I Want A Pair Of Boots, That Do It All !!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FREDO RIDER, Jun 12, 2006.

1. kluoto

kluoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since I don't own a cage, I'm in my Danner boots constantly. I actually get compliments on them........:clap
    JustinOther likes this.
  2. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the Daytona Trans Open GTX http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=813 , top quality and can work on almost any type of bike/riding. Comfortable and water proof.

But just bought SIDI Crossfire TA and must say way more flexible than other mx boots I've had, and expect it to be even better when broken in some more. Would actually consider them for touring though not waterproof. The Daytonas should be safe (and crash tested twice without any issues) but SIDIs are of course unbeatbale there.
  3. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my Adventure Gore-Tex boots for $300/shipped, granted still a good chunk of change but no where near as ridiculous as the price you quoted. German vendors are the way to go.
  4. firejosh

firejosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    300 shipped? Do tell...please...link please?
  5. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got mine from FC-Moto but I would recommend biker-land.de as long as you don't need larger than a size EU 47 (I did so that wasn't an option). They look like they are about $350/shipped from biker-land and $362/shipped from FC-Moto right now. It just depends on the currency conversion, I got lucky and got them for $300/shipped. Shipping took just under 4 weeks for me from FC-Moto.
  6. 00 RK

00 RK n00b

Oddometer:
    I ride in danner's everyday and keep shoes at work to change into. Danner's are really comfortable for me. Do well in heat, as well as a boot can anyway and no complaints in the cold.
  7. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Danners. I switch between several pair I own. The most comfortable are either the very well worn Rainforest's or the Ft. Lewis'.
  8. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Amazing, after all these years and all these posts there's not been a mention of Bates. I'm currently on a quest to find the perfect boot and came across these. Looks like some very decent possibilities here if you don't mind going with a lace-up design.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/Riding-Collection

Followup: I ordered a pair of the Aston boots in size 8 for my 7.5EE foot. It usually works even if the toe is a tad long. Generally isn't a problem. Full grain leather, GoreTex lining. If they are well made it sounds like a better than $120 boot, and strangely, I found the boot for sale in a couple of other places for around $240. Exact same boot as far as I can tell. Will follow up again when they arrive and get on my feet.

Incidentally, Bates has been making boots for the military and law enforcement for a l-o-n-g time.
  9. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you had a chance to try out your new Bates boots? What do you think about them. The toe box looks pretty high in the pics. I wonder if it wouldn't be awkward shifting.
  10. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to chime in regarding the Gaerne's to say I really like these boots, and I want to thank all of you who contributed to this thread. I bought them for "normal" R1200GS "Adventure" riding. Meaning long distance, frequently on trips, sometimes offroad, sometimes offroad like an idiot ( :D ) but mostly long distance riding / touring.

They do not support the ankles as well as the more sport oriented boots, which I knew going in, but they do have thick leather and one of the strap buckles right over my ankle area which will protect form impact or sliding to a large degree. They don't feel as though they will stop an ankle from rolling though. However, they are very comfortable - not "comfy for a bike boot", but actually comfortable. I will not need to pack separate shoes on trips now, unless I want to. They are also very comfortable temperature- wise, from 30 degrees (F) to 70 so far, and they're great. Took about 1 hour to feel broken in as they were slightly stiff when reaching my toes down under the shift lever at first.

I take a size 12 boot / shoe. I ordered an 11 on the advice of Atomic- moto but that was too small, so I had to go with a 12. (It was a bummer paying the extra $$$ for shipping them back, but AM was easy to work with and the return was no issue otherwise.
    To me, they seem to run about true to size.

Other than that, I don't have much else to add except to say I am very happy with them for my intended usage.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  11. jearnshaw

jearnshaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to have one pair do all boots but for being a manager at a auto parts store there is good chance of corrosive chemicals being dropped on my boots(in the past 7 seven years I gave up trying to keep track of how many shorts and pants I have gone through).

My wife bought me a pair of Doc Martins classics for Christmas and I have been using them for commuting on the bike, and yes I do know they are not a very safe boot to wear on a bike but the way I look at it it is better then wearing flip flops on a heavy cruiser.
  12. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Combat (not the lites) with the gum soles. It's a near copy of the old HighPoint Pro-GP. All leather is the best thing. The only reason plastic is so big now is because it is cheap. They take some breaking in but whey they learn your foot, there is nothing better. Second best is the Gaerne Oiled Leather. The only reason I defer to the Combats is because they look a bit less motorcycle-boot-ish under pants, and a boot that "Does it all" needs to do it under street pants, too. I also prefer the dual level gum sole on the Combat. Not a big fan of that flat sole on the Gaerne for extended walking, but that's just me. Either boot is awesome.
  13. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    are the Aerostich Combat (not the lites) too tall for wearing all over?
  14. kumakahn

kumakahn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They don't make them anymore. Just above the ankles, easy to take on and off with three buckles, great leather, no stupid goretex lining to make you sweat all day, warm in winter, and not too bad in summer. The only flaw was the sole - it lacked much grip. But, any cobbler can put a vibram sole on it. I have two pair, both modified that way, one I ventilated for summer myself. They have never gotten my feet wet in rain. They are a little big, but not big like most protective boots, and these give good protection to the feet and ankles. The dumbest thing Gaerne ever did was stop producing them.
  15. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    you've got the wrong link for Bates motorcycle leathers and boots
    http://www.batesleathers.com/boots/

[​IMG]
  16. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have these?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-raiden-dkr-boots

They seem to tick off a lot of boxes for a lot of riding. Not for hard-core off-road, but for those of us who venture onto dirt roads, tractor paths and light trails occasionally they look like they'd work well. I won't wear motocross type boots - they're just too much for my type of riding. Also, I have fairly short legs at around 28"-29" inseam, so even say, the Forma Cape Horn, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-cape-horn-boots, is probably a bit too high.

Appreciate any input.
  17. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    I have been using the Forma Terra boots. Had two hard get offs on the Trans East Trail both times bike landed on my left foot/ankle and lower leg. Only ended up with a sore ankle.

They are dry, noticeably breathable, comfortable and I have been wearing them for 12+ hours a day for weeks.
    http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Terra-Boots_p_2166.html
  18. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, all the Formas look nice but I just find the full height, off-road boots are too much for my more subdued riding. Might try the Cape Horns but I think they still might be overkill for me.
  19. Jake

Jake crustacean

Oddometer:
    Nope, he had the correct link. He did mention laces, and Big Bates makes boots for motorcycling applications. I own the supposed "waterproof" Bates GX8s with the composite toe box as the steel toe was definitely too tall for moto use. The composites are also challenged there, but better. Not a leak so far through some steady rain conditions, but no deluge testing yet. Still, I am not a fan of the feel, and there is no ankle reinforcement. I think the last boots standing (for me) that would offer feel (my #1 priority), with a good dose of weather and crash protection as well as wide enough sizing will be the Daytona Road Stars. Just gotta muster the money for em as they aren't cheap

Bates Fast Lanes sure are pretty, and can be resoled, but plenty of internet chatter exists about sizing issues. Not waterproof, and light on the protection.
  20. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever seen these or know what they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got them used - except they've never been worn. $30! They even have what looks like a waterproof membrane, (though I'm not counting on impermeability). Pretty sturdy and protective, and not too high but a little hard to walk in. Hopefully they break in some. Hey, can't beat the price.
    FREDO RIDER likes this.