TCX Infinity? They have the look you seem to be after, are waterproof, and more protective than the usual touring boots (without being too clunky). Decent to walk in, too.
  19. Zacharia_11

Zacharia_11 11th Assassin

Oddometer:
    Yup, you pretty much nailed the look I am after, some what inconspicuous, but don't mind looking like a motorcycle boot. These are the same as the BMW, no?

Oxtar Infinity vs. BMW Savanna, Are they the same? Judge for your self.

They were on my list, in the early half of this thread. I don't really know boots, except from what I have read in reviews and forums. The problem with that is the more I read the more I want to dress like a storm trooper! I talked to the wife a bit about my new boots choices today, and luckily she is right on board with the whole 'safer boot' concept. She's finikcy some times when buying stuff for motorcycles, but shes very receptive to protective gear.

Those Sidi Adventure Gore-tex (Not the Rain Version) are looking like a top contender. I'll wear pants over top so from the pant cuff down, they look inconspicuous enough I think.

Probably more so than Fredo's Sidi Disco's (Shown Below):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I would expect the Sidi Adv to look very similar to those Disco's
    They are pretty new, I think the guys in the UK can get them now.

*Seem to have:
    • More crash protection than the Verndramini's ++
    • Retain a flexible ankle for walking & shifting +/-
      • I think the Verndramini's would probably be more comfortable for walking.
    • Gore-Tex 100% Waterproof same as the Verndraminis I am considering
    • Will they Squeak like I have heard other Sidi's do? -
  20. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Bought these today. Comfortable, well built, protective, waterproof, and doesn't look like part of a Power Ranger outfit.